druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

We are being spoiled here. When the Avatar-esque holds inevitably stop likely starting next Monday, it is going to be a little hard to swallow at first. :P 

59 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If it drops below 45m today, I'd be willing to bet a -18-20% hold is coming Monday. 

Thanks for proving my point from the beginning, really appreciate it.

Well I was trying to post a screenshot off Amazon but that 30kb whatever its getting on my nerves. But I was browsing and in the "most wished for movies/tv" section, it was 4 gifts: 3 Star Wars box sets and Inside Out.

and in the "wished for video game" section, 1 of the 4 was Battlefront. Disney taking over the world man Im telling you.

8 minutes ago, shruth said:

For adjusted original run (Note: I was VERY strict with these numbers so even if a film did $4,999,999m on a particular day it did not count as a $5m day. All these films could have been helped if the number was slightly rounded. Ex. Star Wars 7 did $119m on a single day but cannot be rounded up to $120m) 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E.T. had 187(+) days, maybe more but data ran out, with over $1,000,000 (Record)

Titanic had 139 days with over $1,000,000

Avatar had 86 days with over $1,000,000

TPM had 75 days with over $1,000,000

Jurassic World had 52 days with over $1,000,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E.T. had 75 days with over $5,000,000 (Record)

Titanic had 63 days with over $5,000,000

Avatar had 45 days with over $5,000,000

TPM had 37 days with over $5,000,000

Jurassic World had 27 days with over $5,000,000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E.T. had 21 days with over $10,000,000

Titanic had 44 days with over $10,000,000 (Record)

Avatar had 30 days with over $10,000,000

TPM had 21 days with over $10,000,000

Jurassic World had 16 days with over $10,000,000

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E.T. never had a day over $20,000,000 ($14,691,000 highest)

Titanic had 10 days with over $20,000,000

Avatar had 12 days with over $20,000,000 (Record)

TPM had 10 days with over $20,000,000

Jurassic World had 10 days with over $20,000,000

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has 10 days over $20,000,000 already (went over everyday so far)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titanic never had a day over $30,000,000 ($23,203,900 highest)

Avatar had 1 day over $30,000,000

TPM had 6 days over $30,000,000

Shrek 2 had 6 days over $30,000,000

Jurassic World had 5 days over $30,000,000

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has 9 days over $30,000,000 already (Record) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avatar never had a day over $40,000,000 ($30,986,700 highest)

TPM had 2 days over $40,000,000

Jurassic World had 3 days over $40,000,000

The Avengers had 4 days over $40,000,000

Spider-man had 4 days over $40,000,000

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has 7 days over $40,000,000 (Record)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TPM never had a day over $50,000,000 ($46,858,900 highest)

Jurassic World had 3 days over $50,000,000

The Avengers had 3 days over $50,000,000

The Dark Knight had 3 days over $50,000,000

Avengers: Age of Ultron had 3 days over $50,000,000

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has 4 days with over $50,000,000 (Record)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jurassic World had 2 days over $60,000,000

The Avengers had 2 days over $60,000,000

Spider-Man 3 had 2 days over $60,000,000

Iron-Man 3 had 2 days over $60,000,000

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has 3 days with over $60,000,000 (Record)

Jurassic World had 2 days over $70,000,000 

The Avengers had 2 days over $70,000,000 (Record)

The Dark Knight Rises had 1 day over $80,000,000

Avengers: Age of Ultron had 1 day over $80,000,000

Jurassic World had 1 day over $80,000,000

The Avengers had 1 day over $80,000,000

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 had 1 day over $80,000,000

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has 1 day over $80,000,000 (Record)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 had 1 day over $90,000,000

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has 1 day over $90,000,000 (Record)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has 1 day over $100,000,000 (Record)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has 1 day over $110,000,000 [($119,119,282) almost $120,000,000, bad break]

What 2 days did Jurassic World and the Avengers have over $70 million? Opening day is all I see for either. 

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

What 2 days did Jurassic World and the Avengers have over $70 million? Opening day is all I see for either. 

I think that's because it's adjusted. The $69M from 2012 becomes $70M, basically.

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Anyone know why the message field in PMs doesn't work sometimes on mobile? Was trying to ask Andy something but might as well do it here.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

For some reason in addition to not being able to edit, I'm unable to PM either anymore so will just have to say  thanks here @Darth AndyLL for coming to my defense on the previous page. Shouldn't have been a thing at all, sorry @GiantCALBears if it bothered you so badly. 

Start a support ticket, guys. Water Bottle is gonna be trying to fix some stuff tomorrow. 

• Like 1

For some reason in addition to not being able to edit, I'm unable to PM either anymore so will just have to say  thanks here @Darth AndyLL for coming to my defense on the previous page. Shouldn't have been a thing at all, sorry @GiantCALBears if it bothered you so badly. 

Coming to your defense by calling me a compulsive gambler? Maybe don't post/say things like this in the future. Especially in real life. You clearly don't understand what proposing to bet something means. 

59 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If it drops below 45m today, I'd be willing to bet a -18-20% hold is coming Monday. 

46 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Well, when you posted this link earlier in the thread:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=darkknight.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

I was curious so I looked up this one:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avengers11.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

And this one:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jurassicpark4.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

Same box office site you used.   :D

I take it you didn't read what I posted with that link.

TDK came out before the RealD/3D/IMAX boom. 

Pre-09 3D boom movies are roughly accurately estimated on BOM.  Post-Avatar 3D boom movies are not.  TDK made 533M with 50M from IMAX, did 158.4M on OW with 6.3M from IMAX.  Avengers did 207.4M on OW with 83M from standard 3D, 16.6M from IMAX, 8.3M from PLF.  Guess how many tickets both sold on OW?  The same, about 22M (even had the same over/under 25 splits).  Guess which had a better multiplier from that OW?  TDK, ergo TDK sold more tickets.  

If Avengers held the same 3D/IMAX/PLF splits throughout its run, it would have sold roughly 65M tickets.  We know that it lost IMAX screens eventually so that isn't the case and non-Avatar films tend to see gradually declining 3D shares as well (but this decline is slow, case in point JW fell from 53% on its OW to 49% on its 2nd).  Avengers sold somewhere around 67-68M tickets in its overall run, well below TDK's 73.5M (BOM slightly overestimates TDK too, doesn't properly account for IMAX).  Jurassic World is even easier, its got 3 more years of inflation AND a higher overall 3D share than Avengers did (53% of which 33% is standard 3D, 12% IMAX, and 8% PLF).  It quite obviously fell a few million tickets short of Avengers, so forget TDK.  I have it at 62-63M tickets sold. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spizzer said:

I think Rentrak has the data, because we get what seems like an accurate annual ticket sale figure on BOM every year (one of the few things that is accurate).  They must have numbers for each individual film as well, but there's probably pressure from studios to not report it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what they're doing.  They have an accurate ticket sale number for a particular time frame (quarter and year) and they just apply the same average price to each film in that frame, instead of evaluating each individual film's 2D/3D splits.  As I posted earlier this morning, TFA is at ~52.0M tickets sold if we use the approximate OW ticket price (28% RealD/12% IMAX/7% PLF, sums to 47% 3D overall).  Hopefully Deadline or BOM gives us an updated share with tomorrow's actuals.

FWIW 52.0M tickets in 10 (or 10.5) days is a record high.  Frankly, nothing else is even close, TDK is #2 with 40.4M tickets sold in 10 days.  SM1/TA/JW all did around 38M in 10 days. 

Very briefly

Studios have admits data by title, formats, screen etc, level of it kept varies

NATO release ticket average data from members

ratings influence  G, PG, R film average can vary significantly as well on top everything else

2d/3d splits can't take overall average and upsize it by average premium increase (if that's how u look at it) 

• Like 9

For the record, I do risk assessment for a living Andy. I guess all of us traders are degenerate gamblers lol. To me though, putting $ behind a thesis is the #1 way to show you really believe in something. Especially online where you can say almost anything & disappear without having to face any sort of consequences. It's not real life.

Just now, Rth said:

Very briefly

ratings influence  G, PG, R film average can vary significantly as well on top everything else

2d/3d splits can't take overall average and upsize it by average premium increase (if that's how u look at it) 

I love you.

13 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Good stuff shruth.

thanks these are some of the most interesting records IMO so I did some research and got the results. Also I find it interesting JW and The Avengers have 2 days over $70m but TWA only has 1 lol. 

• Like 1

You know CAL, I have been meaning to donate to the forum anyways, so if you still want your over 22% drop and you win bet I'll take it for $10, loser donates to the forum. Take it or leave it. But don't take it if you don't want to donate if I win. 

Done, if it goes less than 45m today & the drop is greater than 22.5% you will donate $10 to the forum. If it's less than 22.5%, I will donate $10 (on top of the two more months I promised to keep my premium account w/ B).

• Like 3

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Done, if it goes less than 45m today & the drop is greater than 22.5% you will donate $10 to the forum. If it's less than 22.5%, I will donate $10 (on top of the two more months I promised to keep my premium account w/ B).

Deal. Either way the forum wins. :)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rth said:

Very briefly

No but seriously thanks for that info :lol: cool to know.  I've been trying to hammer home the bolded point for ages.

Do you have an idea as to why they don't just report admissions?