baumer

RTH Thursday SW around 23 (celebration!!)

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

If there is one thing I've learned from following the BO, its that records you think are unbeatable or out of reach (non adjusted) seem to fall a lot quicker than expected. For a long time people thought Titanic wouldn't be beat for decades & it only took 12 years.

True but what SW7 is doing is pretty unprecedented. It's going to sell 100M+ tickets nobody has been close since Titanic and I'm not sure when the next movie will do it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Darth Rallax said:

Only 12 years?

That's a long-ass time.

Doesn't seem so long when we are discussing the entire history of movies & the BO. Who saw ET beating ANH as quickly as it did? Same w/ Avatar over Titanic? No one & thats my point despite both of those films having significant leads over the #2 all time domestic holders. Records are made to be broken when inflation is involved.

Doesn't seem so long when we are discussing the entire history of movies & the BO. Who saw ET beating ANH as quickly as it did? Same w/ Avatar over Titanic? No one & thats my point despite both of those films having significant leads over the #2 all time domestic holders. Records are made to be broken when inflation is involved.

"We all thought TFA's DOM was invincible but just look at the Avatar sequels all beat it within 5 years of TFA's release " - FutureCalBears

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

JW did 75m-80m tickets & thats after JP3 almost killed the franchise. You never know where/when the next monster is going to come from. Except for TFA which even had some wall st analysts before the release predicting $1b domestic.

12 minutes ago, druv10 Maul said:

True but what SW7 is doing is pretty unprecedented. It's going to sell 100M+ tickets nobody has been close since Titanic and I'm not sure when the next movie will do it. 

While we wait for estimates follow my top 3 reveal now. Jurassic World hasn't show up. Is the movie even in my top 10 at all? Find out soon.

NUMBER 3 IS COMING OUT IN JUST A FEW SECONDS!

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

JW did 75m-80m tickets & thats after JP3 almost killed the franchise. You never know where/when the next monster is going to come from. Except for TFA which even had some wall st analysts before the release predicting $1b domestic.

Erm I'm pretty sure I know :>

I don't think we will be getting any estimates tonight. I'm not going to be audacious enough to text our Asgardian deity tonight. And he did not come on last night so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get anything until late late tonight or tomorrow....or ask Tele to ask him :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

JW's below the TA1/TDK/SM1/Shrek2 and Avatar in admissions. Also, 75M admissions isn't close to 100-105M admissions SW7 will have. 

I am going with 37-38 mil friday. Thats about a 65% rise. TFA has been exceeding expectations all along on weekdays (maybe with the only except of Wed dec 30) however its weekends have fallen a little under what we expected after the thursday previews. While logically the weekend increase should take it a little over 40, I think it stays a little lower than that. I think we see a slight bump saturday to maybe 39.5, then a hardish fall sunday to about 28mil. That would be able a 105 mil weekend and a 30% drop from last weekend. 

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

I don't think we will be getting any estimates tonight. I'm not going to be audacious enough to text our Asgardian deity tonight. And he did not come on last night so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get anything until late late tonight or tomorrow....or ask Tele to ask him :)

He's been spotted lurking around man, good chance we get a number & if not TEXT THE MAN!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

rth was online 30 minutes ago

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Apart from Gone with the Winds reign at #1, Titanic's 12 years is longer than any other movie. Titanic beat ANH's re-released total by about 30% in it's initial run. TFA will beat Avatar by about the same margin. I think TFA might have a 15-20 year reign on the domestic crown if it beat's Avatar by, let's say, $400 million (which would be the very top end of estimates, more likely is closer to $300 million).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, druv10 Maul said:

JW's below the TA1/TDK/SM1/Shrek2 and Avatar in admissions. Also, 75M admissions isn't close to 100-105M admissions SW7 will have. 

No one at the beginning of 2015 expected JW to get even halfway to TFA (that maybe generous) that's my counter.

4 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Apart from Gone with the Winds reign at #1, Titanic's 12 years is longer than any other movie. Titanic beat ANH's re-released total by about 30% in it's initial run. TFA will beat Avatar by about the same margin. I think TFA might have a 15-20 year reign on the domestic crown if it beat's Avatar by, let's say, $400 million (which would be the very top end of estimates, more likely is closer to $300 million).

You could absolutely be correct, this discussion started because someone mentioned it would take 30 years.

• Like 1

No one at the beginning of 2015 expected JW to get even halfway to TFA (that maybe generous) that's my counter.

True but very few thought SW7 could beat Avatar much less beat it by 30M+ admissions. Inflation might help someone beat SW7's domestic gross but the 100M+ admissions isn't going to be easy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

The sad thing is that this will be the biggest thing ever domestic. Nothing can possibly overtake this after it crosses the $920+ mark. At least not for another 30 years of inflation. I hope I'm wrong and that cameron will prove me wrong, making a fantastic movie with avatar 2. 

I'm perfectly fine with a competently made SW film being #1 that long.  I'd certainly take it over JW and Avatar.

• Like 5