terrestrial

Wednesday 6th, 2016 | SW 7 $6.2M = $764.4 = Officially #1 | DH 1.54 | H8 1.44 | Sisters 1.16 | BigShort 869k | Joy 855k | p.7 chart

2 minutes ago, #ED said:

Meanwhile, pre sale tickets have picked up a bit in China and it looks to be headed to at least a 40M weekend(Sat+Sun only).

Where do you get those numbers? I don't know where to track presales in china!

I'm fairly certain that The Force Awakens' box office run will remain unmatched by any further Star Wars movies, unless they stop making them again and the same thing happens sometimes in 30 years. Here's why:

- We will get 1 Star Wars movie each year from now on. I don't think such a frequency of movies can hit the right strings again for such a box office run. Huge numbers, sure, but not TFA-level. See: Marvel Cinematic Universe.

- This movie's hype was unreal, and further enhanced by the original cast returning for the first time since 1983. That's not something the next movies can easily replicate. A "perfect storm of factors" of some sort.

- Although it was technically a sequel, it felt more like a reboot, and thus, could be watched by anyone. I have a feeling that the upcoming movies will have "required viewings" prior to them, which reduce box office intakes (generally).

• Like 1

I'm going crazy again :P

Need to take a car in for emissions tomorrow that's near my childhood movie theater where I saw all of the prequels and most movies from the late 1990s to 2007 and then again 2012 to 2014 (moved back to the area then away again Downtown). So I'm seeing TFA in their Regal RPX theater.

Saturday I'm seeing it at 12:20 IMAX for my final promotional ticket from Regal IMAX. But my girlfriend's mom wants to see it that day too so I'm seeing it at Cinetopia's GXL theater at 6 the same day. And I'm seeing it Monday in Los Angeles at the TCL Chinese.

Thats 16 viewings by the end of Monday!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I'm fairly certain that The Force Awakens' box office run will remain unmatched by any further Star Wars movies, unless they stop making them again and the same thing happens sometimes in 30 years. Here's why:

- We will get 1 Star Wars movie each year from now on. I don't think such a frequency of movies can hit the right strings again for such a box office run. Huge numbers, sure, but not TFA-level. See: Marvel Cinematic Universe.

- This movie's hype was unreal, and further enhanced by the original cast returning for the first time since 1983. That's not something the next movies can easily replicate. A "perfect storm of factors" of some sort.

- Although it was technically a sequel, it felt more like a reboot, and thus, could be watched by anyone. I have a feeling that the upcoming movies will have "required viewings" prior to them, which reduce box office intakes (generally).

I guess it all comes down to the 'finale effect' IX will have. If it has some really CRAZY stuff going on then I could see it matching TFA.

1 minute ago, The Gotham Bank said:

I guess it all comes down to the 'finale effect' IX will have. If it has some really CRAZY stuff going on then I could see it matching TFA.

I could see it if it was incredibly well-received, like Return of the King for example. An incredible finale, which warrants epic box office receipts.

With Colin Trevorrow at the helm though, I think that's highly unlikely. You never know though! Also, Episode IX will not be the last episode, and that ought to piss off some people who just want a proper finale for once.

13 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I'm going crazy again :P

Need to take a car in for emissions tomorrow that's near my childhood movie theater where I saw all of the prequels and most movies from the late 1990s to 2007 and then again 2012 to 2014 (moved back to the area then away again Downtown). So I'm seeing TFA in their Regal RPX theater.

Saturday I'm seeing it at 12:20 IMAX for my final promotional ticket from Regal IMAX. But my girlfriend's mom wants to see it that day too so I'm seeing it at Cinetopia's GXL theater at 6 the same day. And I'm seeing it Monday in Los Angeles at the TCL Chinese.

Thats 16 viewings by the end of Monday!

Damn, 16. I'm slacking behind with only 5.:P

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Gotham Bank said:

Has Rth forsaken us? Has he finally realized we are unworthy ?

Relax.

It's midweek and there isn't any widespread vacation to make things interesting.

He provides the numbers as a privilege to us, really. People need to stop assuming they're something we're entitled to.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, terrestrial said:

SPOILER = the Chinese clip that caused the buzz = music video that shows IMHO way too much of the movie. Not sure if I should delete it or not?

Reveal hidden contents

This is my new favorite advertising holy shit :rofl: 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I could see it if it was incredibly well-received, like Return of the King for example. An incredible finale, which warrants epic box office receipts.

With Colin Trevorrow at the helm though, I think that's highly unlikely. You never know though! Also, Episode IX will not be the last episode, and that ought to piss off some people who just want a proper finale for once.

Well, after Episode IX, I am both hoping and expecting that Star Wars is done with the whole Skywalker deal, and the events going on in the next trilogy take place like 1000 years later or something between those lines. The possibilities are endless. So in a way, it could be a proper finale.

11 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Relax.

It's midweek and there isn't any widespread vacation to make things interesting.

He provides the numbers as a privilege to us, really. People need to stop assuming they're something we're entitled to.

Oh, I'm relaxed. Are you? Your sig seems to be on fire.