WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

Just now, CJohn said:

I hope Benicio gets in but I doubt it. Sicario isn't the type of movie that gets a lot of love from the Academy. Emily Blunt is not getting nominated for sure.

I have him in fourth right now, but only because I'm predicting Sicario to be a surprise hit. Supporting Actor is nuts this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

This is all nonsense :lol: Mara and Bale can't be whatever voters decide to in different Awards shows. They are either supporting or lead. I even read somewhere Vikander might go for supporting as well at the Oscars. 

Actually, they can. It's the studios that decide the placement and then it's up to voters to decide where they will go, and sometimes they don't buy the fraud. Remember when Kate Winslet was placed in Supporting for The Reader and was nominated at all the awards in Supporting until Oscar nominations were announced and she ended up in Lead?

As for Vikander, I could see them not buying the fraud and placing her in Lead for The Danish Girl to allow her to get in Supporting for Ex Machina and giving her double nominations. We shall see.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I have him in fourth right now, but only because I'm predicting Sicario to be a surprise hit. Supporting Actor is nuts this year.

Sicario seriously looks like the type of movie that will get completely ignored at the Oscars :lol: 

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Can we open the Globes thread now while we're at it?

I am gonna do it now. 

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I wouldn't say she's locked, but have you seen how Sicario has been performing at the guilds outside of SAG? It's on a comeback, and in a year where the 5th (maybe even 4th) is a question mark she can get in.

Theron has a stronger chance than her and we all know she's not happening. Love Blunt but she'll have to wait a little longer for her first nomination. Good luck with The Girl on the Train next year.

On 1/9/2016 at 0:36 PM, Rman823 said:

After losing the domestic crown Fox needed a win. The Revenant seems to be that. It's a small win but still a win. 

Not as bad as WB needed it, Fox actually needed pretty good in 2015, lots of mid-range (or smaller budgeted blockbusters) films made them alot of money. they had Kingsman, Spy, Home, Maze Runner 2, Taken 3, Paper Towns and of course The Martian, and now the Reverent being highly profitable films. WB on the other had had several of the biggest bombs of the year Like Jupiter Ascending, In the Heart of the Sea, Pan, Run all Night The Man From U.N.C.L.E all together losing them 100s of millions of dollars. even Mad Max was barely profitable. thank goodness they had American Sniper and Creed otherwise they might be in trouble. 

Edited by Kalo

It's good to see the OS - China is running about 25% higher than domestic. Should be looking at another $130 to $160 million domestic and $150 to $190 million OS. China at this point based on everything I'm reading in the China forum is looking about $150 million and maybe even a little less. On the low end I think TFA will do about $2.05 billion. The high end is around $2.2 billion. Either way, it's a great reboot to the franchise and bodes well for all of these planned new installments :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:
btw, that movie has a legally binding limit - here in Germany - to allow only audience to watch it who are at least 16 years old, no matter if with or without parents at the cinema.

I had dropped it, but okay.  

Are you guys seriously under the impression that kids watching rated R movies is akin to abuse or negligence from parents?  Because that's what I'm getting from all this.