baumer

Baumer's Top 50 of 2015 5) Creed 4) Jurassic World 3) Trumbo 2) It Follows...number one on pg 13

18 hours ago, Baumer said:

30) Hannibal and Nance do a dance

29) Kylo Ren's shrink answers to the Crocodile Hunter with a badge

28) Kylo Ren's brother goes after Tommy Doyle

27) Pig Vomit sees dollars in California

26) Three super heroes take drugs and Zod provides the drugs. 

28 is Ant Man.

29 is related to Connie Britton but don't know what the last part means

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Baumer said:

30) Hannibal and Nance do a dance

29) Kylo Ren's shrink answers to the Crocodile Hunter with a badge

28) Kylo Ren's brother goes after Tommy Doyle

27) Pig Vomit sees dollars in California

26) Three super heroes take drugs and Zod provides the drugs. 

maxwell_smart__confused.gif

• Like 2

30) Self/Less:  God created man, man created immortality

Ben Kingsley plays Damian, a man dying from some kind of disease.  He also has a tremendous amount of guilt over some of the choices he has made in life.  He's very wealthy and this was the only way he ever knew how to connect with his daughter.  He would try to buy her happiness.  This never worked out for him and they have lead a troubled existence.  He has spent countless years and copious amounts of money looking for a cure for what ails him until one day he comes across an unscrupulous doctor who promises him a new lease on life by inserting his mind and his memories into a younger body.  The procedure works and Kingsley then becomes Ryan Reynolds, in another terrific performance.  Everything seems to be going well as he can now sleep with younger women, play basketball with the younger men and still have all the money in the world to live with.  Problems begin when he starts to uncover the truth.  Self/Less is a fascinating look into our preoccupation with youth and life and it asks some tough questions.  But it's not all existential, there is a very good action movie mixed in here and when Reynolds is called upon to show is Jason Bourne side, he does it with ease.  I've enjoyed every performance Reynolds has ever given, even in absolute drek like RIPD. So it's no surprise that he won me over here too.  What I wasn't expecting was to enjoy the film so much and to have the kind of discussion I did afterwards.  

Trivia:  This is a remake of a John Frankenheimer film called Seconds from 1966

Selfless-Movie-Pictures.jpg  

• Like 1

29) American Ultra:  There's nothing more dangerous than a stoned cold killer

Billed as a comedy, this is anything but a comedy.  Maybe they didn't want to market this as an action piece because it was too close to the Bourne films.  They share a common premise.  A super agent has memory loss and has no idea who he really is until everything starts coming back to him.  This is what American Ultra is about but it's also much much different than the Bourne films.  The first thing about the film that I noticed is that it is incredibly violent.  There are lots of deaths, lots of body parts that get removed and there are a lot of sadistic characters in the film.  Stealing yet another film he partakes in is Walton Goggins as the assassin known as Laugher.  You'll know why after about 30 seconds of screen time.  He's just one of the terrific cast they managed to put together for this film.  Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart are excellent as the leads and they seem to have a good chemistry as this is their second film together.  But then you have Topher Grace as the slimiest CIA asshole you can imagine and Bill Pullman shows up briefly but you won't forget his few moments of screen time.  American Ultra moves fast and there is comedy tossed in but it's much more of a serious action film and there is a lot to like about it.

Trivia:  Shockingly, the movie's plot is based on fact.  There was a project that the American government took part in during the 60's that mirrors the main points of the film.  

american-ultra-kristen-stewart-walton-go

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Man, I haven't even heard of half of these films.

They all got releases in the "domestic market".  I promise you, starting with number 28, it gets more mainstream.

28) Ant-Man:  Heroes don't get any bigger

I had very little expectation going into this film.  And sometimes that's the best way to see something.  I'm a big Paul Rudd fan but he just looked all wrong for this role, in fact, the trailers looked pretty silly imo.  I'm glad to say I was wrong.  Ant-Man, as origin stories go, is about on par with Iron Man.  The action is terrific and it it doesn't feel like you are watching a being the size of an ant do all that he is.  Marvel can be very hit and miss for my taste, but in this one they kind of hit it out of the part.  There's plenty of Paul Rudd humour as well and this helps carry the film.  I enjoyed the Marvel overlapping as well as there is a nice scene between Ant-Man and one of the Avengers and there is also talk in the film about Spider-man so they are building the blocks for Ant-Man and Spider-man to come on board with the rest.  I'm really curious to see how it all plays out.  But as a stand alone film, this is a terrific effort.

Trivia:  Rudd got in such terrific shape for the film, they had to alter his costume to make way for his new muscle tone.

lead_960.jpg?1437085158

• Like 5

27) Straight Outta Compton:  The world's most dangerous times created the worlds most dangerous group

I'm a white Canadian who grew up in Windsor Ontario.  I came from a fairly average family and I had a good upbringing.  Our family had it's problems like all families do but I was taught right from wrong and I was taught that the colour of your skin doesn't matter, it's who you are inside that counts.  I had black friends and Indian friends and Asian friends.  I didn't really know much about racism as a young kid.  But as I got a little older, living right across from Detroit, I was exposed to a lot of what was happening in the US.  And then I got into rap music.  At a young age, I loved the beat box rhythm of the Fat Boys and the smooth raps of Erikl B and Rhakim.  LL Cool J was my favourite growing up.  And then I discovered NWA who famously told the world to Fuck the Police and that they were Straight Outta Compton.  Their lyrics shocked the world and they shocked me.  I knew racism existed, I wasn't living in a vaccum, but they helped expose it to me on a whole other level. Straight Outta Compton is their story and it's one of the best films of the year.  I realize it might look a little low coming in at 27 but there were a few parts of the movie I took exception to that knocked it down a few notches.  But those few complaints aside, every performance is terrific and F. Gary Gray does an incredible job bringing this to the big screen.  Like a few films coming up in the top 15, this is a film that absolutely must be seen.

Trivia:  The actual scratching of the record done by Dre, at the beginning of the movie, is done by DJ Jazzy Jeff

Straight-Outta-Compton-poster.jpg  

• Like 4

After we get to Zod and his drugs, here are the next four after:

25) Joey Potter stands by while her husband fights the Nazis (but not war, in court)

24) Pennywise listens to Eames and all hell breaks loose

23) Six Degrees of you know who now includes Glen Lantz

22) They offered me a 100 grand, when I found out it was you, I said I'd do it for nothing. (well he's not in this anymore but he was in the original)

• Like 2