grim22

Monday #s 2/8/16

6 hours ago, a2knet said:

Rev crosses 150m. That's great. Will easily go past 170m. Didn't expect Rev to cross Django.

Tarantino on the other hand had a bad year with H8 struggling to touch 55m.

I was expecting >100m for H8 and <100m for Rev.

Rev can get to 200M with enough post Oscar buzz.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, druv10 said:

Great hold for SW7. With no football this weekend, it should continue to have great holds. Sub 20% drop should happen and I wouldn't be shocked with it finishing around 940M+. 

I have it at 950M by end of April. Assuming that Disney does not pull it because they want to bring it back next year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GuardianDevil said:

There is nothing to get over. I'm just baffled by the logic of dropping a top three film .

Its kind of like how I'm baffled over Donald Trump doing so well in the presidential polls.

Because not every theater sees the same level of traffic? Theaters aren't obligated to keep a movie after the first two weeks, ya know.

I don't know if Star Wars really needs extra screens now anyway. Its pta isn't high enough to justify multiple screens in a single theater anymore. If you want to see it chances are you won't have any problem getting into a showing regardless of the time.

However small the demand is for other films, it's still there and better to have less screens for Star Wars than none for those

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't know if Star Wars really needs extra screens now anyway. Its pta isn't high enough to justify multiple screens in a single theater anymore. If you want to see it chances are you won't have any problem getting into a showing regardless of the time.

However small the demand is for other films, it's still there and better to have less screens for Star Wars than none for those

It's been down to one screen at everywhere around for two weeks now.

• Like 1

On another note, the second life that Room has received thanks to the Oscars has been pleasantly surprising. It's now up to $11M after just three weeks, more than double the $5M it had made over three months before the nominations were announced. Definitely the movie that benefitted the most from the Oscar nominations this year just because of that. Very happy that significantly more people got the chance to discover it when it would've stalled at its pre-nomination total had it not been up for Best Picture.

• Like 3

SMH...

Ok, first, no, they couldn't drop it after two weeks. Do you even follow the box office? They were required not just to keep Star Wars for 4 weeks EVERYWHERE no exceptions (thus why it lost no theaters), but to leave it playing in their biggest auditorium.

Second, no, it hasn't been playing in just one screen in every theater for two weeks. It has been playing at 2 screens at my 11 screen multiplex the entire time, both the IMAX screen and a standard one. Same with another 18-plex here.

If you want to post opinions of course go for it but when people spew forth bullshit that's provably just wrong it's extremely obnoxious.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

SMH...

Ok, first, no, they couldn't drop it after two weeks. Do you even follow the box office? They were required not just to keep Star Wars for 4 weeks EVERYWHERE no exceptions (thus why it lost no theaters), but to leave it playing in their biggest auditorium.

Second, no, it hasn't been playing in just one screen in every theater for two weeks. It has been playing at 2 screens at my 11 screen multiplex the entire time, both the IMAX screen and a standard one. Same with another 18-plex here.

If you want to post opinions of course go for it but when people spew forth bullshit that's provably just wrong it's extremely obnoxious.

memes glozell you okay

• Like 6

12 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Look at those almost non-existent week to week declines for KFP3 and TFA. Nice!

Yeah, but a hell of a lot of good that does now for TFA!

Arrrghhhhh where were these low TFA declines back in early January? WHERE WERE THEY!?!?!?!? :(

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GuardianDevil said:

There is nothing to get over. I'm just baffled by the logic of dropping a top three film .

It's placement on the charts isn't important. The volume of business it's receiving is. At this point it doesn't need that many theaters to sustain its trends. It's still playing in pretty much every market, so if people want to see it, they can. The theater losses probably indicate that smaller houses with at most a few screens, are opting for newer films, which is probably the correct move on their parts. Major multiplexes can afford to keep it on a single screen for several more weeks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

Yeah, but a hell of a lot of good that does now for TFA!

Arrrghhhhh where were these low TFA declines back in early January? WHERE WERE THEY!?!?!?!? :(

:huh:

TFA declines for all January have been from solid to excellent. 22% decline for MLK weekend? Great! 46% against one of the greatest snow storms ever in East coast? Great! 53% decline after an inflated 90M NYE weekend? Really solid.

And now despite having burned a crazy amount of demand and facing 3 openers per weekend, the drops are kind of fantastic.

• Like 2

All 3 new openers look poised to do respectable business for the first time in a while! January was pretty brutal and so was last weekend.

It's true the relative business matters way more than the rankings. Notice how TFA was 3rd in a weekend where it cleared $20M and then 3rd when it didn't even hit $7M - more of a condemnation and statement of how lousy the other films performed rather than a matter of how well TFA did. Good luck ever placing 3rd in the summer with under $7M! Lol not going to happen.

Edit: look at TPM all the way back in 1999 and even though it had a better 8th weekend than TFA it ranked 7th. 

Edited by JonathanLB

7 hours ago, SWXII said:

I have it at 950M by end of April. Assuming that Disney does not pull it because they want to bring it back next year.

950?

How much do you expect per week for getting that number?

It should have sub -10/ -15 drops many weeks in a row besides the lost of theatres....really really difficult...

@JonathanLB  you sound really arrogant and rude when you make comments out of your ass about things. There are more theaters with 3 or less screens in the us than there are multiplexes. And take the rural states such as the Midwest where that is even more likely to be the case and you will have more single screens once you get away from the bigger cities. I have to drive a minimum of 1 hour to get to a theater with more than 1 screen but I have 6 or 7 single independent screens around me in the smaller towns. Again what is normal for your metro areas isn't a reflection of the whole. 

And if someone forgets that a particular movie had a 4 week contract instead of the standard 2 so what? Doesn't give you the right for more ridicule and ass like behavior, get a grip man. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, narniadis said:

@JonathanLB  you sound really arrogant and rude when you make comments out of your ass about things. There are more theaters with 3 or less screens in the us than there are multiplexes. And take the rural states such as the Midwest where that is even more likely to be the case and you will have more single screens once you get away from the bigger cities. I have to drive a minimum of 1 hour to get to a theater with more than 1 screen but I have 6 or 7 single independent screens around me in the smaller towns. Again what is normal for your metro areas isn't a reflection of the whole. 

And if someone forgets that a particular movie had a 4 week contract instead of the standard 2 so what? Doesn't give you the right for more ridicule and ass like behavior, get a grip man. 

Most people don't live in bumfuck, nowhere. Most theaters are multiplexes even in smaller areas, at least if we are talking theaters that play new movies. We have specialized single screen auditoriums for older movies or events or second run theaters but no I don't believe for a second there are more than a handful of theaters that small.

If you don't want to drive forever, don't live in the middle of nowhere? I mean it's not like anyone is forcing you to be there. 

Its one thing to forget facts, it's another to spout them off arrogantly like you have any clue what you're talking about when you don't. It happens here quite often I notice and usually by people with an agenda or ax to grind.