grim22

Monday #s 2/8/16

Just now, JonathanLB said:

Most people don't live in bumfuck, nowhere. Most theaters are multiplexes even in smaller areas, at least if we are talking theaters that play new movies. We have specialized single screen auditoriums for older movies or events or second run theaters but no I don't believe for a second there are more than a handful of theaters that small.

If you don't want to drive forever, don't live in the middle of nowhere? I mean it's not like anyone is forcing you to be there. 

Its one thing to forget facts, it's another to spout them off arrogantly like you have any clue what you're talking about when you don't. It happens here quite often I notice and usually by people with an agenda or ax to grind.

There are about 5,500 theaters in North America, there are more single screens than you think.

• Like 1

I think it is pretty obvious why TFA lost theaters at the point it did.

The first time it lost a few was for the 5th weekend (-312). On that weekend there were three new starts with 2300-3200 theaters, plus The Revenant, which was ahead of TFA and just in its second weekend of wide release, meaning it couldn't drop any yet. In fact it was still adding theaters at that point. Meanwhile The Forest couldn't lose any theaters either, as it was in its second weekend as well. Someone had to drop.

The weekend afterwards, there were yet another three new starts, ranging from 2600-2900 theaters, the three starters from the week before couldn't lose any theaters yet, while The Revenant actually made the jump to no.1. Every other wide-release dropped just as many if not more theaters than TFA did (which dropped 457).

Then there was the big drop for the 7th weekend (-807), which saw the release of FP3 in almost 4000 theaters, The Finest Hour with over 3000, Fifty shades of Black with over 2000 and Jane got a Gun with over 1000 theaters. Once again the starters from last week couldn't drop any theaters yet, meaning there were six movies in 2000+ theaters that couldn't be removed yet. Every other wide-release saw significant drops, with the only exceptions being 13 Hours and The Revenant, which had added theaters up until the week before. There were five movies which dropped the same or even more theaters as TFA, and they all started after TFA, at times even a few weeks later.

That brings us to last weekend, where KFP3 added theaters, two movies couldn't drop any yet, while three new movies got a wide release. Apart from Ride Along 2, TFA had the smallest decrease (-294) of the movies running in 1000+ theaters.

Simply put, the number of movies available - or better: the number of movies which couldn't be pulled yet - made it inevitable that TFA would drop theaters throughout this period, regardless of how well it performed. Contracts are contracts, these other movies didn't appear out of thin air, nor where they added on short notice.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Most people don't live in bumfuck, nowhere. Most theaters are multiplexes even in smaller areas, at least if we are talking theaters that play new movies. We have specialized single screen auditoriums for older movies or events or second run theaters but no I don't believe for a second there are more than a handful of theaters that small.

If you don't want to drive forever, don't live in the middle of nowhere? I mean it's not like anyone is forcing you to be there. 

Its one thing to forget facts, it's another to spout them off arrogantly like you have any clue what you're talking about when you don't. It happens here quite often I notice and usually by people with an agenda or ax to grind.

Where I choose to live is frankly none of your business and to be frank I would take the "bumfuck" nowhere as you called it with it wide open spaces to the stifling atmosphere of the city any day. And you sir are up there with the chiefest of one's with an ax to grind so chill. Do the multiplexes have a higher percentage of the gross receipts - of course they do, but that doesn't discredit the loner screens who keep the other areas supplied with product and just because it doesn't exist in your area (which is NOT representative of the nation at large) doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I think it's about time I put you on ignore - make my life easier....

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I do hope this incessant whining of "why are theaters dropping Star Wars" continues long after it hits DVD.

When is its home release date by the way?

Rumored in April I believe - Amazon has it for pre-order but no date yet.

3 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I'm not double dipping. I'll Netflix it if I just feel the need to see TFA before I get the 9 Film Collectors Set Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray sometime in 2020.

If there's a better edition out in 4 years so be it, SW is something I'm fine double dipping on. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I'm not double dipping. I'll Netflix it if I just feel the need to see TFA before I get the 9 Film Collectors Set Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray sometime in 2020.

I never double dip on anything. Having the film in my possession is enough. 

Moderation:

I wouldn't have thought arguments would arise based off simple screen counts, but I suppose STAR WARS is now a hot franchise and so its fans will be a little extra, just like the other franchise fans these days. But regardless, take it down a notch -- there's really no need to get abrasive over stuff like this.

57 minutes ago, ladyevenstar22 said:

sometimes i'm pretty sure i haven't missed much not being around a lot its friday where's the weekend thread ? where's thursday's for that matter ?

Seems to be that no one cared to make any weekday threads this week. But then again with numbers so boring....

On 2/10/2016 at 4:17 PM, Captain Craig said:

TFA will not be on Netflix.

TFA is the last movie contracted from Disney to Starz before Disney's contract moves to Netflix. So TFA will be the last Disney movie the Starz gets and the last Disney movie that Netflix misses out on.