BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

RT and Metascore of possible nominees.

1 The red turtle - 100% - average 8.7 - (7 reviews) - metascore, 89.

2 Zootopia - 98% - average 8.1 - (214 reviews) - metascore, 78.  

3 Finding Dory - 94% - average 7.7 - (179 reviews) - metascore, 77.

4 The Little Prince - 97% - average 7.5 - (36 reviews) - metascore, 71.

5 The Secret Life of Animals - 80% - average 6.1 - (10 reviews) - metascore, 64.

1 hour ago, Gabriel Sales said:

RT and Metascore of possible nominees.

1 The red turtle - 100% - average 8.7 - (7 reviews) - metascore, 89.

2 Zootopia - 98% - average 8.1 - (214 reviews) - metascore, 78.  

3 Finding Dory - 94% - average 7.7 - (179 reviews) - metascore, 77.

4 The Little Prince - 97% - average 7.5 - (36 reviews) - metascore, 71.

5 The Secret Life of Animals - 80% - average 6.1 - (10 reviews) - metascore, 64.

Little Prince isn't eligible

5 minutes ago, Gabriel Sales said:

Give me a reason not to be?

The movie isn't scheduled for a theatrical release in North America right now; A release in LA is required for any movie to be eligible. 

Edited by WrathOfHan

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's only releasing on Netflix right now, that doesn't make it eligible. 

Read the news carefully, the film will be released simultaneously in streaming system and in selected cinemas. Netflix will release in theaters to have chance to Oscar.

On 22/06/2016 at 4:42 AM, DamienRoc said:

By critical consensus, Zootopia is the better received film than any out of the Renaissance. Based on their history, I don't see Clements and Musker delivering something on that level as a film. Their storytelling and characterization sensibilities don't quite get there.

Now, if we're talking about music, then, sure, Moana should be well on top. The music is the weakest part of Zootopia, though.

Does critical consensus make such a difference when the percentages are pretty close to each other and when most of the critics who rated Zootopia and the Renaissance films aren't even the same people?

Also, it's not like music played the same limited role in Aladdin/TLM/will play in Moana that it did in Zootopia. For a musical, the music and songs are obviously a much stronger driving force of storytelling and characterizations than a non-musical. The songs have to be considered while talking about characterizations and storytelling in a musical. 

I agree that M&C's post-Aladdin ventures have been lacking, but if they manage to recapture the magic of Aladdin and Mermaid, which is very possible with LMM and The Rock on board, then I could see Moana seriously giving Zootopia a run for its money. And Moana also has the edge with a much closer to awards season release date. So it just needs to be more Aladdin/TLM than TPatF.

38 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@Spidey Freak

I don't think awards seasons matters as much for the Animated Feature category as it does for Best Picture.

Usually it doesn't but if there is a spectacular animated movie released in the awards season that is at least on par with the animated movies released in the summer or before then I think that movie may have an edge. That's one reason I think even Dory may have a better chance than Zootopia at the big win as it will be fresher in folks' minds but right now I'm just speculating. It will be an interesting year for the category no matter what. More years like this one plz. :) 

I have been suspicious for months that KFP3 might take it.  Now that Dory is out, I do not think Dory will win.  It looks like Pets might not even be nominated....

my predicts as of now...

1. KFP3

2. Zootopia

3. Moana

4. Dory

5. Kubo and the Two Strings

5 mainstream movies nominated this year!!!

1 minute ago, Matrix4You said:

I have been suspicious for months that KFP3 might take it.  Now that Dory is out, I do not think Dory will win.  It looks like Pets might not even be nominated....

my predicts as of now...

1. KFP3

2. Zootopia

3. Moana

4. Dory

5. Kubo and the Two Strings

5 mainstream movies nominated this year!!!

hmm I correct myself.  I just checked out KFP3's rotten tomato page and I have never seen the movie....  If it was between Zootopia and Dory, I would predict a tie...

2 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

hmm I correct myself.  I just checked out KFP3's rotten tomato page and I have never seen the movie....  If it was between Zootopia and Dory, I would predict a tie...

Lol, you seriously made that prediction without that info? I might as well say that Ice Age 5 is going to win.

On 6/28/2016 at 11:04 AM, cannastop said:

Lol, you seriously made that prediction without that info? I might as well say that Ice Age 5 is going to win.

it might b fun if you get a job with Blue Sky studios in the winter as part of the team that campaigns for Ice Age 5 during the awards season.  Perhaps you could be in charge of designing and decorating various Ice Age 5 campaign posters.