BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

4 hours ago, Morieris said:

Not animation but The Grand Budapest Hotel came out in March and still got nominations, including Best Picture. Last time I checked on RT (which doesn't matter too much but hey), Zootopia was still the highest rated movie of the year, and even on Metacritic, Kubo is second highest of all wide releases so far in 2016. 
And Shaun the Sheep Movie only made 19$ mil domestically (way better internationally), but even then, Boy and the World made less than 200k domestically and they both still got nominated.

Anything could happen.

I am not saying Zootopia will miss a nomination. It's one of the few nominations this year that are close to be considered a lock. But being released in March won't help to fight for the gold.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

I think you're buying into a bit of festival hype too much. Sing is currently in the news, but it won't always remain so. Disney tends to wait to pull the trigger on their animation marketing, but when they get the word out, they do it in a big way.

Besides that, while the reviews so far (only a handful, mind) are good, they aren't astoundingly so. If the reviews for Sing are just "solid" that's not really a level of confidence to get behind. The LEGO Movie has pretty universal acclaim and it missed a nom. Are you thinking Sing is going to get an even better response than LEGO?

As far as freshness of concept, I'd like to note that Sing's plot (group pulls off entertainment scheme to save ailing theatre) is pretty much the standard Muppets plot. It's a good and entertaining one, sure, but let's not make it out to be revolutionary.

While there might not be a frontrunner to win, the five films you list all stand a considerably better chance than Sing at getting nominated. (And I'd say Dory is probably the frontrunner regardless.) And if not those five, well, there's a host of others that have ample reason to secure a nom.

Hell, Trolls stands a better chance at a nom than Sing.

Trolls over Sing? Doubt it.

The problem with Lego is in its own name and concept. Animated feature about a brand of toys? No matter how good it is or the success. No matter, for example, how good Angry Birds would have been. Or even Trolls. Academy won't ever like to nom such things.

I know that Sing plot is not that original. But it feels fresh and it is kind of a musical. Being released close to other praised musical (La La Land) will be helpful. It is also meaningful to underline that Sing has premiered at TIFF.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stripe said:

Trolls over Sing? Doubt it.

The problem with Lego is in its own name and concept. Animated feature about a brand of toys? No matter how good it is or the success. No matter, for example, how good Angry Birds would have been. Or even Trolls. Academy won't ever like to nom such things.

I know that Sing plot is not that original. But it feels fresh and it is kind of a musical. Being released close to other praised musical (La La Land) will be helpful. It is also meaningful to underline that Sing has premiered at TIFF.

Now I guess I know how that Emoji film will fare next year...

Edited by slambros
Misspelled something

6 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Nothing is more boring than Pixar steamrolling everything every year.

In the last 5 years...

2015 - Pixar's Inside Out.

2014 - Not Pixar. Big Hero 6.

2013 - Not Pixar. Frozen.

2012 - Pixar. Brave

2011 - Not Pixar. Rango

Ultimately, it is not steamrolling every year ;)

Since this category was created, 8 Pixar films got the Oscar. 7 films from other studios.

I kinda thought The Good Dinosaur ended up snatching the nod last year despite its middling reviews and realized it didn't, which means Moana really needs to deliver to impress coming out as the 2nd Disney feature this year, otherwise it'll be the good dinosaur'd. If Moana does deliver big times, than Dory might have a chance of getting ignored...? with Sing in the mix now this race is getting HELLA intense..

Zootopia

Finding Dory

The Red Turtle

Sing/Kubo/Moana

14 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Zootopia

Your Name (kimi no na wa)

Red Turtle

Kubo & The Two Strings

Finding Dory/Moana

I am pretty confident in Your Name getting a nomination if it gets a 2016 release in the US.

We all think that it's Dory's nomination that's in jeopardy, not Moana's.

I think it's a bit too late for Funimation to release Your Name this year and have an Oscar campaign. They've never had an awards contender, no? I think 2017 would be a far better bet.

Then again, The Boy and the Beast got an Oscar qualifying run in 2015 that didn't lead to a nomination.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

We all think that it's Dory's nomination that's in jeopardy, not Moana's.

I think it's a bit too late for Funimation to release Your Name this year and have an Oscar campaign. They've never had an awards contender, no? I think 2017 would be a far better bet.

Then again, The Boy and the Beast got an Oscar qualifying run in 2015 that didn't lead to a nomination.

Boy and the Beast only got a US release in March this year.

Your Name should definitely release next year if it wants more credibility. Next year, it definitely wouldn't be so crowded... at the moment, the only 2017 animated films that I could see definitely getting nominations are Pixar's Coco and Triplets of Belleville director Sylvian Chomet's The Thousand Miles. Most other animated films seem to be either sequels or directed towards the younger audience.

It would be great to see a non-Ghibli anime film be nominated, but I think Your Name wouldn't be able to achieve that this year.

Not really. They throw a bone or two but they don't go much out of their way to nominate them unless they have a known pedigree, and there's already three wide releases this year with as good or better reviews than the winners in three of the last four years.

The Red Turtle would likely be the bone thrown this year, though

On 9/17/2016 at 5:31 AM, slambros said:

Your Name should definitely release next year if it wants more credibility. Next year, it definitely wouldn't be so crowded... at the moment, the only 2017 animated films that I could see definitely getting nominations are Pixar's Coco and Triplets of Belleville director Sylvian Chomet's The Thousand Miles. Most other animated films seem to be either sequels or directed towards the younger audience.

It would be great to see a non-Ghibli anime film be nominated, but I think Your Name wouldn't be able to achieve that this year.

There's also The Breadwinner, which is highly likely to be Cartoon Saloon's third nominee.

But, yeah, without WDAS and Cars 3 likely to see a miss, there isn't much that seems obvious right now. Plus, there isn't a high profile stop motion film that I'm aware of. LAIKA's next is set for '18, as is Aardman. Tim Burton doesn't have one specifically in the works, and who knows what's happened with Henry Selick.

DWA's something of a wildcard, because while I don't think either Boss Baby or Captain Underpants are the sort of films that would garner awards recognition, it might be a case of waiting and seeing what they're actually like. And DWA can bring it when it comes to visual impressiveness, which does count for a lot in animation. (Honestly, in any other year, I'd say KFP3 would have a strong case for a nomination, because it's gorgeous to look at, but the race this year is just too damn tight.)

Still, there's a lot of room for small things, perhaps even completely unknown things in the vein of Boy and the World. It's kind of exciting, in a completely different way than the race this year is exciting.

• Like 1

Awards Circuit September 26

http://www.awardscircuit.com/oscar-predictions/best-animated-feature/

1. Moana” – (Walt Disney Pictures)
  2. Zootopia” – (Walt Disney Pictures)
  3. Kubo and the Two Strings” – (Laika)
  4. The Red Turtle” – (Sony Pictures Classics)
  5. Miss Hokusai” – (GKIDS)

1. Finding Dory” – (Pixar)
  2. Sing” – (Universal Pictures)
  3. April & the Extraordinary World” – (GKIDS)
  4. The Secret Life of Pets” – (Illumination)
  5. The Little Prince” – (Netflix)

It's still that #5 spot that's up for grabs.

• Like 2