CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

Lol.  You aren't going to be taken seriously for even a second if you keep bringing up Hulk, a movie starring Ed Norton.  

If you are honestly trying to compare the A list status of Thor and Hulk to extended cameo appearances by Ant-Man and Spider-Man, then you really aren't going to be taken seriously.  

Lol...I think anyone that calls this a CA movie because Hulk and Thor are missing shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Spider man was used as a big selling point for this movie. Regardless of a "cameo" role

Yeah. Those who are silly enough not to accept that this is a great bo opening, are now being ridiculous by calling it a CA movie. Far from supporting their movie they are making a mockery out of it.

Y'all sitting here going back and forth on opening  weekend numbers getting pissed. This movie has a legit shot at passing The Avengers for overall total gross. Word of mouth man. Everyone is gushing about the movie. Having Black Panther, Spidey, and Ant-Man give great performances will only boost their next movies as well. 

Disney/Marvel high-fiving right now. 

Edited by Iron Raf
  • Like 1

I said 60m yesterday and people said I was being optimistic.Tomorrow is hard to predict because Mothers Day. I do not know if it will have positive or negative effect. However I am thinking it should get close to Ultron's 50m.

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

He considered Thor and Hulk A-List heroes missing from CW. So I countered that Ant-Man would fit the category too by their bo standards.

They are A List Avengers. When people think of Avengers they don't think of Antman and Spiderman. That's my take.

• Like 5

Just now, eXtacy said:

I said 60m yesterday and people said I was being optimistic.Tomorrow is hard to predict because Mothers Day. I do not know if it will have positive or negative effect. However I am thinking it should get close to Ultron's 50m.

Ultron's Saturday was depressed because of the fight on Saturday.  So not a good comparison 

Just now, ecstasy said:

They are A List Avengers. When people think of Avengers they don't think of Antman and Spiderman. That's my take.

Ok. I am thinking from a bo perspective. The point was that how much did absence of Thor and Hulk impact CW's ow. I think not much as AntMan and Spidey were more than enough substitutes.

Just now, John Marston said:

Ultron's Saturday was depressed because of the fight on Saturday.  So not a good comparison 

Yeah but big openers with strong word of mouth usually have great Sunday holds. I expect 48-49 for Sunday.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Spider man was used as a big selling point for this movie. Regardless of a "cameo" role

Well another reason was to bring the character back to credibility so they could make more money off of him with his own movies.

Just now, ecstasy said:

Well another reason was to bring the character back to credibility so they could make more money off of him with his own movies.

Coupling him with IM is pure epic. Helps out both of them imo. IM too gets such a fresh arc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I began following box office when The Lost World opened. Heh.

That was an exciting time. I couldn't believe it hit $72 million. I remember hearing people complaining about how they were trying to go but everything was sold out, which was a huge deal in my town at the time. That kind of thing never happened there in those days.

It's become so much easier to track box office nowadays. I remember all the physical research I had to do to figure out how a film was performing in comparison to previous movies. 

1 minute ago, Intergalactic Ping Pong said:

That was an exciting time. I couldn't believe it hit $72 million. I remember hearing people complaining about how they were trying to go but everything was sold out, which was a huge deal in my town at the time. That kind of thing never happened there in those days.

It's become so much easier to track box office nowadays. I remember all the physical research I had to do to figure out how a film was performing in comparison to previous movies. 

I have been reading Box Office Guru since it started. How old I feel.

• Like 1

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

So 60M for today and the same tomorrow?? 60M?That would put this around 197M for the weekend, right???

225 if it can manage 90m tomorrow. So fingers crossed!

• Like 7

I consider it a Cap and IM movie. 

The main story is clearly focused on Cap, Tony and Bucky. Every one else is playing a big to small secondary role in this. 

The majority of the story telling and action is very much similar to everything in the first two acts of TWS. The only part that even remotely feels like an Avengers movie is the airport sequence. 

Again, this is just how I personally feel about it. I fully understand that the marketing attempted to sell otherwise. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Thor dropped 27% which was the last Marvel movie to open on Mother's day. 

Other Marvel May openings 

Avengers Age of Ultron 11%

Avengers 18%

Amazing Spider Man 2 29%

Iron Man 30.3% 

Iron Man 3 30.9%

Iron Man 2 32%

I would maybe go with a 25%. Less than Amazing Spider Man 2 and more than the Avengers.  Which would have it for a 180m OW. 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia

1 minute ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Thor dropped 27% which was the last Marvel movie to open on Mother's day. 

Other Marvel May openings 

Avengers Age of Ultron 11%

Avengers 18%

Amazing Spider Man 2 29%

Iron Man 30.3% 

Iron Man 3 30.9%

Iron Man 2 32%

I would maybe go with a 25% less Amazing Spider Man and more than the Avengers.  Which would have it for a 180m OW. 

Yeah I think 22-25% could happen for a 45-47m Sunday, 180-182m ow.

5 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

So 60M for today and the same tomorrow?? 60M?That would put this around 197M for the weekend, right???

Probably 58-60 for Saturday. 

Probably around 50m on Sunday, give or take

180-185m