CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

It’ll probably be another few weeks before we find out what the reported budget is. 

Cinderella numbers would be a good comparison/goal for this maybe? $200-250m domestic and $500-600m worldwide. 

Edited by Krissykins

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Premiere on May 8th, that´s early 

Reactions allowed right after, apparently 

They must be confident that it won´t be panned

I think at this point they need all the buzz that they can get since this film seems to not be getting much buzz on social media. Hopefully good reviews will draw crowds.

36 minutes ago, joselowe said:

I think at this point they need all the buzz that they can get since this film seems to not be getting much buzz on social media. Hopefully good reviews will draw crowds.

Pre sales have been good and early tracking suggests already pointing to on opening around Aladdin 4 weeks out so Disney definitely not worried about buzz. They probably don’t see a reason to hold reviews if they are positive.

Edited by PrinceRico
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Do we have any evidence of “not much buzz on social media”? I see something about it on twitter every day. 

The recent posts by the main account on twitter have millions of views. 

• Like 1

I feel like the opposite and there is social buzz for this? Feeling like it can breakout… a lot of people seem very hyped for Halle here. Unless audiences don’t like it. Could also be an Aladdin situation where critics don’t but people do. 

On 4/28/2023 at 5:36 PM, grey ghost said:

"One Jump Ahead" and "Prince Ali" are A Tier.

"A Whole New World" and "A Friend Like Me" are S Tier.

So Aladdin is on par with TLM.

I believe their point was on popularity? I would strongly argue for TLM as the second most popular/relevant Renaissance soundtrack overall (behind TLK of course). That could certainly help. 

I'm not worried at all about DOM. What's going to be more challenging is INT especially asia. Aladdin made 250M just from china+japan+korea. China has been abandoning hollywood, SK has been much weaker post pandemic in general and Disney has royally fucked up its standing in Japan. Could see -100 to -150 just from these 3 markets.

• Like 1

Think people forget Just how popular Hallie and her sister is thanks to Grown-ish. Casting her was one of the best things Disney could have done. Between this and the color purple she e we I’ll have a great year 

Edited by PrinceRico

On 5/2/2023 at 10:07 AM, joselowe said:

These films, have a big built in audience, don't ask me why.

4 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

Starting to think this will break out big. Hype is real and pre sales are looking good. Will reviews be out next Monday or just social media reaction?

I am sure we will see a lot of controversy fomr the usual gang of "anti woke"idiots.

I hate them because they out me in a tough spot: I despise racsim but also dislike these live action reamkes a lot.

4 hours ago, Lurrrrk said:

Financially, the movie will do well. But not a billion.

The question is whether it can pull similar domestic/international ratios as Aladdin AND if it can do domestic numbers similar to Aladdin.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I am sure we will see a lot of controversy fomr the usual gang of "anti woke"idiots.

I hate them because they out me in a tough spot: I despise racsim but also dislike these live action reamkes a lot.

I think that's going to be the issue with this film. I see a lot of people on here downplaying that but any social media post on this film the top commented posts are from the anti-woke crowd. I think it's going to hurt this film a lot more than people expect at the box office. 

22 minutes ago, joselowe said:

I think that's going to be the issue with this film. I see a lot of people on here downplaying that but any social media post on this film the top commented posts are from the anti-woke crowd. I think it's going to hurt this film a lot more than people expect at the box office. 

Why would it. These same people were never going to see the movie and anybody with half a brain just laughs at them. This is 2023. Families are not going say you can’t see this movie because the star is black and night white and even the very few who do won’t make an impact. If anything this film will get a bigger boost from the urban crowed because of Haille 

Edited by PrinceRico