CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

The international reviews being filled with hate towards this movie is the sad and foregone culmination of 4 years of culture wars and online discussions about this project.;I don't think, however, that it is fair to label every criticism of this movie coming from the asian or european public as racism.

At least in my country, Italy, Emma Watson was savaged for her take on the Belle's role, with criticism going from her looks to her acting abilities, with the film itself being ripped apart. Trust me, if you understand a bit of italian just google the italian disney forum and you will read some incredibly harsh criticism, and that was coming from the disney fandom. 

Every actor, no matter the skin color, will get his/hers share of haters. I think that we all should condemn racism and generally be polite and kinder online,  but there also should be a fine line where criticizing an actor for their job (which includes also being a right fit for a role) should be allowed and not deemed as some kind of political bias.

• Like 5
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 4

It's funny that people outside the US trash America as some racist hotzone, but having lived in various European countries, no amount of racism in America comes close to the racism I've witnessed in Europe. And that's not even Asia or Latin America. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

The international reviews being filled with hate towards this movie is the sad and foregone culmination of 4 years of culture wars and online discussions about this project.;I don't think, however, that it is fair to label every criticism of this movie coming from the asian or european public as racism.

At least in my country, Italy, Emma Watson was savaged for her take on the Belle's role, with criticism going from her looks to her acting abilities, with the film itself being ripped apart. Trust me, if you understand a bit of italian just google the italian disney forum and you will read some incredibly harsh criticism, and that was coming from the disney fandom. 

Every actor, no matter the skin color, will get his/hers share of haters. I think that we all should condemn racism and generally be polite and kinder online,  but there also should be a fine line where criticizing an actor for their job (which includes also being a right fit for a role) should be allowed and not deemed as some kind of political bias.

Ok then how does Halle not fit the role?

Because to me she nails the voice and innocence of Ariel.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Ok then how does Halle not fit the role?

Because to me she nails the voice and innocence of Ariel.

I'm sorry but that's not up to me to say, if you read the italian reviews that were posted a couple of pages ago you might find out what some of them think about that. I don't mean to be unpolite, but I won't comment on Bailey's appearance or acting abilities beacause I don't want to end up in trouble with some "royalty" mod😅.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

It's funny that people outside the US trash America as some racist hotzone, but having lived in various European countries, no amount of racism in America comes close to the racism I've witnessed in Europe. And that's not even Asia or Latin America. 

Is it really common that people outside US trash America as some racist hotzone? Most of this kind of trash I have seen is from Americans themselves.

In Latin America countries, there seems to always been the idea that USA was pretty progressive.

That said, recently, some Latinos have complained when Americans say "weird" things about latinos (for example: Anya Taylor Joy being called a POC).

Edited by Kon

People wondering why they're not allowing just any bigot to write a review as if this movie hasn't been review bombed since the casting of Halle.

Halle Bailey had a stunning performance of Part of Your World at Disneyland and the video was review bombed for no good reason whatsoever. 

It's racism, plain and simple.

• Like 2

When you think about it, a white mermaid would have been boring. We already had that. Emma Watson looked like Belle and was terrible and redundant. 

But still, I don't trust Rob Marshall as a director. 

And I hate that they extend the runtimes to these animated classics by almost an hour. 

• ...wtf 1

18 hours ago, dudalb said:

120 today is like 180 Million pre 2020.

Theater attendeance has taken a huge hit; biggest since the coming of TV in the late 1940s.

The 180 to 200 Million openings are going to be few and far between. It's the n ew reality:Streaming has made huge cuts into ticket sales.

The-numbers has a wonky little model that thinks the hit is more ~30% (non-inflation adjusted) relative to pre-pandemic comps so more like 170M by that logic. https://www.the-numbers.com/news/254240830-Weekend-predictions-Fast-X-could-be-speeding-towards-70-million-plus-opening

I don't know if I really buy that though. 

Theater attendeance has taken a huge hit; biggest since the coming of TV in the late 1940s.

In the US. In Europe theater attendance seems...flat for over a decade?

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

20 minutes ago, Flopped said:

When you think about it, a white mermaid would have been boring. We already had that. Emma Watson looked like Belle and was terrible and redundant. 

But still, I don't trust Rob Marshall as a director. 

And I hate that they extend the runtimes to these animated classics by almost an hour. 

The race of the character shouldn't really make more or less boring this movie. In any case, it would depend on the acting ability.

Halle Bailey seems to portray Ariel a lot better than Emma Watson portrayed Belle. The character of Ariel being more charismatic and expressive than Belle may help too.

Edited by Kon

Lol

15 minutes ago, Kon said:

The race of the character shouldn't really make more or less boring this movie. In any case, it would depend on the acting ability.

Halle Bailey seems to portray Ariel a lot better than Emma Watson portrayed Belle. The character of Ariel being more charismatic and expressive than Belle may help too.

plus Halle can actually act and sing. She was perfect for this role.

• Like 1

No one is saying this a masterpiece but reviews seem fine for what it is... Essentially Aladdin type reviews which is what most expected. 

Thank goodness MiB wasn't a popular enough comic book for people to care too much that Will Smith and not Chris O'Donnell as the lead. Nowadays... Yeesh. The one thing I'm seeing that's getting consistently praised or at least a good enough pat on the back is Bailey's Ariel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Is it really common that people outside US trash America as some racist hotzone? Most of this kind of trash I have seen is from Americans themselves.

In Latin America countries, there seems to always been the idea that USA was pretty progressive.

That said, recently, some Latinos have complained when Americans say "weird" things about latinos (for example: Anya Taylor Joy being called a POC).

Probably a quarter of the general US population self identify as progressive.

But that's way higher for people under 30.

Which scares the boomers to death.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

China MN Reviews are... Will give P-N Ratio at noon

Loop Waiting GIF

What is a P-N Ratio?

I assume it isn't good, but I'm curious aboit the meaning.

Edited by Kon

4 hours ago, Flopped said:

yeah...this is something lot of people ignore. I am born and brought up in India and I would say colorism is a big disease here...right from your childhood, basically most of the people's default mindset is you are beautiful if you are fair skinned and you are ugly if you are dark skinned despite good % of Indian population being relatively dark skinned. This is also reflected a lot in Indian movies. You also rarely see lead actors/actresses in Indian movies that are dark skinned despite decent % of population being relatively dark skinned. It's usually side characters, villains in the movies that are dark skinned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Thank goodness MiB wasn't a popular enough comic book for people to care too much that Will Smith and not Chris O'Donnell as the lead. Nowadays... Yeesh.

This isn't really a hypothetical, it's just an example that seems to go in the opposite direction of this argument. Will Smith was cast as Deadshot in 2015/2016 and as the Genie in 2018. My sense is that this didn't attract that much controversy (Deadshot's not an A list comic book character but he's decently sized and the film's lead role) and neither did his casting in Wild Wild West. I really don't think it's clear that audiences in 2023 would care more about a "race swaps" than those in 1995.  

I don't think it appears that casting "pre-sold" movie stars attracts as much culture war backlash on race & casting controversies.   

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

4 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

This isn't really a hypothetical, it's just an example that seems to go in the opposite direction of this argument. Will Smith was cast as Deadshot in 2015/2016 and as the Genie in 2018. My sense is that this didn't attract that much controversy (Deadshot's not an A list comic book character but he's decently sized and the film's lead role) and neither did his casting in Wild Wild West. I really don't think it's clear that audiences in 2023 would care more about a "race swaps" than those in 1995.  

I don't think it appears that casting "pre-sold" movie stars attracts as much culture war backlash on race & casting controversies.   

The current culture war BS was didn’t really exist back when MiB came out. This crap started to become prominent somewhere around 2014/2015, when certain people were whining about John Boyega in TFA

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The current culture war BS was didn’t really exist back when MiB came out. This crap started to become prominent somewhere around 2014/2015, when certain people were whining about John Boyega in TFA

You had a lot of whining when The first "Thor"came out in 2011 because of the Heimdall casting.

But anyway, it was the election of You Know Who who put his crap into high drive. it's bigotry, pure and simple.

• Like 2