Dementeleus

Tele's List of 100 Lesser-Known or Under-Appreciated Films Everyone Should See (THE LIST IS COMPLETE! p26)

1 hour ago, Free State of Tele said:

I'll have the last two up later. I just survived IDR and I need to recover.

Serves you right for not seeing Free State of Jones first. Y'all change your names and avatars but don't show any real commitment to your cause

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Serves you right for not seeing Free State of Jones first. Y'all change your names and avatars but don't show any real commitment to your cause

Pink did start this. And we know about Pink and loyalty...

• Like 2

2. The Battle of Algiers (1967)

The_Battle_of_Algiers_poster.jpg

written by: Franco Solinas, (story by Solinas and Gillo Pontecorvo)

directed by: Gillo Pontecorvo

starring: Jean Martin, Saadi Yacef, Brahim Haggiag, Tommaso Neri

Synopsis:

In the 1950s, fear and violence escalate as the people of Algiers fight for independence from the French government.

This stunning movie is so far ahead of its time it feels like it was made within the last few years, as direct commentary on political events in the Middle East. It’s amazing to consider that it was made over 50 years ago, and in fact in many ways is far bolder and more daring than most films today.

It’s a docudrama about the Algerian struggle for independence, and in particular the insurgency/counter-insurgency warfare that occurred in Algeria in the late 1950s. Leaders of the Algerian resistance and the French military commanders are all major characters, and the movie (while edging slightly towards a sympathetic view of the Algerian freedom fighters) is very neutral and fairly objective about depicting the harshness of war. Both sides commit atrocities, and the movie doesn’t shy away from any of them: the partisans execute people they think are French collaborators and they use terror bombings against civilians. The French military use torture and murder to achieve their ends.

When you consider that these same events are essentially happening today (and have been happening, off and on, throughout North Africa and the Middle East for the past several decades), it’s quite suddenly. Not a pretty picture of humanity. However, the movie is a brilliant piece of filmmaking. Pontecorvo wanted an immediacy to his images, he wanted it to feel like you were watching newsreel footage. So he consciously designed shots to fit what news crews would shoot. Most of the cast were Algerian non-actors, and he managed to get thousands of Algerian extras for the rioting and crowd scenes. The result is really impressive.

Random bit of trivia: Pontecorvo was a legitimate composer as well as director, and collaborated on the score with the legendary Ennio Morricone.

• Like 6

1. The Apu Trilogy (1955-1959)

Pather Panchali / Aparajito / Apur Sansar

Apu-Trilogy.jpg

written and directed by: Satyajit Ray (from the novels by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay)

starring: Karuna Bannerjee, Kanu Bannerjee, Soumitra Chatterjee

Synopsis:

A “coming of age” story, set in the 1920s, about a young boy named Apu, following his life from birth in a poor village in rural Bengal to the early maturity of his mid-20s.

Okay, yes, this is another cheat: three movies in one slot, and they weren’t even one production. Nonetheless, this is such a monumental trilogy of world cinema, and they’re all so connected, it feels impossible to separate out to just one. Plus, for many years these movies weren’t screened often — even if you were a major cinephile they were hard to find, even at arthouse and museum screenings (let alone home video). And until recently it seemed like these would be lost forever, since their master prints were horribly damaged in a warehouse fire. But Criterion managed to fund a brilliant restoration process, and the result were new 4K masters that toured briefly last year and were quickly followed by a Bluray/DVD release.

But enough about the technical problems. Let’s talk filmmaking. Satyajit Ray had been working as a graphic designer and commercial artist when he came across the source novels (which are popular in Bengal) — ironically, he had been commissioned to design covers for a new edition. He was inspired to shoot a movie by French director Jean Renoir, who had come to Bengal to location-scout for his movie THE RIVER. Around the same time, Ray saw BICYCLE THIEVES and was inspired by the vividness of De Sica’s Italian neorealism. 

To modern audiences, the most immediate reference for the Apu trilogy is Linklater’s BOYHOOD. The trilogy is essentially BOYHOOD in Bengal, though it spans a greater period of time than Linklater’s movie, and Ray uses different actors for Apu as he grows into manhood. And Apu’s life is certainly fraught with more complications than Mason’s.

PATHER PANCHALI, the first film in the trilogy, was Ray’s first movie. It was also his cinematographer’s first movie (up to this point, he had worked in still photography only). But Ray immediately proved he had a masterful instinct when it came to movies: how to cast non-actors (or non-film actors) to perfectly fit what he needed in a character, how to frame shots to capture an emotional moment or beat, how to use visuals as subtext. PATHER PANCHALI is a magical film, there’s really no other way to put it. I’ll be frank: from a western sensibility, especially if you haven’t watched a lot of Indian movies, there’s an adjustment period where you initially are just struck by the cultural differences: how people eat, where they live, how they look, etc. But very quickly after that, what you begin to realize is how similar all of us actually are. The characters in PATHER PANCHALI are universal, and their small-scale problems are things we all go through: how to deal with a perceived slight from a neighbor, the guilt or shame when you’re caught stealing something trivial, how you see your parents (and how they see you). The glory and joy of being a small child exploring and playing.

Both Tragedy and happiness occur in PATHER PANCHALI, and the story continues in APARAJITO, which now follows Apu from the age of roughly ten until his university years. What’s interesting when you watch all three films back-to-back is you can see how Ray grows as a filmmaker: the shots become more complex, he’s experimenting with bigger ideas, and it fits the context of the story, as little boy Apu begins to become someone who moves to other places and begins to find new adventures and new interests. And Ray’s filmmaking skill grows even more with APUR SANSAR, the conclusion, which takes Apu to some very dark places before ending on a moment of startling joy.

The acting is good, especially considering many of the characters were non-actors, and Ray manages to get excellent performances from the young kids (a hard thing to do). The actor who really stands out for me is the woman who plays Apu’s mother: she is drop-dead amazing and vividly communicates every emotional beat of a very complex character. 

What really stands out across all three films is Ray’s humanity and compassion towards his characters. There’s not a single one who falls into simple stereotype; everyone exhibits nuances both good and bad. Apu can be cruel at times, though he’s clearly a sweet and kind boy (and man). His mother and father both love him and struggle with their own hopes, desires, fears, and resentments. Even people that seem to start out as basic stock characters — a smug neighbor who looks down on them, a father-in-law who’s harsh — have moments of genuine kindness and generosity. They’re not defined by their negative qualities.

I didn’t see these movies until recently, but I’m so glad I did. I found them transcendent. If you liked BOYHOOD at all, I think you owe these a viewing. Akira Kurosawa was a big fan of Ray's work. He has a famous quote: "To have not seen the films of Ray is to have lived in the world without ever having seen the moon and the sun."

The moon and sun are out there. Go see them.

• Like 6

And here's the full, completed list!

THE COMPLETE LIST:

100. A Bridge Too Far
99. The Edge
98. Tequila Sunrise
97. The Bounty
96. Scanners
95. Dead Again
94. The Long Goodbye
93. After Hours
92. Tucker: The Man and His Dream
91. 9
90. Down and Out in Beverly Hills
89. Dip Huet Seung Hung
88. To Live and Die in L.A.
87. My Man Godfrey
86. Victory
85. No Way Out
84. Eight Men Out
83. Rob Roy
82. North Face
81. The Best of Times
80. Warlock
79. The Man From Snowy River
78. Summer School
77. Papillon
76. Hard Boiled
75. Crossroads
74. Aleksandr Nevskiy
73. Ruthless People
72. The Grey Fox
71. Top Secret!
70. Quick Change
69. Forbidden Planet
68. Stand and Deliver
67. The Secret of Roan Inish
66. The Mouse That Roared
65. The Brood
64. Brother Sun, Sister Moon
63. Point Blank
62. Un Condamné à Mort s'est Échappé ou Le Vent Souffle où il Veut
61. Breaking Away
60. Big Wednesday
59. The In-Laws
58. Von Ryan's Express
57. Tengoku to Jigoku
56. The Wizard of Speed and Time
55. Dillinger
54. Die Blechtrommel
53. The Hidden
52. Map of the Human Heart
51. Mumford
50. Red Rock West
49. Mountains of the Moon
48. Thief
47. The Last Detail
46. Runaway Train
45. The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming!
44. The Ruling Class
43. Paris, Texas
42. Le Salaire de la Peur 
41. Animal Crackers
40. Topper
39. Re-Animator
38. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
37. The Enemy Below
36. Zerkalo
35. Sorcerer
34. The Man Who Would Be King
33. Wind
32. The Gods Must Be Crazy
31. Ivanovo Detstvo 
30. C'est Arrivé Près de Chez Vous
29. Phar Lap
28. Return to Oz
27. Wong Fei Hung
26. Neotpravlennoe Pismo
25. Used Cars
24. How to Get Ahead in Advertising
23. Repo Man
22. The Tall Guy
21. The Wind and the Lion
20. Schizopolis
19. Black Narcissus
18. Koyaanisqatsi
17. Bis ans Ende der Welt
16. Shurayukihime
15. Dark Star
14. The Thief of Bagdad (1924 & 1940 versions)
13. Spoorloos
12. Vozvrashchenie
11. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
10. Seconds
9. The Brother From Another Planet
8. Gerry
7. The Steel Helmet
6. Les Yeux sans Visage
5. Never Cry Wolf
4. Soldaat van Oranje
3. Beat the Devil
2. La Battaglia di Algeri
1. Pather Panchali / Aparajito / Apur Sansar

• Like 7

Awesome list, Tele. Kinda wish you hadn't made it tho, 'cause it made me realize what a fucking noob I am. I mean, I have only seen 16 of these, and not a single one in the top 10.

Btw, you must have an awesome wife that lets you watch all these movies. I bet you make Tele Jr. do all the chores around the house, while you sit on your ass and watch movie after movie after movie...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Btw, you must have an awesome wife that lets you watch all these movies. I bet you make Tele Jr. do all the chores around the house, while you sit on your ass and watch movie after movie after movie...

Someday, man, someday. :lol: Mrs. Tele is indeed awesome, although some of these movies I saw before we were married, and more still before Tele Jr. made his appearance. Streaming services are the only way I can really indulge myself at this point.

• Like 1

Terrific work here Tele.  You certainly have a wide range of interest in film, and  an obvious love of WW2 films.  I've only seen 41 of these.  Guess I need to start to expand my horizons a bit.  But I enjoyed reading all of it.  Nice job.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Free State of Tele said:

2. The Battle of Algiers (1967)

The_Battle_of_Algiers_poster.jpg

written by: Franco Solinas, (story by Solinas and Gillo Pontecorvo)

directed by: Gillo Pontecorvo

starring: Jean Martin, Saadi Yacef, Brahim Haggiag, Tommaso Neri

Synopsis:

In the 1950s, fear and violence escalate as the people of Algiers fight for independence from the French government.

This stunning movie is so far ahead of its time it feels like it was made within the last few years, as direct commentary on political events in the Middle East. It’s amazing to consider that it was made over 50 years ago, and in fact in many ways is far bolder and more daring than most films today.

It’s a docudrama about the Algerian struggle for independence, and in particular the insurgency/counter-insurgency warfare that occurred in Algeria in the late 1950s. Leaders of the Algerian resistance and the French military commanders are all major characters, and the movie (while edging slightly towards a sympathetic view of the Algerian freedom fighters) is very neutral and fairly objective about depicting the harshness of war. Both sides commit atrocities, and the movie doesn’t shy away from any of them: the partisans execute people they think are French collaborators and they use terror bombings against civilians. The French military use torture and murder to achieve their ends.

When you consider that these same events are essentially happening today (and have been happening, off and on, throughout North Africa and the Middle East for the past several decades), it’s quite suddenly. Not a pretty picture of humanity. However, the movie is a brilliant piece of filmmaking. Pontecorvo wanted an immediacy to his images, he wanted it to feel like you were watching newsreel footage. So he consciously designed shots to fit what news crews would shoot. Most of the cast were Algerian non-actors, and he managed to get thousands of Algerian extras for the rioting and crowd scenes. The result is really impressive.

Random bit of trivia: Pontecorvo was a legitimate composer as well as director, and collaborated on the score with the legendary Ennio Morricone.

DAMN STRAIGHT

hail Morricone

• Like 1

Coming up next:

Inspired by Tele's list of 100 lesser known or under appreciated films list, I'm going to do:

Baumer's list of 100 films that you have almost certainly heard of but probably have never seen.  Tele is much more of a film historian than I am as my knowledge of film before about 1968 is very limited.  @Free State of Tele has a much wider range of film in his repertoire.  My list will be much more modern in scope but they will be films that you just haven't gotten around to see.

This will start after @chasmmi has finished his top 100 songs list.  Can't wait for that one to start.

• Like 2

So while the list was in progress, I was seeing how many of these are available on Netflix, so I can later watch them. I only found four though, but that's fine. I'll state my opinions about these movies some other time.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

So while the list was in progress, I was seeing how many of these are available on Netflix, so I can later watch them. I only found four though, but that's fine. I'll state my opinions about these movies some other time.

If I have some time later, I'll edit the list to include where/how to find them (if available). Granted, I'll only be able to provide info on US streaming services.