WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Civil War finally has a decent hold

Jungle Book keeps on truckin'

I'm not sure why "holds" are held in such high regard around here, particularly for films that open hugely. What matters is the overall take. I mean, if a film did $600m DOM its opening week, and then plunged 90% to $60m its second week, it would still have $660m DOM! 

As for JB, it really is trucking: Friday it passed the $350m DOM mark and $900m WW mark. And it has Japan and South Korea (just released there) to get to $1B. Should be a close call, eh?

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

Just now, SteveJaros said:

I'm not sure why "holds" are held in such high regard around here. What matters is the overall take. I mean, if a film did $600m DOM its opening week, and then plunged 90% to $54m its second week, it would still have $654m DOM! 

Um, because better holds mean more money?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Empire said:

Popstar is better. :ph34r:

No need to duck. I saw both Nice Guys and Popstar as well, and IMO it's not close: Nice Guys was a stiff mess, amazing that so many crits liked it, while Popstar is funny, even hilarious at times. It can validly claim to be this gen's "Spinal Tap". 

8 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I'm not sure why "holds" are held in such high regard around here, particularly for films that open hugely.

Because it indicates how much audiences like and recommend the film, by giving it repeat viewings and spreading good WOM to their friends and family. This, in turn, shows how viable any future sequels will be, given the reception and legs of the first film.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, m3racer123 said:

Because it indicates how much audiences like and recommend the film, by giving it repeat viewings and spreading good WOM to their friends and family. This, in turn, shows how viable any future sequels will be, given the reception and legs of the first film.

I wonder ... In other media, legs don't matter much. E.g., the 2005 Harry Potter book sold about 75% of its total hardback US sales to date in the first 24 hours of its release. That didn't (a) stop it from being an overall massive seller (about 12 million hard-back US sales), nor did it stop the next one, in 2007, from being one of the biggest selling books ever. Sometimes, everyone who wants to see something rushes out to see it immediately. And if that number is BIG,  it means the movie is big despite skinny legs.

CACW has had skinny legs. Zootopia and Jungle Book have had Sequoia-trunk legs. But CACW will finish with more dollars, DOM and WW.

It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between the "legs" of film A and subsequent sequel grosses. Obviously, big opening and thick legs is best (and truthfully, Zoo and TJB fall in this category). But what would be interesting would be the small opening/thick legs compared to big opening/skinny legs combos.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

Just now, druv10 said:

Conjuring 2 number is very good.

It is terrible. How is this gonna have the legs of the first one? It will barely beat the OW of fucking Annabelle!