baumer

Wednesday'number from RTH for Dory 18M

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

When you get hordes of kids wanting to see something, it doesn't matter much what the parents think at that point. They'll cave/send the older brother or sister. 

What about the older audiences that got burned by Minions and don't have kids under 13 or so?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

What about the older audiences that got burned by Minions and don't have kids under 13 or so?

I don't believe for a second the series was ever hugely popular with the adult w/o kids demo in the first place, and I think Minion's huge success proves that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't believe for a second the series was ever hugely popular with the adult w/o kids demo in the first place, and I think Minion's huge success proves that. 

Oh there are plenty of childless adults that like(d) the series. If it was only big with kids it'd be doing mid-200's, not 300M+

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh there are plenty of childless adults that like(d) the series. If it was only big with kids it'd be doing mid-200's, not 300M+

I find it incredibly hard to believe that demo went to see Minions, and that made 300m+. There are more than enough kids in this country to drive a movie to that mark. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

More than half my class at uni have seen Minions in theaters. So yeah, it was a 4-quadrant movie. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I find it incredibly hard to believe that demo went to see Minions, and that made 300m+. There are more than enough kids in this country to drive a movie to that mark. 

If they liked the previous films and reviews didn't offset them why wouldn't they? Plus it had a gigantic marketing push.

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:
> NEW RELEASES
1 - The Legend of Tarzan Warner Bros. 3,450+ - - 1
2 - The BFG Buena Vista 3,200 - - 1
3 - The Purge: Election Year Universal 2,700 - - 1

Man, Disney really is dumping The BFG. 

It doesn't look that great honestly and it stems from their Dreamworks deal, they are just cruising until their deal is done with them.

Edited by VinceMichaudC

I loved the first DM movie. 

The second was ok but not nearly as good as the first. I didn't like the that last act was so heavily built around the Minions and not Groot and the kids. 

I have yet to see the Minions movie and I don't really care. They were meant to be great supporting characters not leads having to carry a movie. Even my son didn't care to see it. 

Minion's multi was perfectly acceptable though for a 115m+ opener in today's market. It didn't imply either great nor toxic WOM. Angry Birds for example is getting a worse multi with a fraction of the OW, and I don't see anyone claiming toxic WOM there. Which further's my argument that the film was primarily seen by kids, hence why the WOM wasn't toxic. They liked it. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I'd say the worst case scenario for DM3 is 250M which is a 26% drop from Minions (Shrek 4 had a 26% drop from the third). Given the lack of appealing options, it's unlikely it goes that low. 280-310M is the probable range IMO

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'd say the worst case scenario for DM3 is 250M which is a 26% drop from Minions (Shrek 4 had a 26% drop from the third). Given the lack of appealing options, it's unlikely it goes that low. 280-310M is the probable range IMO

So we're arguing when your range is not that far off from my 325-350 range? :lol::P