WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

47 minutes ago, James said:

At this point Dory needs all the US money it can get, because it is not hitting 1B WW with those OS numbers. To give you a comparison, it opened in Spain and France this weekend. In France it did 1/3 of Nemo's opening and it also debuted way behind Nemo in Spain. In UK it will have a hard time thanks to the Brexit and Pets just registering an absolutely huge debut and looking at Germany there is no way it comes close to what Nemo did there. Also, it is hard to imagine it will match Nemo in Japan. So maybe 450m OS and 950M WW max. That is if it manages to hit 500m DOM which I very much doubt with Pets on the way. I think it will land somewhere around 900-920m. 

The argument that Finding Dory will have a "hard time" in the UK because Pets opened big is a fallacious one. That's been proven wrong time and time again, and we know that big well-received films can co-exist (all we have to do is look to last summer domestically with Inside Out, Jurassic World, and Minions -- Inside Out and Jurassic World co-existed beautifully, and Inside Out only dropped 40% against Minions huge $113 million opening weekend). Perhaps you know more about how the UK market behaves than I do; however, Finding Dory, from my knowledge, doesn't open until July 29th in the UK, so I'm not sure precisely what are you trying to argue.

What also confuses me is that in the same post you suggest the opposite logic domestically - that with Pets on the way, this will hurt Dory, rather than Dory's huge opening meaning Pets will have a hard time.

Certainly Dory's opening in France is very disappointing, but I would hesitate extrapolating that to other regions so readily. You don't mention, for example, that Dory is outdoing Nemo in most other comparable regions it has opened, such as Argentina, Australia, Russia, and obviously China. It has yet to open in Germany, Japan, UK, Mexico, etc, etc. It looks like most of it's biggest markets are in July.

So, I'm not sure that your overall argument holds up, from my perspective.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 8

1 hour ago, department store basement said:

It also had no 400m hits. Not even a 300m hit until August.

I think a marketplace full of mid sized hits is better than one full of flop after flop. YMMV. Ideally we would have the 2 or 3 300M hits and a bunch of 200M and 100M mid sized but hey wygd:sadben:

Crazy how you wait on something for TWENTY years, then when it gets here, it literally is just a forgotten swift fart in the wind. 

Fox (mostly) dropped the ball on IDR. This shouldve been a real generational event, instead it just came and went. I didnt notice much marketing until the last week. What a waste of time.

If any movie is going to take so long to come out, it needs to have a memorable anticipation, opening, and following. Especially considering the market today is nothing like back then (which is why I dont give Fox all the blame).

• Like 1

Just now, ThatOneGuy said:

Fuck you Emmerich.  Fuck Resurgence.  You built me up for all this excitement and now I'm disappointed as fuck.

Fuck this world.

That's quite a lot of fucks being given out for a film that deserves none. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Crazy how you wait on something for TWENTY years, then when it gets here, it literally is just a forgotten swift fart in the wind. 

Fox (mostly) dropped the ball on IDR. This shouldve been a real generational event, instead it just came and went. I didnt notice much marketing until the last week. What a waste of time.

If any movie is going to take so long to come out, it needs to have a memorable anticipation, opening, and following. Especially considering the market today is nothing like back then (which is why I dont give Fox all the blame).

Fox marketed the hell out of IDR.Goldblum,Pullman,and Hemsworth were pushing the film very heavily in San Francisco during Superbowl week,and there have been plenty of TV ads.Problem was they had a weak product to sell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nova said:

Pitch Perfect 3 will go on. The issue is that it's not just sequels that are flopping. Original stories are too. That's why it's refreshing to see movies like Central Intelligence and The Shallows do well respective to their budgets. Maybe what Hollywood should do, is actually start creating quality films instead of garbage regardless of whether they're sequels or not. If IDR was actually a good film, I'm sure people would have went out and watched it. But it's not and people aren't stupid. 

People didn't go see The Nice Guys though. :unsure:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Fox marketed the hell out of IDR.Goldblum,Pullman,and Hemsworth were pushing the film very heavily in San Francisco during Superbowl week,and there have been plenty of TV ads.Problem was they had a weak product to sell.

Who remembers anything from February. And im on the East Coast, what is San Francisco doing for me?

There was no consistency with the campaign. Nothing made this feel like weve waited and wanted for 20 long years.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1