WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

15 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If she did Shallows as a R-rated comedy that effectively sends up shark attack flicks, it would make more than the current version. That said, I've sensed some McCarthy fatigue past summer. So... I could be wrong there.

It would also cost more to make too. And I don't think it would make THAT much more. In fact I'm willing to bet, it would flop. I know I wouldn't pay money to see her flop around in the ocean regardless if it's a comedy or not. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

It would also cost more to make too. And I don't think it would make THAT much more. In fact I'm willing to bet, it would flop. I know I wouldn't pay money to see her flop around in the ocean regardless if it's a comedy or not. 

I mean, I didn't pay to see her in Tammy or The Boss but both will likely gross more DOM than The Shallows.

Maybe a slighty younger Sandra Bullock? I think she helped Gravity truly breakout. Hell, maybe Bullock right now. But, it's splitting hairs, I don't think The Shallows makes any more money with JLaw in the lead either. I'm not certain how much she buoys box office receipts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Maybe a slighty younger Sandra Bullock? I think she helped Gravity truly breakout. Hell, maybe Bullock right now. But, it's splitting hairs, I don't think The Shallows makes any more money with JLaw in the lead either. I'm not certain how much she buoys box office receipts.

Lmfao

The Shallows would have done a lot more with Jennifer as the lead

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, I didn't pay to see her in Tammy or The Boss but both will likely gross more DOM than The Shallows.

Tammy and The Boss are comedies. A completely different genre than The Shallows though.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I agree with this. But again having JLaw as the lead would cost more too. She's an in demand actress and would have asked for a lot of money to do it.

I'm not here trying to say one actress is a draw and one actress isn't but I also don't like taking credit away from an actress or actor after the fact, especially with all the bombs and flops in the box office these days.

Edited by Nova

5 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Lmfao

The Shallows would have done a lot more with Jennifer as the lead

Sure to would also have cost more than double to make. The Shallows isn't successful because it's setting the box office on fire. The Shallows is considered a success because it's a pretty low-budget film that was able to have a decent OW at the box office given how shitty of a box office it's been. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nova said:

Sure to would also have cost more than double to make. The Shallows isn't successful because it's setting the box office on fire. The Shallows is considered a success because it's a pretty low-budget film that was able to have a decent OW at the box office given how shitty of a box office it's been. 

Aside from movies with an enormous built in audience a la Hunger Games and X-Men, what has broken out with her in the lead? I assume SLP would've with any other female giving a strong performance. Cooper's the lead. American Hustle broke out but it's an ensemble. Joy she's truly carrying it on her back and, well, $56M DOM.

I'm with Baumer here. I don't her or, for that matter, many other actors being enough of a draw to boost box office. I think action stars and uber-famous comedians still boost those genres.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If she did Shallows as a R-rated comedy that effectively sends up shark attack flicks, it would make more than the current version. That said, I've sensed some McCarthy fatigue past summer. So... I could be wrong there.

If McCarthy made The Shallows then her character will probably be eaten by the shark...for comedy relief. 

• Like 1

I always think the elusive "draw" debate has everything to do with the right fit between actor and role.

A smart actor chooses roles that are a good fit for them in well made movies. There's virtually no actor who could star in a completely unappealing movie and make it a huge hit. Even the few supposed draws have their flops or underperformers when they go for a project the audience has no interst in.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I always think the elusive "draw" debate has everything to do with the right fit between actor and role.

A smart actor chooses roles that are a good fit for them in well made movies. There's virtually no actor who could star in a completely unappealing movie and make it a huge hit. Even the few supposed draws have their flops or underperformers when they go for a project the audience has no interst in.

Insert The Rock clapping gif here

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Exactly. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hard to come to that conclusion when she's appeared in only two movies since then.

Typically JL-David O'Russel collaborations make 125+ m.

Joy didn't even make half that.

Then you have the fact that she might've actually hurt Apocalypse's box office if anything.

Some stars can bolster comedies, and DiCaprio and Denzel can sell tickets. Otherwise, the effects of movie stars are small on their own. A bunch of them together can have a powerful effect. A single one doesn't impact box office much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/28/business/media/28cast.html

http://deadline.com/2012/12/movie-profit-research-stars-directors-scripts-387497/

http://www.vulture.com/2012/07/why-stars-dont-matter-gavin-polone.html

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21693591-hollywood-studios-can-no-longer-bank-pulling-power-famous-actors-fading-stars

The problem with the whole who is a draw discussion is that people always move the goalposts. Jlaw helps carry the Hunger Games to good reviews and box office well beyond what was expected and it is "just a franchise." She absolutely helps carry SLP to box office success well beyond its 20 million dollar budget and has the Oscar to prove it and "any actress could have done it." She is key to the marketing and critical reception of AH and it is "just an ensemble." Plus I'm not sure who else is getting Joy to 56 million after the reviews and the DOR fatigue. But the flip side is always there.

Meanwhile Blake Lively is in a shark horror film that has a good opening weekend and she is a "draw" despite the fact that these type of films, such as Open Water, have a market. Open Water made 20 times it's budget. I'd say it was a smart choice given where Lively stands in the industry. 

I tend to see being a draw as combining the right actor with the right role I'm a film with a sellable concept. No actor can sell films people do not want to see. But it is possible to argue that anyone is or isn't a draw to some extent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Typically JL-David O'Russel collaborations make 125+ m.

Joy didn't even make half that.

Then you have the fact that she might've actually hurt Apocalypse's box office if anything.

Joy was a mixed-reviewed biopic about the inventor of the Miracle Mop (whose marketing did everything they could to hide that). There's only so much potential for a movie like that.

Her presence in X-Men likely had no effect since those movies are more about the brand than any individual actor (also because she was only in the film because of contractual obligation and it showed through her indifferent performance).

• Like 1

My whole thing is that I don't see how someone can say well had so and so been in this movie, it would have actually done much better. What merit do you have for that? I'm pretty sure movies right now are flopping around and only a select few can actually say they're a success. And to take the successful films and claim another actor could have made it more successful does a disservice to the actor/actors in the actual movie. There are no guarantees so when I see a movie does well at the box office, I'm going to give credit to the actors involved and not think "Oh had so and so starred in it, it would have made more money." When there is no evidence of that what's so ever. 

Edited by Nova

Having said that, I think Blake Lively was perfectly cast in The Shallows and she finally picked a role that suits her. You can insert your two dozen or so actresses in it but I'll take Blake Lively in that role all day. Come at me. 

Edited by Nova

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Joy was a mixed-reviewed biopic about the inventor of the Miracle Mop (whose marketing did everything they could to hide that). There's only so much potential for a movie like that.

Her presence in X-Men likely had no effect since those movies are more about the brand than any individual actor (also because she was only in the film because of contractual obligation and it showed through her indifferent performance).

True but if she's a supposed box office draw, it wouldn't matter what the film is about, right? 

• Like 1