PDC1987

Shin Godzilla | October 11th-18th | FUNimation distributing

On 9/5/2016 at 5:45 PM, Cookson said:

Got my tickets just now! My wife and I are both off a few days this week so we decided to do a little road trip to Kansas. I'm ready, lets do this!!

nice.  Wish tickets were on sale for my area.  I still only show the one from a week or two ago that was already sold out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Gotta wait til Saturday. So hyped tho!!!

I think you will like it :)  I was tempted to wait but talked myself into just going :P 

8 hours ago, Cookson said:

Loved the way they told the story through political figures.

Theaters have been reported being packed! I hope we know some numbers soon.

yeah I enjoyed the movie and it was done pretty well and stuck with the original movie's themes.

I was a bit surprised to see how filled my theater was, so hopefully it's a good sign of numbers :) 

1 hour ago, kitik said:

Funimation showed a trailer for Your Name before Godzilla last night.

really?  My showing had no trailers which is a huge plus :)

I hope more people see this so I can talk about it even more :P 

1 hour ago, 75live said:

I hope more people see this so I can talk about it even more :P

The bureaucracy was clearly one of the big themes. I was talking to one of my friends on the way home about the heavy subtitles, with a person's job or location on the top of the screen, and the dialogue on the bottom of the screen, and...

spoilers ahead...

Spoiler

and I mentioned there was one guy with a job title so long I couldn't even read it, and that his job changed throughout the movie, as different committees were set up within the government to respond to Godzilla, and it suddenly dawned on me "oh, the bureaucracy was evolving just like Godzilla did!" Nice little touch there from the filmmakers. So then I liked the ending even more, with the new PM resigning because he knew he wasn't the right man for the job of rebuilding. Showing a further evolution of the bureaucracy.

also, I thought it was absolutely hilarious that

Spoiler

the actress they cast to play the American was clearly, well, let's just say Japanese, and not American. Her english was pretty awful compared to some of the other actors. The only thing that defined her as an American was that she wore a bomber jacket. A clear case of Japan-washing. Yet again, Japanese actors take roles that should be filled by American actors. (And it's probably worth mentioning here that one of the trailers we got was for The Great Wall.)

But seriously, that was hilarious.

• Like 1

Just now, kitik said:

The bureaucracy was clearly one of the big themes. I was talking to one of my friends on the way home about the heavy subtitles, with a person's job or location on the top of the screen, and the dialogue on the bottom of the screen, and...

spoilers ahead...

Hide contents

and I mentioned there was one guy with a job title so long I couldn't even read it, and that his job changed throughout the movie, as different committees were set up within the government to respond to Godzilla, and it suddenly dawned on me "oh, the bureaucracy was evolving just like Godzilla did!" Nice little touch there from the filmmakers. So then I liked the ending even more, with the new PM resigning because he knew he wasn't the right man for the job of rebuilding. Showing a further evolution of the bureaucracy.

also, I thought it was absolutely hilarious that

Hide contents

the actress they cast to play the American was clearly, well, let's just say Japanese, and not American. Her english was pretty awful compared to some of the other actors. The only thing that defined her as an American was that she wore a bomber jacket. A clear case of Japan-washing. Yet again, Japanese actors take roles that should be filled by American actors. (And it's probably worth mentioning here that one of the trailers we got was for The Great Wall.)

But seriously, that was hilarious.

i agree with your whole post.  I won't say much to avoid spoilers as well but 

Spoiler

yeah I like the whole evolution of both sides too.  It was a good parallel.  I can also never hate a rubber suit Godzilla either even if there wasn't much of it.  But I did like the new look and all the phases he went through during the movie.  Obvious sequel set up with the offspring at the end, but regardless, I can always take more Godzilla movies :)