CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

2 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Haven't you been saying this since 2013? If audiences wont come back, then I'm pretty sure you won't have anything to worry about in the future. Unfortunately, these movies keep breaking records instead. At least that won't be happening in 2017, unless it does. The studio probably made a big mistake getting the academy award writer and the writer of Training Day for their 2016 efforts. I was hoping they'd hire the entity created by the DBZ fusion dance between the child of Alan Moore w/ J.K. Rowling merged w/ George R.R. Martin and possessed by the ghost of William Shakespeare. I heard he was too busy writing is dramedy biopic George Lucas in Love Again.

Exactly. Based on comments I read here you think DC are bringing on bottom of the barrel DTV filmmakers instead of highly talented people who have made successful films that are more than qualified to make this type of movie. Just because it doesn't work out in the end doesn't change that fact 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Well, looks like my sister and her friends apparently LOVED the movie. They loved Harley but none of them liked Cara's performance.

Not surprising. Harley steals the show andCara just ruins it all. 

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The  problem is each DC film costs about 500m I think. They should follow the Marvel route where all of their films barely cost 100m I think thanks to supposed tax credits 

Marvel movies....cost way more than you are suggesting here.  $100M?  Ha, come on now.  They've never made a movie with a budget even close to that number.

As far as I can tell, Marvel and DC are spending in the same range.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 4

I don't really think that Yahoo blurb is placing the blame solely  on Garner. She's one of the stars of the movie, it's her latest project released to theaters and it's a massive dud. I do think they could've at least included Spacey's name too though. 

Edited by DealWithIt

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Suicide Squad and BvS are not profitable. In other news, Hollywood is shutting down today because none of the movies they do make money.

This is absolutely not true and you should be ashamed of your hyperbole. We all know that Disneywood is making enough money to rename the whole city Rodentwood: the Land of Fairy Tales and Talking Animals. In 10 years, there will be no other competing studios, fudged budgets, and fudged estimates to decry but the silver screen will still be graced by Cinderella's castle.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Didn't two of those markets open on Wednesday, and the following days would be Thursday and Friday which were accompanied by other local releases and thus heavy competition?  Another one of those countries opened the Olympics on the second day. Would you say the implications were exceedingly negative without explaining extra context? Would you say the final results seem pretty positive, especially in comparison to similar movies?

I can only speak for myself but when I was stating its drops internationally I was doing so to state that I wouldn't be shocked if the movie ends up performing like a sequel in the states where it's front loaded. And by the looks of it that's exactly what's happened thus far. I'm not one of those people trying to say the film is a failure or whatever. I'm just saying the movie is playing more like a sequel for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Haven't you been saying this since 2013? If audiences wont come back, then I'm pretty sure you won't have anything to worry about in the future. Unfortunately, these movies keep breaking records instead. At least that won't be happening in 2017, unless it does. The studio probably made a big mistake getting the academy award writer and the writer of Training Day for their 2016 efforts. I was hoping they'd hire the entity created by the DBZ fusion dance between the child of Alan Moore w/ J.K. Rowling merged w/ George R.R. Martin and possessed by the ghost of William Shakespeare. I heard he was too busy writing is dramedy biopic George Lucas in Love Again.

MOS didn't and won't get a sequel . Let's wait and see how happy WB will be with SS , Wonder Woman and how they will handle the DCCU after JL (which has already lost a sequel) comes out .

oh and lol at breaking meaningless records . I am sure WB would prefer SS to surpass, or at least come close , to GOTG total bo number instead of breaking the ow record which will only lead to hilarious results in the upcoming days and weeks with the record drops SS will have .

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Please explain how either BvS or SS are financial hits. Hell , SS will be a financial disaster when it finishes its WW BO run with under 600 million .

BvS

Total Gross: $872.7M

Reported Production and Marketing Budget: $415M

If we go by the "Double=Break even rule", then BvS had passed that rule. And this is excluding merchandise, home media, cable rights, etc., which gives the movie even more money. Can it be considered a critical disaster? Sure. Can the gross be considered a disappointment when most people expected over $1B? I guess. But a financial failure? Das a stretch.

I won't say anything about Suicide Squad, but I sincerely doubt the movie will be under $600M for its final gross.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Exactly. Based on comments I read here you think DC are bringing on bottom of the barrel DTV filmmakers instead of highly talented people who have made successful films that are more than qualified to make this type of movie. Just because it doesn't work out in the end doesn't change that fact 

I think part of the problem is the talent hired are in the habit of making a different type of movie, one that isn't anticipated by somebody watching a comic book movie. Secondly, many fail to recognize the comics themselves are able to be presented at that level as well. However, in the end, the DCEU seems to have a better chance if they just used the scripts from their animated features. The animated Wonder Woman movie would've probably received a 90% on RT when given life.

45 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This will do 270M (assuming the OW stays at 135M). 

The fact that we gotta point out a 2x multiplier instead of assuming one :sadben:

The times, they are a-changin

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

The fact that we gotta point out a 2x multiplier instead of assuming one :sadben:

The times, they are a-changin

DCEU is changing the game :lol: 

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

BvS

Total Gross: $872.7M

Reported Production and Marketing Budget: $415M

If we go by the "Double=Break even rule", then BvS had passed that rule. And this is excluding merchandise, home media, cable rights, etc., which gives the movie even more money. Can it be considered a critical disaster? Sure. Can the gross be considered a disappointment when most people expected over $1B? I guess. But a financial failure? Das a stretch.

I won't say anything about Suicide Squad, but I sincerely doubt the movie will be under $600M for its final gross.

So barely , and that's really BARELY a profit from its bo run from a movie called BATMAN VERSUS SUPERMAN . Bringing merchandise, home video ( in this day and age lol) in the discussion to prove that a movie is a financial success speaks volumes . WB demoted Snyder , changed the tune of SS completely while doing reshoots and changed the people in charge of the DCCU ( while making JL a one part movie) as a result of BvS financial " success" , just like they canned the mos sequel after mos' " success" .

Whatever I am sure they are thrilled in WB right now with these successes and eveybody is getting bonuses .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The  problem is each DC film costs about 500m I think. They should follow the Marvel route where all of their films barely cost 100m I think thanks to supposed tax credits 

The budget's being underreported Suicide Squad cost well over a billion when you factor in all the used condoms and dead rats Leto sent to his castmates

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

MOS didn't and won't get a sequel . Let's wait and see how happy WB will be with SS , Wonder Woman and how they will handle the DCCU after JL (which has already lost a sequel) comes out .

oh and lol at breaking meaningless records . I am sure WB would prefer SS to surpass, or at least come close , to GOTG total bo number instead of breaking the ow record which will only lead to hilarious results in the upcoming days and weeks with the record drops SS will have .

JL has already lost a sequel? Isn't that a big of an over interpret? I'm sure WB wants more, but I don't think they''ll be too depressed by their top franchise, which was required to put them in second place for market share. Absent the DCEU, Warner would be 4th place and struggling to remain ahead of Paramount while far behind Universal.

1 minute ago, Thrylos 7 said:

So barely , and that's really BARELY a profit from its bo run from a movie called BATMAN VERSUS SUPERMAN . Bringing merchandise, home video ( in this day and age lol) in the discussion to prove that a movie is a financial success speaks volumes . WB demoted Snyder , changed the tune of SS completely while doing reshoots and changed the people in charge of the DCCU ( while making JL a one part movie) as a result of BvS financial " success" , just like they canned the mos sequel after mos' " success" .

Whatever I am sure they are thrilled in WB right now with these successes and eveybody is getting bonuses .

Yes, and Infinity War is also a one part movie. They just fucking changed the title like Marvel did to Avengers 3 and 4. Fucking hell. Stop making shit up. 

• Like 1