grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread | 4 day #s - DB 19.5M, SS 12.8M, Pete 8.5M, Kubo 6.5M, SP 6M, Bad Moms 6M, War Dogs 6M, LBO 5.9M, Morgan 2.4M

6 minutes ago, forg said:

I thought Suicide Squad will be the first movie this year to end its run in the 200M+ club. So far we still have none ending on that range. Big gap from the 300M+ club to the next in line

There's not one movie even close to $200m domestic, lol. Not one movie close enough to root for.

• Like 2

BOURNE is the highest grossing sub-200m movie this year and it will end up 30-35 short of 200m.

So there's plenty of room for a movie to displace it as the highest grossing 200m this year...DOCTOR STRANGE?

Ant-man made 180m, I'm not sure I see Strange doing better, but a lot depeneds on the visuals and on how epic it is as a cinematic experience. 

If the visuals are too good to miss in 3D/IMAX, it could do much better than Ant-man. That certainly helped movies like Gravity and Avatar.

I still think Mag7 could land in that elusive 200 zone. It's gonna take great WOM though, so I guess we'll know more tomorrow.

• Like 1

Doctor Strange faces a lot of competition and every film with a new character in MU besides Iron Man finished its DOM run under 200M.

I am expecting a gross around 150M if its standard quality, and around 200M if it's great.

The films with best chances to gross between 200M and 300M are Fantastic Beasts and Moana. Arrival hype is increasing. Might have also a healthy run to 200M.

1 hour ago, JennaJ said:

Does GotG not count for some reason?

Not a particular reason. I know it is MCU, but it's so different. And it is a team movie more than a standard SH movie.

You have to agree that Dr Strange is more like CA, Thor, Ant Man first movies than GotG.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Not getting why folks leave FB out of 200-299 conversations. It's the strongest contender for that range irrespective of whether it gets it or not. 

It is the one everyone knows it will end inside that range.

Doctor Strange is more likely to end under it. Moana and Sing are strong contenders to go over it.

• Like 1