Grade It:  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Yeah it was definitely a very high body count for PG-13. Seems like as long as you don't use curse words you can get away with a lot on that rating.

I was sort of surprised (pleasantly so) that Haley Bennett's character had no romantic inclinations towards any of the seven. I think the trailers sort of tried to create that appearance. 

Refreshing to have a capable, strong willed female character that isn't there to be the hero's trophy. She may be the only female character, but she was a good one IMHO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Yeah it was definitely a very high body count for PG-13. Seems like as long as you don't use curse words you can get away with a lot on that rating.

I was sort of surprised (pleasantly so) that Haley Bennett's character had no romantic inclinations towards any of the seven. I think the trailers sort of tried to create that appearance. 

Refreshing to have a capable, strong willed female character that isn't there to be the hero's trophy. She may be the only female character, but she was a good one IMHO.

Well, there was hints of a possible romance between her and Pratt's character (in the scene where she revealed she was a great sharpshooter) that seemed to set one up but went nowhere and was never brought up again.

Edited by filmlover

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, there was hints of a possible romance between her and Pratt's character (in the scene where she revealed she was a great sharpshooter) that seemed to set one up but went nowhere and was never brought up again.

Really? I didn't see that scene as setting anything up, I saw it as her shutting him down.

It felt honest - if you're there to fight for your life and the lives of everyone you care for, starting a romance might not be that high on your list of priorities (especially considering her husband just died).

Anywyay I liked her. I'm now looking forward to seeing her (and Rebecca Ferguson) in The Girl on the Train.

Can we freely discuss spoilers her BTW?

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

It feels odd to call The Magnificent Seven a remake. Yes, it's yet another adaptation of the Seven Samurai story, and it shares the name of a 1960 film that adapted the same story. Yet, it feels like a throwback picture in the basest sense. Absolutely no attempt is made to really modernize the story, except for adding more brutal violence than was allowed in the past. The cinematography and score (the latter partially thanks to the late James Horner) feel rather wonderful in their traditionally epic sense. Fuqua's direction is on point better than it has been in his last few films and Pizzolatto and Wenk's script fluctuates from serviceable to entertaining in a broad sense.

The acting is really fantastic. Washington commands the screen, as he should as the lead of the film. Pratt is very entertaining, and Hawke hams it up appropriately while elevating his character. D'Onorfio steals the show with his utter destruction of the scenery, although Sensmeier is a close second with fantastic presence. Bennett feels forced at points, but otherwise is decent. Sarsgaard is just okay, but he doesn't have nearly enough to work with.

The setpieces are really thrilling, with thankfully enough spacial awareness to allow them to really sing. The only issue with the film, and it's a big one, is that its throwback nature is, at points, offensive and, other points, just generic. That said, thanks to Fuqua's phenomenal direction and the great ensemble, The Magnificent Seven lives up to its title in the realm of blockbusters, and is still a good movie. B-

• Like 1

I havent seen the old one knor Seven Samurai

But this one was really good i enjoyed it to the core like i always say it was complete fun from start till the end! Denzel and rest of the cast at their best and climax battle was perfectly executed.

To be frank i expected this movie to Suck but it was the other way i was proved wrong! 

8/10

• Like 1

Solid and entertaining all around, with occasional flashes of brilliance.

Highlights:

Denzel being Denzel. He showcases why he's consistently worth his paycheck, because he makes pretty much anything he's in entertaining. It's perhaps not elevated art, but it's always a good show, and he brings the goods. Plus, the man is fucking ageless if he needs to be.

Pratt showing he doesn't need a franchise to be a leading man. Yes, he's second fiddle to Denzel here, but he's got the charm and charisma to be topline without Marvel or Dinos to prop him up.

The rest of the Seven aren't quite the showmen, but they all bring something to their roles that makes them engaging. Plus, it's nice that there's an assortment of people of color in the roles, when the given role isn't entirely about being a person of color.

Sarsgaard makes a great villain.

That cinematography. If it's a western, it's got to have some gorgeous scenery. This film has numerous shots that just ooze that wide open charisma that the American West is known for.

Haley Bennett is still somewhere in that "budget JLaw" realm with this film, but she's still able to shine as something of her own, even if the role is a bit thankless. (The racial politics of the film are vastly improved over Westerns of yesteryear, the sexual politics are not, unfortunately.)

If there's something I wanted more of, it's for the town defenses to be more creative, but it worked overall. The action was well choreographed, the jokes were fun but didn't pull you out of the film, the emotion felt real enough to engage.

Solid 3 of 5 stars with an upside.