efialtes76

Weekend Thread: Accountant 24.7M, Kevin Hart 11.9M, GOTT 11.9M, Peregrine 8.9M

Looks like none of GOTT, Magnificent 7, Peregrine or Sausage Party will make it to 100M. All of them have low enough budgets that the milestone doesn't matter, but feel like they could have done better (apart from Sausage Party which pretty much did as good as it could)

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Looks like none of GOTT, Magnificent 7, Peregrine or Sausage Party will make it to 100M. All of them have low enough budgets that the milestone doesn't matter, but feel like they could have done better (apart from Sausage Party which pretty much did as good as it could)

Hanks Da Gawd is coming to save October.

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Break even? You're forgetting marketing costs. 

Break even is recouping all money spent, not just some of it. 

I did mention marketing costs. That's why I said, in e.g., Mag 7's target was 180M, since that's double its 90M budget. I will give you this though, you are right in that I misused the term "breaking even", since it needs to double the whole of its budget to reach such goal, so Mag 7 would need over 360M WW to be profitable.

That being said, while 360M would be the line of proven success, recovering the actual budget w/PTA included is, imo, the point of "not a flop" either. "Modest hit" is what I'd call it. And while Peregrine, Storks, or Mag 7 probably won't break even given the entirety of the context, at the same time, they will still make all of their originally invested money back, and that is the line that separates the line of a "modest hit" to a bonefide bomb. And again, I don't think GB is a huge bomb. But that couldn't even recover its PTA included budget, while all the others probably will, and that's why, in my pov, GB is closer to a flop than any of the three others. Although Mag 7 could fall short too, and if it doesn't make it, then yeah, it will be in the exact ballpark as GB.

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I did mention marketing costs. That's why I said, in e.g., Mag 7's target was 180M, since that's double its 90M budget. I will give you this though, you are right in that I misused the term "breaking even", since it needs to double the whole of its budget to reach such goal, so Mag 7 would need over 360M WW to be profitable.

That being said, while 360M would be the line of proven success, recovering the actual budget w/PTA included is, imo, the point of "not a flop" either. "Modest hit" is what I'd call it. And while Peregrine, Storks, or Mag 7 probably won't break even given the entirety of the context, at the same time, they will still make all of their originally invested money back, and that is the line that separates the line of a "modest hit" to a bonefide bomb. And again, I don't think GB is a huge bomb. But that couldn't even recover its PTA included budget, while all the others probably will, and that's why, in my pov, GB is closer to a flop than any of the three others. Although Mag 7 could fall short too, and if it doesn't make it, then yeah, it will be in the exact ballpark as GB.

GB is a disaster for Sony. Nile confirmed so.

The Girl on the Train is going to be profitable for Universal since they're only distributig it, DreamWorks sold some of the OS rights to local distributors so part of the budget is already covered. 

Sony won't lose out much from Mag 7 as they only funded a portion of the budget and are getting a distribution fee, MGM funded the majority of it with Village Roadshow and LStar covering the rest. After the bombage of Ben Hur and Mag 7 not doing so well, MGM are doing to end the year in the red

22 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I mean, my personal goal was for The Accountant to hit 20M this weekend, which it's doing.  So I'd consider this a 1/2 win.  The rule is I need 2 points (consecutively) for my curse to break.

Next test is with Doctor Strange.

Suuuuure, pick a sure bet that you know will lift your curse ;)

Nice hold for Peregrine(and nice performance WW so far, it deserves some success in my opinion), good to see Affleck doing relatively well, specially if the apparent good WOM translates into a leggy run.

Yep, that's pretty much it for this weekend.

56 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I mean, my personal goal was for The Accountant to hit 20M this weekend, which it's doing.  So I'd consider this a 1/2 win.  The rule is I need 2 points (consecutively) for my curse to break.

Next test is with Doctor Strange.

Cruise Missile and Hanks Da Gawd will save us confirmed.

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The goal for Doctor Strange is 70M for me.  Anything below that is a RIP.

I think it'll do near the higher end of tracking. 70-75M, October will be so dead that by the time Strange opens ppl will be desperate to see anything.

That last part is slightly exaggerated, but it'll be like the first weekend of May after a dead April.