kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

18 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I'm not going to deny this is true, but it's also one of the saddest descriptions of the state of cinema one could give.

I think it's more to do with state of comic book media.

There is so much material and truth to be told all of this is because Marvel didn't originally had all their characters together.

"Crossovers" are the result of Marvel unable to keep their characters and their subsequent success which made their 2nd list characters as big as these 1st list characters

Also the role of the stars portraying these characters can't be understated, it's basically Hugh Jackman's Wolverine and Ryan Reynold's Deadpool.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

Like how many would be excited for Topher Grace in Venom in Spiderman NWH or general MCU Spiderman.

But Tom Hardy Venom interacting with either of the three Spidermen. Now that's gonna sell.

Interactions..... All Audience wants is Interactions between their loved characters played by their loved actors.

8 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

I think it's more to do with state of comic book media.

There is so much material and truth to be told all of this is because Marvel didn't originally had all their characters together.

"Crossovers" are the result of Marvel unable to keep their characters and their subsequent success which made their 2nd list characters as big as these 1st list characters

Also the role of the stars portraying these characters can't be understated, it's basically Hugh Jackman's Wolverine and Ryan Reynold's Deadpool.

But that's not cinema, it's not spectacle, it's pandering. And if that's what makes a huge blockbuster, then I find it sad, plain and simple.

No Way Home was a film held together by glue and spit, bordering on the nonsensical, just a bunch of interactions and nostalgia written down with random shit in between to make it happen. But audiences loved it! Mission accomplished, I suppose.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 5

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

But that's not cinema, it's not spectacle, it's pandering. And if that's what makes a huge blockbuster, then I find it sad, plain and simple.

No Way Home was a film held together by glue and spit, bordering on the nonsensical, just a bunch of interactions and nostalgia written down with random shit in between to make it happen. But audiences loved it! Mission accomplished, I suppose.

"But audience loved it"

And hence the makers of the movie rest easy as they accomplished what they set out to do.

4 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

"But audience loved it"

And hence the makers of the movie rest easy as they accomplished what they set out to do.

This isn't a statement that studios should stop going for that. It's just my consideration about audiences wanting pandering more than they actually want a good film.

So...yes?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

This isn't a statement that studios should stop going for that. It's just my consideration about audiences wanting pandering more than they actually want a good film.

So...yes?

Well, no. Audiences view entertainment value (which interactions and nostalgia pandering contribute to) as a key part of the definition of an "actually good" film. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

Well, no. Audiences view entertainment value (which interactions and nostalgia pandering contribute to) as a key part of the definition of an "actually good" film. 

Seems to me like we're kinda playing on semantics over what I said, but sure. I don't really want to keep clogging the thread with my more negative point of view though, so I'll leave it at that so the fans can talk about the film.

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Like how many would be excited for Topher Grace in Venom in Spiderman NWH or general MCU Spiderman.

But Tom Hardy Venom interacting with either of the three Spidermen. Now that's gonna sell.

Interactions..... All Audience wants is Interactions between their loved characters played by their loved actors.

Venom Tom Hardy is loved character? :apocalypse:

2 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Honey, people could just write fanfiction if they really wanted this.

3 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Venom Tom Hardy is loved character? :apocalypse:

Yes, maybe not in loved category so far, but well liked for sure.

If Venom 3 knocks it out of the park then his popularity will only increase.

3 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

People do write fanfic. In large part because people like to read those sort of plots. Just like they like to see them on the big screen and are more willing to pay for that than most of what HW is putting out 

Edited by Joyous Legion

2 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

There already are, known as comics.

People want to watch it on screen, that's cinema.

Different mediums.

Anyways Tom Hardy Venom is held back by the quality of the movies.

If those movies were better, he would be even more popular, but even then, to reiterate his popularity currently, is how these movies are successful only because of his performances.

There's nothing apart from him that's pulling these movies to some sort of competence. 

What I struggle with (and has been discussed to death, so I won’t write something super long about it) is that if all of these actors are always coming back, like Jackman, RDJ, etc (even say Woody from Toy Story lmao), how are we supposed to be emotionally fulfilled with any kind of closure movies profess to give? Like why would I find joy in Tony Stark’s ending if it’s not really an ending? 

4 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

What I struggle with (and has been discussed to death, so I won’t write something super long about it) is that if all of these actors are always coming back, like Jackman, RDJ, etc (even say Woody from Toy Story lmao), how are we supposed to be emotionally fulfilled with any kind of closure movies profess to give? Like why would I find joy in Tony Stark’s ending if it’s not really an ending? 

since it's a comic book movie, studio don't really want or care about emotional depth any more. They only want to milk based on the same thing. Especially at the time the Multiverse Saga is actually dead...

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1