kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

Tbh, I think they should delay this to November and maybe Brave New World to Christmas. Not only to save VFX workers sometime but to help fine tune the scripts. It’s become clear that the MCU is back to Phase 1 levels, in that they must re-earn the audience’s trust. It’s one thing for The Marvels or Eternals or even Quantumania to fuck up, but fucking up on Deadpool and Wolverine, 2 characters beloved by the GA who were hoping to see how they play into the MCU, there is no real hope for the MCU onwards as if they can’t work with these beloved characters and the multiverse is a bust, thats basically when shit starts becoming DCEU level where not even multiverse revived Stark or Cap can save them (not so much the 2013-19 which the MCU is kind of at now but 2020-2023.)

Honestly think Secret Wars, depending on Superman Legacy and the rest of the MCU’s reception should be a hard reboot. Pick three or so characters you want to continue stories with and give proper sendoffs as quasi Elseworld shoots (Spider-Man, Black Panther, etc) and take a brief hiatus and come back in the 2030s

Again with this hiatus shit. "Shut everything down!" after two shutdowns, one currently ongoing! This mythical belief that just one more production delay is what the MCU needs is so dumb. They can't win back audiences by not actually releasing anything

Edited by SpiderByte

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Again with this hiatus shit. "Shut everything down!" after two shutdowns, one currently ongoing! This mythical belief that just one more production delay is what the MCU needs is so dumb. They can't win back audiences by not actually releasing anything

What I was suggesting is more of straight up hard reboot and starting from scratch and that’s more so break glass if everything goes wrong (DP3/F4 failing, Kang Dynasty underperforming, etc). 

Not saying delay DP3 and BNW forever, just give them a little extra time. I still don’t buy DP3 ready for May because Marvel liking to reshoot and re-edit and the fact that it’s only half way finished. Yes the Deadpool movies of past had shorter time tables but considering the reported scope increase, I doubt it’ll be smooth sailing by May. It’s clear the actor/writer strikes are effecting them, why not push them to the holidays to maybe change an issue or two in post. It’s better for the product to be as strong as possible vs release another one that is not satisfying the fanbase.

Edited by YM!

Just now, YM! said:

What I was suggesting is more of straight up hard reboot and starting from scratch and that’s more so break glass if everything goes wrong (DP3/F4 failing, Kang Dynasty underperforming, etc).

Not happening. Definitely not while Feige is there. They aren't gonna jump from rebooting the FF to instantly rebooting them again. If they do another Iron Man it'll be with someone other than Tony Stark, they aren't gonna hard reboot. Even DCs upcoming reboot is only mostly hard, theyre keeping Blue Beetle and that's the movie that performed worst!

Rebooting the MCU is about as likely as a hard reboot of Star Wars.

The most likely thing is scaling back on budgets, theatrical and streaming alike. Disney+ can't be out back in the bottle but the approach will probably be very different, more multiple seasons of individual shows and less miniseries.

I think pushing this one to Christmas and Brave New World to either February or May is a decent option, especially in case the dismal presales so far for The Marvels do end up being indicative of its final opening. Aquaman was likely helped by keeping a healthy distance from Josstice League, so maybe the potential stench of The Marvels will have cooled off by Christmas 2024.

28 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Not happening. Definitely not while Feige is there. They aren't gonna jump from rebooting the FF to instantly rebooting them again. If they do another Iron Man it'll be with someone other than Tony Stark, they aren't gonna hard reboot. Even DCs upcoming reboot is only mostly hard, theyre keeping Blue Beetle and that's the movie that performed worst!

Rebooting the MCU is about as likely as a hard reboot of Star Wars.

The most likely thing is scaling back on budgets, theatrical and streaming alike. Disney+ can't be out back in the bottle but the approach will probably be very different, more multiple seasons of individual shows and less miniseries.

Again, this scenario implies that the MCU F4 was about as well received as 05/15 F4. As for Blue Beetle, I’ll believe it when I see it as Gunn tends to tiptoe around what is canon and what not mainly because this year is the last year for the DCEU but still want people to see it.

21 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I think pushing this one to Christmas and Brave New World to either February or May is a decent option, especially in case the dismal presales so far for The Marvels do end up being indicative of its final opening. Aquaman was likely helped by keeping a healthy distance from Josstice League, so maybe the potential stench of The Marvels will have cooled off by Christmas 2024.

Christmas is a bad time for this, as while it’ll do well. Disney would most definitely want a PG-13 or family movie on the spot over an R rated movie due to family spillover at Christmas. Also, Brave New World doesn’t need to move too much from next year, it’s the only movie they got ready. I said a Nov/Dec strategy like Eternals/NWH that if Deadpool 3 is beloved, then the wave of positivity would help booster Brave New World. If a film stays next year, it’s definitely Brave New World. Expecting Shang-Chi/Quantumania numbers for it now vs the 500-600m I was feeling earlier but it can do that with strong reception.

The Marvels underperforming, so long as the film is well received, shouldn’t effect DP3 at all. My suggestion was not on fear that The Marvels will tank enthusiasm but moreso based on Marvel being more like it’s Phase 1/2 days now and the movie only being halfway completed in filming.

Deadpool 3 boxoffice will have nothing to do with The Marvels no matter how that one turns out. Marvel movies are now seen as separate entities so people will skip some and show up for other depending on the concept, characters, etc. Someone already explained that and that is how Marvel IPs always operated. There was always boxoffice difference between lets say Iron Man series boxoffice and Ant Man one even with "you must see all to understand the big payoff when it comes" people didn't show up for every IP in the same numbers. This is no different.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Deadpool 3 boxoffice will have nothing to do with The Marvels no matter how that one turns out. Marvel movies are now seen as separate entities so people will skip some and show up for other depending on the concept, characters, etc. Someone already explained that and that is how Marvel IPs always operated. There was always boxoffice difference between lets say Iron Man series boxoffice and Ant Man one even with "you must see all to understand the big payoff when it comes" people didn't show up for every IP in the same numbers. This is no different.

Agreed. I can still see Deadpool 3 opening to $150m. But other than that, there are no MCU locks for a $100m+ opener until Holland's next Spider-Man movie.

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Agreed. I can still see Deadpool 3 opening to $150m. But other than that, there are no MCU locks for a $100m+ opener until Holland's next Spider-Man movie.

Think a Strange 3 or Panther 3 can do it with ease, so could an Avengers movie. The best chance out of the gap from now until SM4 assuming that’s July 2025, would be Cap 4 and Fantastic Four but those feel more like 75-90m openers.

12 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Agreed. I also think that no matter hwo high Holland SM opens it won't end with nearly as much as NWH. That was one and done. 

25 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

But other than that, there are no MCU locks for a $100m+ opener until Holland's next Spider-Man movie.

Aside from Avengers id say that's probably true. I'm also bullish on Cap 4, I think if they play it right a black Captain America could resonate with audiences a lot. 

19 minutes ago, YM! said:

Think a Strange 3 or Panther 3 can do it with ease, so could an Avengers movie. The best chance out of the gap from now until SM4 assuming that’s July 2025, would be Cap 4 and Fantastic Four but those feel more like 75-90m openers.

Strange 3, if it gets made, is going to drop like a rock after how polarizing his last movie was. If that opens any higher than, say, Eternals I'll be very surprised.

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Aside from Avengers id say that's probably true. I'm also bullish on Cap 4, I think if they play it right a black Captain America could resonate with audiences a lot. 

That right there is why I proposed a delay to February earlier in this thread. It's Black History Month, and Black Panther made history there, so why not try again with the closest thing to a black leader we have in this franchise now that the obvious candidate is no longer with us.

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The 2 Solo Cap films did under $260M domestic and OS will drop like a rock with Sam.

Edited by Valencia

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

The most likely thing is scaling back on budgets, theatrical and streaming alike. Disney+ can't be out back in the bottle but the approach will probably be very different, more multiple seasons of individual shows and less miniseries

Well goddamn I called this one!