31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

14 hours ago, somebody85 said:

But...another theory that is really intriguing is the story involving present day Susan didn't happen at all. The entire film could be Edwards revenge fantasy of how Susan would react to reading his book. He imagines that she turned out like her mother (materialistic and unhappy). He imagines that his book would crush her and that she would immediately get all the symbolism in the story. He imagined that she would see how successful of a writer he had become from the hurt she had caused him. And than he imagines standing her up as a final punishment for what she had done to him. This would explain all the sad scenes of Susan staring out the window or taking a bath after reading portions of the book that Jake Gittes mentioned. - This idea falls right in place with a few scenes and lines involving surrealism and reality (like the bird hitting the house - which is never explained or Susan's daughter being in the same position as the daughter on the couch).

That's great, I love it.

I think the best thing about this film is the different interpretations you can have. I saw this for the second time with a Q&A with Tom Ford this week, absolutely brilliant. The more I think about it, the more crazy some of the things in the film become and the more interpretations and readings of it I think of. I have only seen it twice but I would happily watch it several times more; I suspect this is a film where every time you watch it, you see something new. It's really something.

• Like 2

Second viewing changed this to an A. Caught a lot I missed the first time and I love how many different ways the material can be interpreted. Jumped in my favorite films of 2016 list as well. 

Also believe think Tony was inspired by both Susan and Edward (his character traits lean more towards Susan - and the movie hints at it a lot visually).

Edited by somebody85

I loved how the breakup, all the pain she caused him, turned Edward into the man Susan wanted him to be. How she went from lovely wife to abominable monster wreaking havoc on Tony/Edward's life. How he made her aware of that. And how she was left with nothing but an unbearable guilty. 

Tom Ford is the real deal folks.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Just watched this and found the fictional scenes wholly captivating, especially the abduction scene and the final confrontation between Tony and Ray. Amy Adams made the rest of the movie watchable plus she has really beautiful eyes. Glad Tony/Edward got his revenge. Overall, I liked it more than I thought I would after reading reviews. B+