baumer

Baumer's 50 Best Christmas movies of all time

Silent Night (2002)

Directed Rodney Gibbons

Starring:  Linda Hamilton

TV. Movie

While movies made solely for television generally have a stereotype for being mediocre, this outstanding movie breaks records easily. It covers a true story, of a boy during WWII with his not so traditional mother. It tells the story of how soldiers of both sides come to share a Christmas with them.

One of my favorite aspects of this film was that it did not have the excess violence, gore, profanity, etc. . The characters are not overly evil, good, or perfect. They acted as if they were the actual people that the events had happened to. Wonderful acting, I think.

The storyline is filled with twists and turns, heart-breaking moments and even a little humor. It is a perfect film for any family, especially during the holidays. I am sure if someone got real nitpicky there are a few errors, but to me, everything is pretty darn close to being perfect. I sincerely recommend it to someone looking for a truly good film.

**I suggest that you google "Fritz Vincken" after watching the movie. There are numerous interviews with him about the real events and his life after the war ended. I find them very inspiring.  This kind of reminds me a tiny bit of Hacksaw Ridge.  It's based on a true story of heroism during war.  This was also a film me and mom watched together one year at Christmas and she loved it and it really hit home with me.  The best part of Christmas, imo, is that it brings out the best in people.  As I have said before, people are more giving, they have a jump in their step, they seem to care for one another a bit more and there is lots of charity at Christmas.  This film in a way is a microcosm of what Christmas is all about.  

Image result for silent night linda hamilton

• Like 3

Four Christmases (2008)

Directed by:  Seth Gordon

Starring:  Vince Vaughn, Reese Witherspoon, Jon Favreau

Box office:  120 million

Kate (Reese Witherspoon) and Brad (Vince Vaughn) have been together for three years and are still besotted with each other. Neither of them is particularly fond of their families, though (both sets of parents are divorced, so there are four families to contend with), which is why Kate and Brad make it a point to go on exotic vacations at Christmas, while telling their families white lies about doing humanitarian work. However, when fog grounds all Christmas flights and a TV news crew injudiciously broadcasts Kate and Brad, their cellphones immediately go off, leading to unwanted trips to all four households. And, as the trips proceed one by one, we learn why Kate and Brad avoid their families. They learn things about themselves and each other, and not all they learn is good news.

First of all, this film is funny. There are a number of laugh-out-loud moments. And, importantly, much of the humour derives from character and situation. The small amount of bad language is mild, the vulgarity quotient is low, and the message is a positive one. It is maybe a touch over-sentimental but hey! c'mon, it's a Christmas movie! Actually, Christmas is merely the backdrop, the film is about something rather more fundamental than simply Christmas, and there is a great deal of truth in both the script and the performances.

The cast is excellent, but special mention must go to Brad's Dad (Robert Duvall, very funny) and his two awful brothers, his Mother's boyfriend (an audible gasp in the theatre), and Kate's Dad (a dignified John Voight, delivering probably the most serious speech in the film).

Vaughn has this sort of part nailed, and it's good to see his stock character no longer displaying the air of mild sleaze which has followed him in earlier films. Still, he has a wide range, and it would be good to see him stretched beyond this type of part: sympathetic as it may be, it doesn't really challenge him. Witherspoon always impresses, and continues to do so here.

And then of course it hits all the right Christmas notes.  Family is important...holiday cheer....petty differences are put aside and by the end of it, you leave the theater or the comfort of your living room, with a big goofy smile and a warm heart.  

Image result for four christmases meme

• Like 4

On 12/3/2016 at 4:04 AM, Christmas Baumer said:

Love the Coopers (2015)

Starring:  John Goodman, Diane Keaton, Alan Arkin, Amanda Seyfried, 

Directed by Jessie Nelson

Box office:  Not enough (26 million)

A film ignored by most, disliked by many and loved by me.  It does everything right.  The chaos of the season brings together a family on the verge of disaster.  The patriarchs of the family on the verge of divorce, the avuncular figure is lonely and only finds solace in the young waitress who he talks to at the diner.  There is sibling rivalries and jealousy and a dog who has seen it all.  The setting of the film is always really important to me as well.  It's one of the things that Almost Christmas did wrong this year.  No snow, very few decorations and no Christmas music.  Love The Coopers has it all.  And with the dysfunctional family finally putting aside their somewhat petty differences, it seems as though everyone is going to live happily ever after.  I love the spirit of the holidays and this is a film where people who truly love each but along the way have forgotten that, learn to find it again.  It's a wonderful holiday film and I hope some of you find a way to give it a chance.  

Image result for love the coopers

I wasn't a fan but I was glad that the fucking dog didn't die.

• Like 1

Just Friends (2005)

Directed by Roger Kumble

Starring:  Ryan Reynolds, Amy Smart, Chris Klein, Anna Farris

Box office:  32.6 million

Ryan Reynolds in a fat suit.  Amy Smart being hot as you know what.  Anna Farris being psychotic and Chris Klein being a fake.  It all adds up to some really funny stuff.  Then you add the Christmas theme and you have one hell of a nice movie.  

This movie was not only very funny but its got its heart in the right place.  This is a coming of age movie for the 30's generation, it would be a shame to pass up this movie on a cozy night at home with or without someone. I think many of us had a best friend growing up that we were attracted to, but were never able to do anything about it. This movie shows the viewer the trials and tribulations of first loves, best friends, and lasting friendships. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone. The 4-5 main characters of this movie made everything worthwhile, and Ryan is hilarious.Yes, many of you know I have a man crush on him but he really is terrific in this.  And it has all the themes you look for in a Christmas movie.  Redemption, learning a lesson, and of course happily ever after.  

Image result for just friends movie

• Like 2

Jingle All The Way (1996)

Directed by Brian Levant

Starring:  Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sinbad, Phil Hartman, Jim Belushi

Box office:  60 million

There's a terrific message in this film and although it's a typical one in Christmas movies, if it's done right, it never gets old.  It starts off with Arnold running all over town to get his alienated son, the most popular toy on the market.  In the end, everyone learns that family is more important than material things.  Its certainly cliched but when you are making a Christmas movie, you don't try to reinvent the wheel.  It's a beautiful film and one that I have watched with my nieces and my brother.  My mom used to love it as well.  

Related image

• Like 8

Beyond Tomorrow (1940)

Directed by:  A Edward Sutherland

Starring:  Harry Carey, Aubrey Smith

Box office:  unknown

In this elaborately scripted fantasy, when three aging businessmen are unexpectedly left without guests on Christmas Eve, each tosses a wallet including a ten dollar bill from a window in hopes that someone honest will return one, and be asked to dinner, to make their holiday less lonely. Two of the three billfolds are returned, by a young man (Richard Carlson) and a young woman (Jean Parker) whose lives are acutely changed as they are welcomed not only to the table of the three gentlemen but also into their hearts and those of their two retainers (Maria Ouspenskaya and Alex Melesh). The young pair quite appropriately fall in love, only to have their beatitude marred when their sage benefactors die in a plane crash, but when the three promptly return to their town manse as apparitions, a bittersweet tale unfolds when Jimmy, the young man, falls prey to a siren (Helen Vinson) and the trio (C. Aubrey Smith, Charles Winninger, Harry Carey) in their belief that they will not be received in Heaven until they assist the lad in untangling himself from the vixen, set out to do so. After two of the spirits wend their way to Elysium, the last (Winninger) decides to remain within the shadow of Earth, swooping about while attempting to assist his young former charges with their romantic travails. It's a tender film albeit a somewhat low budget effort and yet it's very endearing and one that I saw as a youngster.  It has kind of stayed with me over the years.

Image result for beyond tomorrow 1940

• Like 4

Although Jingle All The Way is really a dumb, dumb kids movie. I admit I have a soft spot, mostly out of nostalgia, but I actually do think for all the film's problems, it's one of Arnold's best roles. He certainly "brings it".

• Like 1

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

Directed by Ron Howard

Starring Jim Carrey, Jeffrey Tambor

Box office:  260 million

This is a triumph to be embraced by the ages. It's a warm and touching, funny and highly entertaining piece of film making, satisfyingly brought to fruition by Howard, seemingly the perfect choice to direct such a vehicle as this. But make no mistake about it, this movie belongs to Jim Carrey, who was born to play this part. Nobody, but NOBODY, could have pulled this off better than Carrey. It's a dazzling demonstration of his talents; he has all the tools and uses every one of them in bringing the Grinch to life. From the Sean Connery voice he affects, to the physical bits he manages, to the exceptional costuming and makeup that help make it all fly, it's an exemplary performance in every way. Amazingly enough, there's no trace of Jim Carrey left here; he manages to disappear totally into the character, a transformation so complete that what you see is pure Grinch from the inside out. He pulls out all the stops and lets himself go with it, without ever taking it too far over the top. Howard, who obviously knew exactly what he wanted from his star, must get some credit as well for keeping the naturally exuberant Carrey on track, while allowing him to find his own comfort zone that made it all work. 

What's so magical about the Grinch story is the message it conveys.  And it's one of the things I adore about Christmas.  After the Grinch steals all the presents, ruins all the food, takes down every decoration, the tiny village still comes out to celebrate the day.  It's a time for family and a time to be thankful for the people you have in your life.  Howard's Grinch is a fantastic film and it has a lot going for it....not quite as much as the original but still, a terrific Christmas film.

Image result for how the grinch stole christmas  

• Like 5

Mixed Nuts

Directed by Nora Ephron

Starring:  Steve Martin, Juliette Lewis, Rob Reiner, Adam Sandler, Liev Shreiber

Box office:  6.7 million

One of those "slice of life" stories, "Mixed Nuts" portrays several hours on Christmas Eve in a crisis hot-line center where Phil (Steve Martin) works. Over the day, a most unusual series of events happens, and no one's life will ever be the same again. Some of the scenes are real shockers (you'll know them when you see them).

Steve Martin has a great time with the role, as does Rita Wilson as Catherine O'Shaughnessy, Phil's co-worker. You'll really like the elevator scene. Great support from Madeline Kahn, Robert Klein, Juliette Lewis, Anthony LaPaglia, Rob Reiner, Adam Sandler, and Liev Schreiber make this movie truly one Christmas treat. It's a bit contrived but then again, it's a Christmas movie so it kind of has to be. It's one of the reasons I like Chrismas movies so much. I need redemption and I need a happy ending. The only thing that's a bit different in this one is that there's no snow. But it's a Nora Ephron film so this automatically means it's going to be really good, imo.

Image result for mixed nuts movie

• Like 2

#33 (2005)

The Family Stone

Directed by:  Thomas Bezucha

Starring:  Diane Keaton, Rachael McAdams, Claire Danes, Craig T. Nelson

Box office:  60 million

This is a movie that should become a holiday classic. Now, I admit I have a real soft spot for it because my mom loved loved loved this movie. She laughed when we went to theater to see this. We didn't see a lot of films at the theater together, but this is one of them. It is incredibly fun and was very well cast. Although it does have a sad side to it, this aspect is so well handled and reminds us that death is also a part of life and families go on and grow and change and most importantly, remember. I have watched this movie over and over and never fail to laugh and enjoy the rich characters, situations and just plain family fun. I especially enjoyed seeing all the details that went into the house, all the clutter and "normalness". Every time I watch it I notice something new. It reminds me of a very comfortable, normal American or Canadian home. I most especially enjoyed the little details and expressions that shape each of the many characters in the movie. A final note about my mom's love of this is that she passed away 6 months after we saw this film together, so it kind of reminds me of her. But even beyond all the sentiment, it's a nice little Christmas film with a great cast and a nice message.

Image result for the family stone

• Like 2

The Nativity Story (2006)

Directed by Catherine Hardwicke

Starring:  Keisha Castle Hughes, Oscar Isaac

Box office:  37.6 million

The Nativity Story is by no means a commercial portrayal of the Biblical story. I'll admit this. The power of the film and what, in my view,makes it a terrific Christmas film is that it is indeed a realistic portrayal of human emotions.

I'm not sure of my religious beliefs. I like the idea of Christianity and all that it is supposed to represent. So even though I think I'm more agnostic than anything else, at Christmas, I love a good story about the birth of Jesus, this is one of the better ones.

Castle-Huhghes has acquired the maturity and intellect that was essential in playing such a prestigious role.I loved how the film acknowledges that Mary was only a child when she became the mother of Jesus, and the movie shows the emotional transformation of Mary. During her pregnancy Mary had experienced the power of bravery, the depth of kindness, the miracle of life and the profoundness of love. As a result she had grown from a frightened and unaccepted child to a woman. 

What I find to be the most brilliant about the film is that it is as nonreligious as possible. The movie is in many ways a gritty love story about a couple and their growing relationship through times of tragedy. Catherine Hardwicke has a reputation for directing films that portray the gritty teenage essence, and she takes her talent of amazing depictions of the teenage nature to the story of the beloved Virgin Mary. This is an excellent Christmas film and I encourage everyone to see it.

Image result for the nativity story 2006

• Like 5

Scrooge (1935)

Directed by Henry Edwards

Starring Seymour Hicks, Donald Calthrop

Box office:  Unknown

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first talkie film made of Charles Dickens classic story.  This has it all.  Ebeneezer, Tiny Tim, Bah Humbug, the three ghosts and the redemption of one evil and angry old man.  By now we all know the story of Old Ebeneezer, the rich but miserly man who runs the town.  In this version, he is such a cantankerous jerk that he denies Bob Cratchett from taking an extra lump of coal to heat his house as the nights grow colder.  But soon after, he is visited by the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future and he gets so scared by who he was, who he is and who he will become that he gets scared into being a good man.  

I truly love almost any version of Scrooge I've seen.  This one is an old and grainy copy I have.  It even has the old classic white lines going through the film from time to time.  But that adds to some of the charm.  It also has a terrific Christmas setting.  Snow, children playing, lots of cheer and a beautiful Christmas dinner where sins are forgiven and redemption is witnessed.  This film just feels right because its so familiar to all of us.  It is anything but bah-humbug and one I recommend for certain.

Related image

• Like 4