Mickey's Christmas Carol

Christmas Vacation

A Muppet Christmas Carol

Lethal Weapon

Edward Scissorhands

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Home Alone

Harry Potter 1

Before anyone objects, if a movie has some sort of Christmas scene or scenes to it, it counts as a Christmas movie, so your face.

Add Black Christmas (the original) on there and this would be pretty much my list. Burton's Christmas Trilogy is the best.

• Like 1

The Angel of Pennsylvania Ave (1996)

Directed by Robert Ellis Miller

Starring:  Diane Scarwid, Robert Uris

Box office:  Unknown: TV Movie

This will hopefully be the last of the films you haven't heard of.  I watched this on a Christmas DVD that had 20 movies on it.  This was one of the better ones.  This is shockingly based on a true story.  A young family during the Great Depression is in danger of losing their house.  The father travels to Detroit to look for work.  There he is accused of an attempted murder that he did not commit.  The three siblings travel to Washington to talk to the president to get their father exonerated.  This all takes place around Christmas.  It's a nice film with a nice ending.  And the fact that it's based on a true story is really quite astonishing.

Onto films you have heard of.  

Image result for angel of pennsylvania avenue

For Baumer:

(one of the folks in the Lucasfilm 'Story Group' that oversees and coordinates content development)

((Really good guy, too for that matter))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Jack Frost (1998)

Directed by Troy Miller

Starring:  Michael Keaton and Kelly Preston

Box office:  34.5 million

This is one of the those movies that many don't seem to like.  For me, it's a terrific Christmas film about second chances. .

I first noticed Joseph Cross, Charlie Frost, in the 100th episode of "Touched By An Angel" and since then I knew he was a talented young actor. Cross once again teamed with Keaton in "Desperate Measures" another awesome movie overlooked by the viewing audience.

"Jack Frost" is the kind of movie that has heart-warming moments intertwined with comedic wit. Keaton and Cross seem to have a lot of fun making this movie together and it showed in their performances. Scenes like the one that had Jack Frost throwing snowballs at the school bully and his friends as well as the chase that followed made it all worthwhile to see because this is what makes movies so good.

Watching this movie, it reminded me of "Ghost" because of its sweeping and heartwarming storyline.

Chemistry is one of the elements I look for in a great movie. "Jack Frost" has this element and more. While an unusual but a brilliant pairing, Keaton and Preston bring chemistry to "Jack Frost."  It's a terrific film to watch with kids as it has a great message and a lot of heart and a lot of repeat value.

Image result for jack frost 1998

• Like 3

Scrooged (1988)

Directed by Richard Donner

Starring:  Bill Murray, Karen Allen, Bobcat Goldthwait

Box office:  60.3 mill

"Scrooged" opens in the clouds, and then suddenly descends on a snowbound cottage. Signs inform us that it's Santa's workshop and we're at the North Pole. Inside, elves work hastily as Santa prepares himself for his impending duty on Christmas Eve night. But then, terrorists, packing some serious heat with them, lay siege to the workshop.

Panicking, Santa, Mrs. Claus, and the elves run towards the back of the shop, open a tool cabinet, which reveals an arsenal of M-16s, and soon everybody's armed to the hilt with automatic weaponry. But then Lee Majors appears on a snowmobile and reassures Santa that Christmas will be coming on time this year. Then Lee goes to work killing the terrorists with a large Gatling gun.

Then we're treated to a promo spot for a television production of "Scrooge," which features a bloody highway shooting, a plane blowing up, and drug addicts taking heroin. It is this sort of cynicism that's underlying in much of the subtext of this film, and it's also something that Frank Cross (Bill Murray), "the youngest television president in network history," thrives on.

And so opens "Scrooged," director Richard Donner's contemporary take on Charles Dickens's classic tale "A Christmas Carol." Dickens's novel has been fodder for countless television, film, and stage productions over the 150+ years it has been an accepted part of American literature, and this 1988 dark comedy is the latest incarnation.

The biggest reason it has is because it describes the need for mankind to not be so selfish, and it takes three ghastly apparitions over the course of a 24-hour period to show an old miser the error of his ways.

But all of this is in the past. Cross is so swept up in himself, that he gives bath towels to everyone (even his only brother) on Christmas. He asks his loyal secretary Grace (Alfre Woodard) to stay late at work, despite the fact that she has to take her mute son to the doctor. ("I care!" Frank says, when she confronts him about it.) He fires an underling named Eliot (Bobcat Goldthwait) for questioning him about his un-Christmas-like promo ads. He shuns Claire (Karen Allen), the only woman who's ever cared about him when she tries to provide comfort for the homeless. Yeah, Cross is every bit as a unsavory as most misers are when it comes to "A Christmas Carol."

But life is about to change for Frank, and that's marked by the sudden and (literally) explosive appearance of the rotting corpse of his late boss. The walking, talking "worm feast" informs Frank that he's going to be visited by three ghosts over the next 24 hours, and this may be his last chance to change his ways. And from there on, it's ghastly, darkly comic hilarity as Frank goes back, forward, and stays in the present as three ghosts (a manic cabbie, a jilted, abusive fairy, and a towering, cloaked skeleton, respectively) take him on a wild ride through his life.

Bill Murray is at his comic best here, getting "Scrooged" the way someone in his position should. Much like the lead character in "A Christmas Carol" realizes the error of his ways, Frank Cross does so too, but with a kind of cynicism that could only be provided by someone as indifferent, uncompromising, and selfish as him. And he's also quite aware from the appearance of the first ghost of what this trip entails.

The makeup and special effects are also worthy of some mention. The ghosts all look fantastic, even though some would argue that the effects that brought them to life are dated; well, this movie was made 30 years ago.

I liked "Scrooged," as it is certainly a fantastic Christmas movie to watch, and is quite funny, especially just to see Murray get his comeuppance in a role that seems to suit him perfectly.

Related image

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Jack Frost (1998)

Directed by Troy Miller

Starring:  Michael Keaton and Kelly Preston

Box office:  34.5 million

This is one of the those movies that many don't seem to like.  For me, it's a terrific Christmas film about second chances. .

I first noticed Joseph Cross, Charlie Frost, in the 100th episode of "Touched By An Angel" and since then I knew he was a talented young actor. Cross once again teamed with Keaton in "Desperate Measures" another awesome movie overlooked by the viewing audience.

"Jack Frost" is the kind of movie that has heart-warming moments intertwined with comedic wit. Keaton and Cross seem to have a lot of fun making this movie together and it showed in their performances. Scenes like the one that had Jack Frost throwing snowballs at the school bully and his friends as well as the chase that followed made it all worthwhile to see because this is what makes movies so good.

Watching this movie, it reminded me of "Ghost" because of its sweeping and heartwarming storyline.

Chemistry is one of the elements I look for in a great movie. "Jack Frost" has this element and more. While an unusual but a brilliant pairing, Keaton and Preston bring chemistry to "Jack Frost."  It's a terrific film to watch with kids as it has a great message and a lot of heart and a lot of repeat value.

This as a really bad horror movie filled with treacle.   Daddy works too much and is rarely home.  Daddy's dead.  No, he back as a Snowman!  Good news, now you have time to bond.

:sick:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1