baumer

Baumer's 50 Best Christmas movies of all time

46 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

#49:

Surviving Christmas (2004)

Directed By:  Mike Mitchell

Starring:  Ben Affleck, James Gandolfini, Christina Applegate, Catherine O'Hara

Box Office:  11.6 million

This movie really struck me in how much it connects with actual family togetherness - in that there rarely is any. Families try and hash things out the best they can, but growing apart and getting on each other's nerves is simply reality. Since the holidays are without a doubt sensory overload, it can either make families come together or drift apart like no other time of the year.

Ben Affleck pulls off a fairly decent job as Drew. There wasn't much there behind the cocky smile, but he pulled off the role nicely.

The real pleasure here was James Gandolfini and Catherine O'Hara. Gandolfini was great as a gruff tow-truck driver with a cuddly warm side burning deep down. And I loved O'Hara as the depressed, under-appreciated mom.

I give the movie high praise because it has its heart in the right place. It hits a lot of the Christmas beats you look for in a Christmas movie.

Image result for surviving christmas

It's a guilty pleasure of mine. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

My daughter absolutely loooooves Polar Express.

I'm buying her a copy this Christmas along with the movie Krampus.

Those two movies couldn't be different enough from each other.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

Trapped In Paradise (1994)

Directed by George Gallo

Starring Nicolas Cage, Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz

Box office:  6 million

Nicolas Cage plays the great straight guy while his 2 brothers played by Jon Lovitz and Dana Carvey supply the comedy value, in this hugely entertaining and funny movie. Things don't go to plan when the Firpo brothers try to rob the peaceful town of Paradise and get stuck there on Christmas Eve, only to find that they have robbed the nicest town on earth. I think Cage is great in this film, like in 'Peggy Sue Got Married', 'Family Man' and 'It Could Happen to You' he plays a lovable character that is full of emotion which you just can't imagine anyone else playing. There's also a great moment in the film where he loses his temper and he almost transforms into Castor Troy from Face/Off. If you're a fan of Nicolas Cage and not just the action stuff, you should see this movie and it's even better at Christmas time. It hits a lot of the Christmas beats you hope to see in a Christmas film. And it definitely has its heart in the right place.

Image result for trapped in paradise

• Like 5

The Lemon Drop Kid (1951)

Directed by Sidney Lanfield

Starring Bob Hope, Marilyn Maxwell, Lloyd Nolan

Box office:  Unknown

The silver bells are clinking down on Fifth Avenue here in New York City as I write this review, and what movie is more appropriate to write about than the one that famous Christmas song came from? I'm a big fan of classic Christmas music and Silver Bells is certainly one of the all time classics. This is classic Bob Hope; funny, touching, and filled with the joy of the season. This is not a remake of the 1934 Lee Tracy movie, although it does surround a character addicted to lemon drops who happens to hang out at a race track. That was a sentimental tale about a ne'er-do-well father who does all he can to get his kid back. This movie is a lot lighter and instead of a father missing his child, it is about a con man who learns something about giving when he decides to help out a group of old ladies. Of course, he has his own selfish motives, but when gangsters threaten to take over what he has come to see as the right thing to do, Hope takes action and reforms himself, winning the heroine (the lovely Marilyn Maxwell) in the process.

This is a must for the holiday season that will charm everybody and make you feel good about the true spirit of the holidays.

Related image

• Like 6

The Best Man Holiday (2013)

Directed by  Malcolm Lee

Starring:  Morris Chestnut, Regina Hall, Nia Long, Terrence Howard, Taye Diggs

Box office:  70.5 million

Well written and well directed by Malcolm D. Lee and well acted by the all star ensemble cast just like a classic movie should be. Taye Diggs was brilliant and the energy with the fellas especially Terrence Howard's performance was spot on. It's a very under rated Christmas film that doesn't just appeal to a black audience. There's universal themes in here; redemption, regret, love, the Christmas spirit, time healing wounds and so on. The basic premise is that Harper (Taye Diggs) has slept with far too many of his female friends. This not only includes his best friend Jordan (Nia Long), but also Mia (Monica Calhoun), who was engaged to Lance (Morris Chestnut) at the time. Lance has never forgiven him, but Harper is now happily married to Robyn (Sanaa Lathan). Don't worry if you've forgotten the events of the first film (or if you've never even seen it). It's been fourteen years after all, and Lee wisely opens the follow-up with a montage filled with old and new footage to bring us all up to speed. By the end of the movie, everyone forgives each other and the Christmas season helps everything along. It's a beautiful film and fits in perfectly at this time of year.

Image result for the best man holiday]

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Is Scrooged a top 20 Christmas movie or is that the nostalgia talking?

It's not on my favorites list, but I legit enjoy it. It's also got a lot of great holiday cheers, and it's a movie that makes me smile everytime I see it. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2