baumer

Baumer's 50 Best Christmas movies of all time

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I cry in a lot of movies now.  I think as you get older, you have more things that you can relate to.  It's a Wonderful Life has all kinds of things worth shedding a few tears over.  It really does have one of the best last few minutes of any film ever made.  IMO.

I know @Grand Moff Tele doesn't agree.  :sadben:

...I don't want to hate Tele.

:sadben:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I cry in a lot of movies now.  I think as you get older, you have more things that you can relate to.  It's a Wonderful Life has all kinds of things worth shedding a few tears over.  It really does have one of the best last few minutes of any film ever made.  IMO.

I know @Grand Moff Tele doesn't agree.  :sadben:

What, I cry all the time at movies.

:ph34r: 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964 tv movie)

Directed by Larry Roemer

Starring Burl Ives, Billy Richards

This is the first Christmas movie I remember watching as a kid and it has stuck with me all these years later.  Christmas just simply wouldn't be Christmas without this movie.  As an adult it's easy to watch this and pick apart many of the now darker aspects of the film.  Rudolph is ostracized because he is different.  Women are treated like inferiors.  The abominable snowman is treated cruelly as all of his teeth are removed while he is not sedated.  I notice these things as an adult but I also look past them because this film makes up for all of it with so much heart.  The message to this is that even though people are different, they should not be centered out or ignored or ostracized.  Santa even admits he is wrong to Rudolph.  So now that we have the politics out of the way, the reason this film ranks number 2 is because is does everything else right.  Burl Ives is my favourite Christmas singer.  He has classics like White Christmas, Snow for Johnny, Holly Jolly Christmas and of course Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  Here he narrates the story.  We meet Herbie the dentist, Cornellius the gold prospector and then we get to the island of misfit toys.  

Rudolph is viewed every year in my house.  It brings back warm feelings and memories of years gone by.  As I've mentioned too many times, my mother is instrumental in my love for Christmas, this was one of her favourites.  Rudolph is as classic as they come.

Image result for rudolph the red nosed reindeer

Hell yeah

• Like 2

Here's the top ten thus far:

1. Christmas Vacation

2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

3. Home Alone

4. A Christmas Story

5. It's a Wonderful Life

6. All I Want for Christmas

7. Die Hard

8. Gremlins

9. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original)

10. A Christmas Carol (1938)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Here's the top ten thus far:

2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

3. Home Alone

4. A Christmas Story

5. It's a Wonderful Life

6. All I Want for Christmas

7. Die Hard

8. Gremlins

9. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original)

10. A Christmas Carol (1938)

On 12/1/2016 at 9:18 AM, CoolEric258 said:

If Ernest Saves Christmas isn't #1, Imma riot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I'm surprised DIE HARD is all the way down at #7, although I guess it's not a "traditional" Christmas movie.

I love it, obviously, but the ones ahead of it are much more Christmas-like.  So that's why it's not quite top 5.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I did my yearly viewing of Home Alone the other day. Movie will never cease to make me laugh.

"Keep the change, ya filthy animal."

It really is a terrific script from Hughes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

It really is a terrific script from Hughes.

It's funny that it's so highly regarded now when it actually got harshly-reviewed somewhat back in the day (it's barely rotten on RT, today it would definitely be fresh). It feels like the fact it spawned so many terrible imitators over the years that tried to duplicate the climax caused the detractors to reevaluate the movie and see its positives lacking in much of its ilk (ala the enormous amount of heart the film has beyond that famous climax).

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

It's funny that it's so highly regarded now when it actually got harshly-reviewed somewhat back in the day (it's barely rotten on RT, today it would definitely be fresh). It feels like the fact it spawned so many terrible imitators over the years that tried to duplicate the climax caused the detractors to reevaluate the movie and see its positives lacking in much of its ilk (ala the enormous amount of heart the film has beyond that famous climax).

This is just one more reason I never pay attention to critics.  

They panned Empire Strikes Back when it first came out.

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

The conversation with the man next door, in the church, is one of the best quiet moments of the film.  It also gets me every time.

Have you heard the theory that the guy next door is possibly angelic? 

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

A Christmas Vacation (1989)

Directed by Jeremiah Chechik

Starring Chevy Chase, Beverly DeAngelo and Randy Quaid

Box office:  71.3 million

"Why is the floor all wet TODD?"

"I don't know MARGO!"

Without a doubt, one of the funniest films ever made.  I laugh from start to finish.  From Audrey's face being frozen to the green chem trails that the flying Santa seems to leave at the end of the movie, this is just diabolically hysterical in almost every scene.  If you have seen this movie, you know about the shitter being full.  You know about it being nipply in here.  You know about Snots and heads being sewn to the carpet and of Clark's meltdown after getting a year long subscription to the jelly of the month club:

" Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol? "

Christmas Vacation is blessed in every way.  A terrific selection of Christmas Carols and Clark's obsession with Christmas lights and trees and decorations and so on, makes this one a classic.  And it of course has a beautiful message about family and the Christmas spirit.  

I love this film beyond words.  And of course my mother would laugh hysterically at this movie.  I watch it several times over the holidays and it never gets old.  It's just the film that keeps on giving the whole year round.  

Image result for a christmas vacation

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

No.  I've never read that.

I literally just heard about it today lol

And loved the list and love number one but no likes yet :P   

• Like 1