Maverikk

What Are The Top 3 Westerns Of All Time?

1. The Good The Bad And The Ugly2. For A Few Dollars Movie3. Once Upon A Time In The West

That's an impressive list ... I was thinking along the same lines but a Top-3-list is useless anyway because you have to leave so many brilliant films out. "Rio Bravo" and "High Noon" should be on such lists, and "Little Big Man", and "Butch Cassidy ..." or even "Dances with Wolves" ...

That's an impressive list ... I was thinking along the same lines but a Top-3-list is useless anyway because you have to leave so many brilliant films out. "Rio Bravo" and "High Noon" should be on such lists, and "Little Big Man", and "Butch Cassidy ..." or even "Dances with Wolves" ...

A top 3 list makes coming up with the best 3 a challenge, not easy!

I've probably only SEEN 3 westerns :lol:It's weird though, I always say "I'm not into Westerns", but every one that I've seen, I've loved. Then again I haven't seen any of the classics, just the ones that have come out this decade... Jesse James/Robert Ford, 3:10 to Yuma, and True Grit. I think they're all excellent.

By the way, the 5 biggest western movies in terms of admissions domestic have been:Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -- 68 mio admissions (same level as TDK)Blazing Saddles, Mel Brooks spoof -- 60 mio admissionsHow the West was Won -- 50 mio admissionsDuel in the Sun -- 49 mio admissionsDancing with Wolfes -- 41 mio admissions

I've probably only SEEN 3 westerns :lol:It's weird though, I always say "I'm not into Westerns", but every one that I've seen, I've loved.

Pretty much the same here. I've seen very few, but I really like them. I remember having a sleepover when I was younger and staying up all night with my friend and we watched this really old western. I can't remember what it was, but that was the first one I can remember watching. Anyway, from what I've seen it'd have to be:Butch Cassidy3:10 to YumaAssassination of Jesse JamesI really need to watch more.

If you're seriously trying to consider the three best of all time you need to look at how they influenced the genre, movies at large, and perhaps even culture outside of the movies.

Possibilities:

The Searchers (highly influential for many directors and writers, plus it's one of John Wayne's most famous performances and it was one of the first Westerns to start taking a nuanced approach to the genre)

Stagecoach (one of the first movies that's essentially one big chase scene, plus it put John Wayne on the map)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (immensely popular in its day, still holds up well today, and essentially set the template for all the thousands of "buddy" movies that followed)

The Wild Bunch (Peckinpah's masterpiece, which ushered in a new era of realistic violence, gore, nihilism and stripped away the hero worship that westerns so typically had. Basically, UNFORGIVEN a couple of decades earlier).

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (Sergio Leone's great culmination of the "Man With No Name" trilogy, which has been a huge influence on Tarantino and Peter Jackson, among others). TG,TB,&TU is also head and shoulders (IMO) above the first two films in the trilogy). But if you want to single out a stand-alone Leone movie, it would have to be:

Once Upon a Time in the West (just a stunning and elegiac vision of the Cinematic West, both highly stylized and very natural).

Unforgiven (which doesn't really tread on new ground but essentially re-vitalized the Western as a modern genre and gave it new energy and gravitas).

Essentially, any modern western is drawing heavily from at least one of these movies, and often several of them.

• Like 1