Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti and The Panda Present: THE FIFTH ANNUAL BOFFY AWARDS! La La Land, Arrival, and Zootopia Lead the Pack!

Let see if Filmlover's secret hope comes true.

BEST HERO

The nominees are...

DEADPOOL / WADE WILSON

Played by Ryan Reynolds

DEADPOOL

DESMOND DOSS

Played by Andrew Garfield

HACKSAW RIDGE

JUDY HOOPS

Played by Ginnifer Goodwin

ZOOTOPIA

DR. LOUISE BANKS

Played by Amy Adams

ARRIVAL

MOANA

Played by Auli'i Cravalho

MOANA

The boffy goes to...

Spoiler

giphy.gif

DR. LOUISE BANKS

Played by Amy Adams

ARRIVAL

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, I must say, can we please not have Rogue One winning most things? I wonder how close Felicity Jones was to getting into Best Actress.

The ensemble and editing noms for Rogue One are still the funniest thing in the world to me

• Like 1

Here is our first tribute!

ZOOTOPIA

Directed by Byron Howard, Rich Moore, and Jared Bush

Disney

zootopia.jpg

Zootopia trusts its audience to stick through It, thick and thin. And being a mainstream movie that is intended for all audiences young and old, it pushes through many quiet and introspective moments. Some would call a 10-minute period at the end of the movie a “slowdown”, but I think it’s what gives the movie a soul at all. From the end of Judy’s press conference, to her apology to Nick, there’s nary a jokes in sight, and the movie is all the more sublime for it.

And what an apology it is from Judy: “And after we’re done, you can hate me, and that’ll be fine, because I was a horrible friend and I hurt you, and you can walk away knowing you were right all along, I really am just a dumb bunny."

Some rifts are too deep and sometimes no apology is enough: I’ve never heard a hint of that message from any children’s movie I’ve seen. And they kept up the tone for so long. No slapstick, no puns for ten minutes, all for the service of this desperate plea. Of course, it's all forgiven, as we're accustomed to happy endings, and after this, Judy and Nick save the day. But we'll never forget what it took to mend this beautiful friendship.

-Cannastop

Honestly, Zootopia has more mature themes and handles them better than most actual Oscar contenders I've seen.  The movie floored me, it is one of Disney's best movies period.  This is golden aged Pixar level quality.  The film is quirky, funny, emotional, smart, layered, and gorgeous to look at.  The film comes packed with a message and themes that honestly adults need to hear more than the children it's aimed at.  I am hoping and praying this becomes a Disney staple that kids watch and re-watch, because it could make this world a better place for it.

Every few years you get a movie that flips a mirror on the audience, to expose their own behavior, and does it perfectly.  Zootopia does just that (and the message isn't the only reason the movie is great, it's just that it is literally the driving force behind the film).  And honestly, with all of the directions American politics have gone lately (especially with Trump), this movie manages to expose the hatefulness out of fear that has been driving so much of it.  It has the punch of a great documentary about diversity while being an entertaining Disney film that anyone can watch and enjoy.

-The Panda

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

Let see if Filmlover's secret hope comes true.

BEST HERO

The nominees are...

DEADPOOL / WADE WILSON

Played by Ryan Reynolds

DEADPOOL

DESMOND DOSS

Played by Andrew Garfield

HACKSAW RIDGE

JUDY HOOPS

Played by Ginnifer Goodwin

ZOOTOPIA

DR. LOUISE BANKS

Played by Amy Adams

ARRIVAL

MOANA

Played by Auli'i Cravalho

MOANA

The boffy goes to...

Hide contents

giphy.gif

DR. LOUISE BANKS

Played by Amy Adams

ARRIVAL

Image result for but dreams do come true gif

Btw, I'm missing write-ups for Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Arrival and Rogue One

if you did one for those, and didn't message it to us, go ahead and send it to me.  If I don't get it by the time I need to post the movie, I'll have to use a review from the review thread and just give you the opportunity to post the write-up here later if you want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Btw, I'm missing write-ups for Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Arrival and Rogue One

if you did one for those, and didn't message it to us, go ahead and send it to me.  If I don't get it by the time I need to post the movie, I'll have to use a review from the review thread and just give you the opportunity to post the write-up here later if you want.

Whoops :ph34r:

It's time to take out the trash.

WORST PICTURE

The nominees are...

Assassin's Creed

Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Independence Day: Resurgence

Suicide Squad

Zoolander No. 2

And the boffy of shame goes to...

Spoiler

171168.jpg

SUICIDE SQUAD

Good riddance.

• Like 16

A bit behind on write-ups so have another!

HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE

Directed by Taika Waititi

The Orchard

81-hunt-for-the-wilderpeople.jpg

In the New-Zealand-set comedy film Hunt for the Wilderpeople, a young orphan and a cynical foster father form an unlikely bond while adventuring through the wilderness and running from those that want to capture them. The film shows the lush and colorful country from an intriguingly unconventional point of view as the journey continues forward, and from very early on in the runtime, the dedication spent on accurately describing an entire community of people and making the events seem grounded in a brimming world is clearly evident. Writer and director Taika Waititi expertly stamps his trademark peculiarity onto his work with snappy dialogue and offbeat visual style, and each of the performances, including turns from the veteran Sam Neill, the unwavering Rachel House, and the breakout Julian Dennison, among others, shine brightly and add even more depth to what were already deep characters in the first place. The film's idiosyncratic nature ensures its position as a film standing apart from any other film in 2016 or perhaps the whole decade when all is said and done. And, lastly, this film portrays the heartfelt bonds that can generate from the most peculiar situations and keep themselves molded together in the midst of life's most devastating disappointments.

-slambros

Ah. Hunt for the Wilderpeople. The film I have championed pretty much since I joined back in the April of 2016. In other words the one I’ve been an annoying dick about. Especially when you lot made it miss the top 25 by half a point. But hey, when you love something, beat it into the ground until people don’t want to watch it anymore. Enough about that; this movie is seriously delightful. Julian Denison and Sam Neil make an unlikely but adorable pair as Ricky Baker (a real bad egg) and Uncle Hec. Their journey across New Zealand, escaping a tough and misguided social worker played by Rachel House, makes for a hilarious and beautiful (thanks to New Zealand’s stunning landscapes) ride. This movie is so much fun but it’s also surprisingly poignant. It deals with loss and the impact of child poverty (which is a fairly major issue in NZ) in a really touching way, much in thanks to Taika Waititi's direction. He juggles tone really well; it can switch from funny to sad on a dime without taking you out of the film. Paired with some great writing, (it’s a very quotable film) this made Hunt for the Wilderpeople one of my favourite films of 2016 and it showcases how great New Zealand cinema can be.  

-AABATTERY

giphy.gif

Waititi is cementing his catalogue with this refreshing gem of a comedy by following the sneakers steps of a "real bad egg" aka Ricky Baker, a chubby 13 tears old juvenile delinquent of Maori descent running away from children foster care services that want to put him back into "Juve" (crystallized into an hilarious female agent that sees herself as the Terminator tracking Sarah Connor "before she could do chin-ups" she adds) with his reluctant adoptive uncle Hec, played by Sam Neill.(who much like Dr Grant has no use for brats except he's not digging up dinosaurs bones but dabbles as an old farmer in the NZ bush with his big hearted wife). The old "Grumpy Man of the Wild vs Bratty Kid from the city" opposition/contrast-only-to-bound-overcoming-their-drifts is the source of many laughs and also melancholic reflections (Ricky talking about his biological mom or one of his foster care "friend". Hec's past and illetrism) during their journey wandering like 2 Wildebeests into the beautiful wild landscapes of NZ looking out for a family while the whole country is looking after those two misfits.

On sheer surface, Waititi exhibits a lot of visual and writing absurdist quirks of a NZ Wes Anderson but it never feels artificial like an entomologist or a taxidermist making absurdist plays with his puppets trapped into carefully crafted miniatures environment and vintage chromo furnitures. It's lively (the characters are colourful but all seem pretty grounded except maybe for the jarring appearance of Psycho Sam that feels more like a cartoon compared to the 3 dimensional tragi-comic protagonists), those natural NZ vistas are drop dead gorgeous, all of this provide its own voice. Waititi has a knack of juggling tone that harkens to some korean directors like Bong Joon-Oh that manages to blend comedy, drama and action in the span of a scene effortlessly. Lot of heart, touching moments, hilarious moments (Waititi's cameo, "SHIT JUST GOT REAL...AGAIN!").

The soundtrack made of synth pop composed by Moniker and classics (like Nina Simone's Sinnerman and Leonard Cohen's The Partisan) also contributes to the contrast aspect, turning this adaption of a children book by author Barry Crump into an unique mixture of offbeat touches blended with familiar tropes reminiscent of Roald Dahl. Maybe that exquisite NZ flavor that the movie exudes through and through with breezing charm.

-dashrednar44

• Like 10