YM!

Should we expect a softer Summer Domestic Box Office?

Hoping for Valerian and Dunkirk to break out ...

With what we know about the Nolan film, it still amazes me Warner sees Dunkirk as a summer tentpole.

But conter programming can do wonders so maybe it will be a winning choice in the end.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

At least August should have some high quality movies. New films from Kathryn Bigelow, Edgar Wright, and Steven Soderbergh is always a cause for celebration.

??

JUNE:

I see WW breaking out.  Over 250M

The Mummy flopping Under 100M

Transformers underwhelming

JULY:

Spidey is a success

War of the apes  should do good

Dunkirk flopping UNDER 100M

Dark Tower flop UNDER 100M

August is a wasteland

So YES i expect a soft summer BO

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

Well the average moviegoer sees some 5-6 movies a year, right? Depends on whether you believe that demographic has seen more than their usual average by now and would suddenly stop once they've hit their usual limit.

Or, if the films are appealing enough, they'll go anyway

Really?? Man, I can't imagine just going to 5 or 6 movies a year.

20 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Really?? Man, I can't imagine just going to 5 or 6 movies a year.

9 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I can't imagine either. I'd like to go 5-6 movies a month if anything.

Theres plenty of people like that. One of my cousins used to watch 3-4 movies a month. Then he had a kid and he hasn't watched a movie in theaters for 4 years now. Different phases of life have different priorities for people.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Hoping for Valerian and Dunkirk to break out ...

With what we know about the Nolan film, it still amazes me Warner sees Dunkirk as a summer tentpole.

But conter programming can do wonders so maybe it will be a winning choice in the end.

What is up with Dunkirk? I have been gone for a few months. Did some new news surface?

It looked pretty mainstream and like a solid hit to me. I mean not 200M+ hit but definitely over 150M.

5 hours ago, The Panda said:

Bigger hits actually tend help films down the line because it exposes them to wider audiences with the trailers before the movies.

People aren't going to skip out on a movie in May because they saw one in March.  Competition effects more recent movies, as that's when the consumer is faced with a direct choice between movie A or B.

This. Granted, I might not see the film until a few weeks later during a matinee, but if a film is interesting enough I'll eventually go see it.