DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yes, WB hates money.

What money? lol These films arent huge earners. Plus they'd be losing the China Co-production and miss out of that extra percentage take from China. I don't see WB fronting $190M for another one of these.

Just now, Bishop54 said:

What money? lol These films arent huge earners. Plus they'd be losing the China Co-production and miss out of that extra percentage take from China. I don't see WB fronting $190M for another one of these.

Godzilla cost 160M. I am sure they don't need to cost 190M every time.

9 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Yes yes, I agree! They need to seriously look at the budgets going forward. Though, I think they're pretty set on what they want to do through GvsKong. 450m WW will easily happen for Kong.

$50M Less than Godzilla which was barely a success lol. 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Hollywood Reporter also upped the estimated international opening for Kong...

Yesterday they said "expected $65m", now today they've said "low to mid 80's".

A $135m worldwide opening should be good for $350-370m worldwide.

Then comes China... which should be over $500m total. 

Hit.

Not a hit with that budget and marketing expense with such a big chunk WW coming from China.  A studio would rather make $50m more in the US than $200m more in China.  More like an eventually break even and maybe make some profit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bishop54 said:

$50M Less than Godzilla which was barely a success lol. 

Godzilla was released in the summer and much more hype.

Kong has opened well enough to solidify Godzilla vs Kong.

You'll be insufferable when that release comes!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not a hit with that budget and marketing expense with such a big chunk WW coming from China.  A studio would rather make $50m more in the US than $200m more in China.  More like an eventually break even and maybe make some profit. 

Depends on the deal with China on this one.

Plus, with $150m US and $255m INTL it'll cover the production cost without even considering China.

A lot of the marketing can be offset with promotional partners. (we'll never know true cost).

And the rest of the marketing will be eclipsed by US DVD/Blu, streaming, cable tv, network tv, intl dvd/blu, intl streaming, intl TV.

It'll make money.

Edited by Krissykins

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Legendary has a huge advantage in China though. It's basically a Chinese studio making Hollywood films. Legendary keeps more $ than other studios from China. It was in a article from months ago... Would find it but eh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, franfar said:

IN

I was thinking it would hit 525, but I don't think the reviews are rave enough.

I also think your OW is a bit high.

Don't trigger me, as part of Lent I've given up on making clubs until April.

Not just any movie can do $525M because it's hyped up. Let's look at the films that have done it- 

Titanic - Well, no need to explain.

The Dark Knight - A movie that, nearly a decade later, is still the gold standard for comic book films (just look at what Logan is getting compared to.) Based on a hugely iconic pop culture character and is held by many to be one of the best movies of all time.

The Avengers - The first ever large scale comic book crossover movie. Got great reception and was the biggest popcorn blockbuster since Independence Day.

Jurassic World - Long awaited return to one of the biggest and most we'll known film franchises ever.

Star Wars: TFA - Same as JW but with the added "its Star Wars" reasoning.

Rogue One - It's Star Wars. With Vader. And it still barely did it.

Beauty and the Beast isn't touching that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Kong will do slightly better than Pacific Rim...PACIFIC RIM!

Slightly? It's going to out perform it by at least 100m worldwide. Last I checked, PR is getting a sequel too.

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Kong will do slightly better than Pacific Rim...PACIFIC RIM!

Pacific Rim did 100M DOM and 410M WW. Kong will do 130-150M DOM and 500-550M WW. Are you drunk and/or high?

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Not just any movie can do $525M because it's hyped up. Let's look at the films that have done it- 

Titanic - Well, no need to explain.

The Dark Knight - A movie that, nearly a decade later, is still the gold standard for comic book films (just look at what Logan is getting compared to.) Based on a hugely iconic pop culture character and is held by many to be one of the best movies of all time.

The Avengers - The first ever large scale comic book crossover movie. Got great reception and was the biggest popcorn blockbuster since Independence Day.

Jurassic World - Long awaited return to one of the biggest and most we'll known film franchises ever.

Star Wars: TFA - Same as JW but with the added "its Star Wars" reasoning.

Rogue One - It's Star Wars. With Vader. And it still barely did it.

Beauty and the Beast isn't touching that.

It's outselling Civil War according to Rallax and it's a family movie, so a 3x is the bare minimum it should achieve.  Hype for it is out of this world.