DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

5 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Legendary has a huge advantage in China though. It's basically a Chinese studio making Hollywood films. Legendary keeps more $ than other studios from China. It was in a article from months ago... Would find it but eh.

Even if they got the same % of Box Office revenue that they get in the US and I don't think they do (It's better but I think it's in 40s instead of the 50s) the bigger issue is that there's almost zero ancillary in China.  The The WSJ did a piece  2-3 years ago breaking down  B.O. and ancillary returns in major markets and $1 earned at the US Box Office on avg eventually brings back 7 times more than $1 of B.O. in China.  Now with Legendary getting a bigger portion of the theatrical that might be more like 4 or 5 to 1 instead of 7 to 1.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

You guys get way too caught in trying to determine budgets and profitability. :lol: If you enjoy the movie, who cares what WB spends?

I am not worried. I know these numbers lock in Kong vs Godzilla as a sure thing which I want to watch.

40 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Warner Bros would still continue the movies, as they got the film rights for Godzilla and Kong.

I thought Legendary owned the rights for those two.

Edited by Goffe

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

When Wanda dumped that hack Thomas Tull it served notice that these projects are risky, maybe too risky. 

The MonsterVerse films are not the problem. That's their golden goose at the moment. It would be idiotic to drop these films. While I'm surprised PR got a sequel, like I said the MV films arent the problem.

Your hatred for these films is amazing. You've been doing this for what, 3-4 years? Come on...

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

You guys get way too caught in trying to determine budgets and profitability. :lol: If you enjoy the movie, who cares what WB spends?

GODDAMN IT TELE HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN WE'RE ON A BOARD MADE EXCLUSIVELY FOR TALKING ABOUT BOX OFFICE NUMBERS.

• Like 2

I don't like imdB trolls as much as the next guy, but come on guys, do we really have to label someone as one just by how many posts they have? The number of posts a user has in NOT indicative of how much they know about movies and box office. We all started out with 0 posts at some point, how about we let these people build their reputation before we bash it?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Cookson said:

The MonsterVerse films are not the problem. That's their golden goose at the moment. It would be idiotic to drop these films. While I'm surprised PR got a sequel, like I said the MV films arent the problem.

Your hatred for these films is amazing. You've been doing this for what, 3-4 years? Come on...

Golden Goose? Let's not put movies that barely profit into categories with other WB cash cow franchises like LOTR and Potter. Jesus! 

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

How profitable was that Lab Rats thing for Disney in the end?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

What exactly is your problem with the MonsterVerse?

I don't really have any besides Godzilla being a complete bore and people making it seem like these films are box-office gangbusters.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Box office numbers are hard data. Budgets and profitability aren't. :) 

:kitschjob::kitschjob:

They tend to go hand in hand, no?  I mean one major part of box office is determining if the film is profitable.  Lone Ranger wouldn't have been a flop, for instance, if its budget was 140M less than what it was.

1 minute ago, Bishop54 said:

Golden Goose? Let's not put movies that barely profit into categories with other WB cash cow franchises like LOTR and Potter. Jesus! 

No. You're not listening. It's LEGENDARYS baby at the moment....

And let's just totally forget about home video profits etc...

3 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

No. You're not listening. It's LEGENDARYS baby at the moment....

And let's just totally forget about home video profits etc.