Impact

Best actor predictions-2017

1 hour ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

As more time goes by, I doubt Hanks gets in. The fact that he couldn’t get in for his last three major dramatic roles (Captain Phillips, Bridge of Spies, and Sully) - especially when he actually was the star of those movies, spells trouble for another nomination. It’s a shame because he legitimately deserved a nomination for all of these (even for the otherwise mediocre Sully).

Oldman, Chalamet, Franco are probably safely in. I’m still not certain if Phantom Thread could go the way of Inherent Vice, but DDL still is very probable to get in. Hoping Kaluuya is the last nomination.

I think DDL is in on account of the barren nature of the category and being DDL (plus the fact this is his last performance before going into "retirement"). That final spot is between Kaluuya and Gyllenhaal (who has been campaigning his ass off all season and has the kind of role/performance that acting bodies will go for, despite the film being a box office flop).

• Like 1

Oh, The Post was seen by enough people. I saw it on someone else's screener. The movie is so preachy that they might as well have turned to the camera while stating that it is a message to Trump. Tom Hanks' performance is Tom Hanks being Tom Hanks, and his voice is strange in it. I have no idea why anyone believes that he is some front runner. The SAG absence is revealing. You can believe whatever you want, though. 
Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Oh, The Post was seen by enough people. I saw it on someone else's screener. The movie is so preachy that they might as well have turned to the camera while stating that it is a message to Trump. Tom Hanks' performance is Tom Hanks being Tom Hanks, and his voice his strange in it. I have no idea why anyone believes that he is some front runner. I see Streep and Best Picture happening. The SAG absence is revealing. You can believe whatever you want, though. 

Nobody ever thought he was a frontrunner. A nomination was always going to be his reward at best (especially when he missed in previous years for Captain Phillips and Sully, which he had actual individual buzz for). Stop putting words in other people's mouths.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

Nobody ever thought he was a frontrunner. A nomination was always going to be his reward at best (especially when he missed in previous years for Captain Phillips and Sully, which he had actual individual buzz for). Stop putting words in other people's mouths.

Alright, I have no idea why anyone believes that he is a guarantee for a nomination. Tom Hanks has not been nominated because too many people believe that he has been phoning it in and playing himself in every role. If he was not able to receive nominations with Bride of Spies, Captain Phillips, Sully etcetera, then he is not receiving one for an insipid performance in The Post. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy

I saw Darkest Hour yesterday and can comfortably say Oldman does not deserve to win at all. He's really good in the film (which is mediocre at best without him), but there are easily five more worthy performances from this year IMO (and I haven't even seen Call Me by Your Name, The Post, or Phantom Thread yet).

10 hours ago, BardCrank said:

he is 120 years too young for the academy 

The Academy is 120 years late in giving someone young the award, they have no problem giving best Actress to young Stars. 

but then again the fact that Fences was nominated for BP, and Moonlight WON over LA LA LAND last year. pretty much caused me to lose any faith I had in the Academy. 

2 hours ago, Kalo said:

The Academy is 120 years late in giving someone young the award, they have no problem giving best Actress to young Stars. 

but then again the fact that Fences was nominated for BP, and Moonlight WON over LA LA LAND last year. pretty much caused me to lose any faith I had in the Academy. 

I fell you mate , Argo winning best picture  triggered the Fuck out of me 

5 hours ago, BardCrank said:

Life of Pi of course , second choice would be either Lincoln or Beast of the southern wild 

Life of Pi was one of my favorites of the year too. While I knew it wouldn't win because it was a little more mixed, Les Miserables is one of my personal favorite films of all time. And I enjoyed other films that missed the nomination, like Moonrise Kingdom and Skyfall.