Impact

Best actor predictions-2017

4 hours ago, slambros said:

Life of Pi was one of my favorites of the year too. While I knew it wouldn't win because it was a little more mixed, Les Miserables is one of my personal favorite films of all time. And I enjoyed other films that missed the nomination, like Moonrise Kingdom and Skyfall.

Moonrise Kingdom .... what a lovely underappreciated movie 

well , to be honest there are very very few acceptable movies  that could have been a worse win than Argo 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2017 at 4:51 PM, slambros said:

Armie Hammer for "Call Me By Your Name"

Benedict Cumberbatch for "The Current War"

Daniel Day Lewis for Untitled P.T. Anderson Fashion Film

Gary Oldman for "The Darkest Hour"

Jason Mitchell for "Mudbound"

Wrong Category

Weinstein'd

Yes

Yes

Wrong Category

Final predictions:

Timothee Chalamet, Call Me by Your Name

Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread

James Franco, The Disaster Artist

Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out

Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

The consensus five, really. Franco definitely feels the most vulnerable though, usually one ends up missing so we might see Hanks or Washington (despite his film being a total no1curr) get in in his place.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:42 PM, filmlover said:

It's a pity that Jeremy Renner's campaign got sabotaged by, ya know, who released his movie in theaters. In many years he would've made for a perfect last place filler spot for his work in Wind River.

I thought his campaign got sabotaged by that God-awful History Channel show. He should be jailed for producing such pile of shit to rival the one from Jurassic Park. :lol:

I think your list is the correct one with Franco suddenly being the most vulnerable since TDA didn't do well at the boxoffice outside of the initial rush. 

Edited by Valonqar

If that article is all there is about Franco it will def feel uncomfortable and it will be brought up a lot over the next months if he's nominated, but if that's all and no other stories come to light it's not much. I've read it and most of the accusations read as so flimsy the most damning part of the whole thing ends up being the title "5 women accuse Franco for sex stuff".

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

those sex accusation is getting out of hand.....and most of them are just rumor without concrete proof....

what do you mean proof ? are you implying that  mob rule (especially twitter ) replacing due process and our justice system is not the correct course of action ? don't you see ,  this way we save huuuuuuuuuuuge amounts of money that would otherwise be spent on lawyers and courts and conviction rates will close down on 100% . talk about efficiency 

Is it possible for an actor or actress to withdraw their name from the nomination (assuming Franco gets it)? Because that's most likely what's gonna end up happening and we'll just have 4 nominees (Oldman/Timmy/Kaluuya/DDL). If Franco ends up getting nominated, of course.

3 hours ago, New Year New Panda said:

Yeah the allegations haven’t blown up like Spacey’s did, I don’t think this effects the race.  I also don’t think Franco’s winning, but I think it was Oldman’s to lose anyways.

The allegations look like they probably came too late for them to make a difference as well.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

I feel like whoever wins Best Actor is gonna have baggage. It is just the crop you have this year. 

Just got out of Darkest Hour. I see why the critics/awards are eating it up. I found it very showy and one-note.

I still think Franco gave the best performance. It was so authentic and weird and sad.

And I can’t believe I am saying this, cause he is not a fave, yet I am puzzled that Sebastian Stan’s name hasn’t been thrown around for I, Tonya.  It was such a flawless performance that really captured the character’s frightening, manipulative, sociopathic nature. And if we buy into “all acting is reacting” I don’t think Margot could have had a better screen partner. 

For me it would be:

Kaluuya - Get Out

Franco - Disaster Artist

Stan - I, Tonya

And then waiting to see Phantom Thread to fill the other spots. I know that won’t be the list, but it would be a nice to hear the gasps from the audience if it happened. 

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I feel like whoever wins Best Actor is gonna have baggage. It is just the crop you have this year. 

Just got out of Darkest Hour. I see why the critics/awards are eating it up. I found it very showy and one-note.

I still think Franco gave the best performance. It was so authentic and weird and sad.

And I can’t believe I am saying this, cause he is not a fave, yet I am puzzled that Sebastian Stan’s name hasn’t been thrown around for I, Tonya.  It was such a flawless performance that really captured the character’s frightening, manipulative, sociopathic nature. And if we buy into “all acting is reacting” I don’t think Margot could have had a better screen partner. 

For me it would be:

Kaluuya - Get Out

Franco - Disaster Artist

Stan - I, Tonya

And then waiting to see Phantom Thread to fill the other spots. I know that won’t be the list, but it would be a nice to hear the gasps from the audience if it happened. 

Sebastian Stan was campaigned at Supporting (even though he's essentially a co-lead).

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Sebastian Stan was campaigned at Supporting (even though he's essentially a co-lead).

That is wild. Maybe they were trying to put a Get Out. Knew they wouldn’t win leading so knocked him down to Supporting.