FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

3D doesn't bump 10M in gross either nowadays. 3D is only a good thing in Asia and South America nowadays. It is dead in Europe and North America.

It varies by country for example there are countries in Europe that  still do very well with 3D (Like Germany) some so so and some where its as dead as a dodo same Asia

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, passerby said:

I wanted 100 million for BATB. Oh well. 

I only watch 3D when the 2D showing has sold out. Kind of curious, what is everyone's preferred viewing format?

For a movie that matters to me, I prefer best local IMAX -- not the dingy digital faux IMAX. For a movie that sells out, I go for reserved seating in whatever format has not sold out. For a movie, I want to see, I usually go for reserved seating in 2D. Everything else is walk up ticket for 2D. 

For a movie heavy on visuals: IMAX > 3D > 2D

I didn't know there was "faux IMAX"

10 minutes ago, Rth and the Beast said:

It varies by country for example there are countries in Europe that  still do very well with 3D (Like Germany) some so so and some where its as dead as a dodo same Asia

Here it is so dead only a few theaters get the 3D version and only at 6 PM shows :lol: 

11 minutes ago, passerby said:

I wanted 100 million for BATB. Oh well. 

I only watch 3D when the 2D showing has sold out. Kind of curious, what is everyone's preferred viewing format?

For a movie that matters to me, I prefer best local IMAX -- not the dingy digital faux IMAX. For a movie that sells out, I go for reserved seating in whatever format has not sold out. For a movie, I want to see, I usually go for reserved seating in 2D. Everything else is walk up ticket for 2D. 

I found this website that is very helpful regarding 3d movies.  Its title is 'to 3d or not to 3d'

http://www.cinemablend.com/3d/

I was attracted to see Doctor Strange twice in 3d, but Star Wars not so much.

2 minutes ago, franfar said:

There is 70mm film giant screen IMAX and 2K digital projector small screen IMAX.

I'm not sure what the name IMAX on the second one mean exactly, is it just a brand name tag used on the door with nothing else or are those 2K digital projector special in some ways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Out of the top 10 grossing films WW last year only one wasn't in 3D...

and excluding China which has extrmenly high 3D atm anyway, a lot countries running those fils do vary greatly on 3D component, take CATCS top 10 counties 3D was as low as 5% but then there's and example of 50%

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rth and the Beast said:

Any breakdowns by country? I'd like to see how well 3D does in Sweden.

11 minutes ago, franfar said:

Count yourself in a lucky area if you only have one kind of IMAX. Here in the city, small scale IMAX screens are popping up, not nearly the size of even a premium screen back in the day. There's also a difference between analog film IMAX and digital IMAX. Analog is superior but digital is darn close. So that difference isn't much of a game changer.

What about 35mm and 70mm and other special formats? Anybody go out of their way for that? I tried to see Interstellar in 35mm but it didn't happen. But I did see The Hateful Eight in 70mm and I gotta say, it was worth it!

The 2K projectors are pretty good, but the only thing that makes it IMAX is the branding. It doesn't hold a candle to a giant screen with a 70mm projector. However, for a movie to get the full effect of an IMAX presentation, it has to be shot on 70mm film. There's only been two wide-release films in the past quarter century that were shot entirely on 70mm: The Master and The Hateful Eight. And neither of them were actually shown in IMAX theaters. As such, it's largely not worth seeing movies in IMAX, unless you just want the picture to be bigger.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 2

Saw this posted on shh.    Yes yes. Yes.  There is hope for power rangers 2

After doing my research on lionsgate movies, i can say Power Rangers is going to get a sequel, and is going to have a box office similar to Insurgent

Insurgent: 
Production Budget: $110 million
Opening Weekend: $52,263,680 
Domestic: $130,179,072
Foreign: 
$167,097,257

Power rangers: 

Production Budget: $100 million

Opening Weekend $40,500,000

a sequel to this was greenlit, but bombed, so power rangers may get one more chance

2 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

Saw this posted on shh.    Yes yes. Yes.  There is hope for power rangers 2

After doing my research on lionsgate movies, i can say Power Rangers is going to get a sequel, and is going to have a box office similar to Insurgent

Insurgent: 
Production Budget: $110 million
Opening Weekend: $52,263,680 
Domestic: $130,179,072
Foreign: 
$167,097,257

Power rangers: 

Production Budget: $100 million

Opening Weekend $40,500,000

a sequel to this was greenlit, but bombed, so power rangers may get one more chance

It's going to be tough for Power Rangers to touch Insurgent numbers, though. I could see something like Ghostbusters numbers ($229m) worldwide, but with a little less domestic and a little more overseas.

Question for those very familiar with box office performance: What is going to keep Power Rangers from performing similar to GI Joe 2? They both opened on the same weekend in March, both are based on children's franchises, both follow installments that underperformed (granted, PR's was all the way back in '97), they both fall under similar genres, and they both pulled in $40.5M on opening weekend. And GI Joe ended up with a 3.03x multiplier. Is there any reason Power Rangers can't do the same?

Edited by johnboy3434

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

It's going to be tough for Power Rangers to touch Insurgent numbers, though. I could see something like Ghostbusters numbers ($229m) worldwide, but with a little less domestic and a little more overseas.

Of course, it could do much more if it blows up in China, where Ghostbusters didn't even play.