CJohn

CINEMACON 2017 | Official Thread

Honestly for as much notes as it got as a disaster in retrospect I kinda thought On Stranger Tides was just a forgettable, entertaining ride. AWE was the muddled mess if anything. People said the same thing about OST at the time as I'm hearing now (not in retrospect), and that didn't get met with much love from critics or audiences. No real reason to think this one will either, with the whole law of diminishing returns.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Disney is promoting it pretty well. Don't think it will be a massive hit or anything but it should end up with a solid total

True, but with the early Cinemacon screening, I think everyone expected way more praise than the "It was alright" variety. Like @Cmasterclay said, we heard all this "Best since the first one" for OST during release as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Honestly for as much notes as it got as a disaster in retrospect I kinda thought On Stranger Tides was just a forgettable, entertaining ride. AWE was the muddled mess if anything. People said the same thing about OST at the time as I'm hearing now (not in retrospect), and that didn't get met with much love from critics or audiences. No real reason to think this one will either, with the whole law of diminishing returns.

Once again, I disclaim that this is the Curse of the Cynic talking here.

The idea of what makes a later sequel "in the spirit" of a previously loved film in a franchise with multiple lousy sequels has become a matter of subjectivity. People can drum up the fact that the idea of giving Jack Sparrow a new guy and girl to play off of is back to the "spirit" of the original with Will and Elizabeth, but to the cynic, it's still not Will and Elizabeth.

The ultimate thing for me is that what made Sparrow so unique in the first one wasn't just the attitude, but mostly the fact that he was the ultimate wildcard character with Will and Elizabeth as the true protagonists. Because of it being our first time watching him, we had no idea what to expect. We didn't know what side he was on until the very end of the first movie. Since that movie established what side he was on, there's just no more real surprise anymore.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

True, but with the early Cinemacon screening, I think everyone expected way more praise than the "It was alright" variety. Like @Cmasterclay said, we heard all this "Best since the first one" for OST during release as well.

It feels views on the sequels are all over the place. On one hand, you have people saying 2 & 3 are better than 4 because of their ambition. On the other hand, you have people saying 2 & 3 are worse than 4 because of their bloat.

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$200m or so domestic sounds about right.  I could see it getting as low as a $75m - $85m opening.  

The last one opened with 90M. Best case scenario, this one does that over the 4 day weekend.

Pirates and Transformers are sort of the same thing at this point, but Pirates has the advantage because it at least tries to have fun.  Both are made for the international market because that market is still wowed more by spectacle and shit blowing up.  

• Like 7

Just now, CJohn said:

The last one opened with 90M. Best case scenario, this one does that over the 4 day weekend.

Dont forget, the 90M was at 3D's heyday and 4 was the first one in 3D as well. Will be interesting to see how it performs for sure.

I didn't clear the waitlist for the F8 screening in LA, hopefully they have future screenings as well.

• Like 2

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Pirates and Transformers are sort of the same thing at this point, but Pirates has the advantage because it at least tries to have fun.  Both are made for the international market because that market is still wowed more by spectacle and shit blowing up.  

Fun is clearly a subjective argument. ;)

Don't think anyone was expecting a Dark Knight ( which is what I would call a game changing blockbuster). As llong as it offers a good balance of set pieces, action and humor it should do fairly well. It will likely be the last one and a sendoff to the the franchise  thanks to the ballooning budgets anyway 

Edited by John Marston

9 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

http://screenrant.com/mummy-2017-trailer-cinemacon/

Reveal hidden contents