Eric is Quiet

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

14 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

So, why do Power Rangers fans expect the Lionsgate movie to do well in Japan, based on this result so far for their own superhero property?  The Super Sentai series is what is marketed in Japan, not the Power Rangers.

It's worth noting that the Super Sentai movies released in Japan are essentially feature-length episodes of the show. The actors, costumes, and special effects are lifted wholesale from the show, with maybe a handful of extra spectacle due to a slightly higher budget. They're more comparable to Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie than the first movie or the current one.

Edited by johnboy3434

46 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Yeah, 5m+ for a Kamen Rider might seem small... But they're actually making some decent money for that company.

A Hollywood PR movie making that same amount would be embarrassing.

I don't think some PR fans are counting on Japan as much as South Korea on the 20th and China in May. Not that I expect much,but those are the two markets most refered to by their fans.

1 hour ago, Tele Came Back said:

A lot of the hate and dismissal comes from folks who never bothered to see it. I'm hardly any sort of pro-PR person, but it was a fun movie. 

Agree, sadly it's getting some what hurt by it's name along. People hear "Power Rangers" and jump on the gun that the movie must be bad,because of how over cheese the TV show was. Never giving it a fair chance.

• Like 3

I think of the three Asian markets, South Korea is the one to watch.  They've been rebranding Sentai seasons as Power Rangers for years and they even commissioned their own show from Toei using redesigned Kyoryuger/Dino Charge suits and props.  They're more familiar with the name Power Rangers than Japan and China are.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Momo said:

Agree, sadly it's getting some what hurt by it's name along. People hear "Power Rangers" and jump on the gun that the movie must be bad,because of how over cheese the TV show was. Never giving it a fair chance.

Similar to G.h.o.s.t in the shell. Reviews were trash but not many of the board's critics actually saw the film.

Edited by franfar
The movie was censored to Whitewashed smurfette. smurfing mods
  • Like 1

I feel like a lot of the criticism of PR comes from a sense that the legs are poor. Which is true, but it's also true that it vastly overperformed opening weekend. Nobody expected it to hit $40m. Hell, most people probably didn't expect it to hit $20m.

If it had been a $20m/$70m performance, people would probably be claiming it was a big example of overperformance, but since it's $40m/$90m, it's now a disappointment? That doesn't make sense.

18 minutes ago, franfar said:

Similar to G.h.o.s.t in the shell. Reviews were trash but not many of the board's critics actually saw the film.

Testing: Whitewashed Smurfette, Ghost in the Shell

Results: You didn't have to put periods in "Ghost", the mods only censored the abbreviated form of the film.

Edited by Jason

2 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I feel like a lot of the criticism of PR comes from a sense that the legs are poor. Which is true, but it's also true that it vastly overperformed opening weekend. Nobody expected it to hit $40m. Hell, most people probably didn't expect it to hit $20m.

If it had been a $20m/$70m performance, people would probably be claiming it was a big example of overperformance, but since it's $40m/$90m, it's now a disappointment? That doesn't make sense.

It was tracking at 35-40M, not sure how a 40M OW counts as over performance based on tracking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It was tracking at 35-40M, not sure how a 40M OW counts as over performance based on tracking.

I think he's saying that some expectations on the movie were to high. Shoot,you had a certain troll claiming it would match Cheap TV Smurf or Grimdark Smurf. When most know that was never going to be the case. To me people should be happy if it makes money like Tyler Perry movies make money for Lionsgate.

P.S. Why is my sentences going Smurf? lol

Edited by Momo

People also tend to not realize that, as of this weekend, Power Rangers has made over $40 million profit for Lionsgate.  If it ends up getting $80-90 million total DOM, that's quite a decent profit for them.  It's far from a disappointing domestic performance.