Eric S'ennui

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Power Rangers will probably end with 90M. Pretty bad run and holds for a movie with an A Cinemascore.

I'm sure that GitS would kill for that number. :rofl:

That's it? Shitty DHD numbers? Any word from Gods?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That only means they missed one Awards season.  They banked heavily  on Birth of a Nation and that was a disaster and then did a late pickup on Jackie which got some but not a lot of Awards traction.

I think they're having an identity crisis tbh. Other studios like A24 and Amazon have come along and are securing the most promising projects while they get stuck with things like Table 19 and Wilson.

GITS will be at 31.2 after a 7m weekend. With F8 next weekend, it could again show a big drop and loose theaters.

Which means that there is a realistic chance of GITS Dom under LUCY's OW (43.9). Such a club doesn't exist though.

sing along versions just seem like the most embarrassing thing in the world to me. even when i was a kid and i did sing along to my favourite disney tunes there's no way i would've done it at the cinema.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

From the expected hold BATB is showing, looks like the singalong didn't have much of an effect on the holds.

Yeah I think it's too early into it's run and the movie could be fresh in people's mind. They have previously added singalongs towards the end of the runs so that there is some gap between repeat viewings.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Power Rangers will probably end with 90M. Pretty bad run and holds for a movie with an A Cinemascore.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It clearly appealed mostly just the base and not really anyone else.

Has Cinemascore become less reliable in the past 3 years?  Deadline had an article about Cinemascores the weekend when the 2014 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was released.  Power Rangers had an "A" Cinemascore, but 2014 TMNT had a "B" and went on to make over $190 million, close to a 3X multiplier for the Turtles.

And I saw this from the Power Rangers Now Twitter:

• Like 1

Ouch at that PR number. I'm now predicting a $5.76M weekend, which is a 59.7% drop, close to the 60.5% real drop of the second weekend. Ouch ouch ouch.

In spite of all that, LG's financing strategies mean that they're already making a profit. They covered three-quarters of production and American marketing costs before the movie even released, so to get a (presumably) satisfactory 10% return on investment, the studio only needs to get about $45.5M. If my projection is correct, by the end of the weekend they'll end up with $42.3M plus whatever little they get from the UK. 

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It clearly appealed mostly just the base and not really anyone else.

Except the base isn't nearly big enough to pull in $70M+ on its own. It clearly appealed to somebody.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think they're having an identity crisis tbh. Other studios like A24 and Amazon have come along and are securing the most promising projects while they get stuck with things like Table 19 and Wilson.

It happens.  Look at  A24 releases these this year (neither money makers nor critical darlings) vs FS. 

The Blackcoat's Daughter    A24       $19,110     26     $12,402    26     3/31 -
    Trespass Against Us   A24 $5,711  20 $1,620 20   1/20  

Gifted FoxS $145,800  56 N/A 56 4/7/17
    Wilson FoxS $633,298   311 $336,227 3  10   3/24/17
    Table 19 FoxS      $3,614,896  868    $1,597,928 868 3/3/17
    A United Kingdom FoxS $3,736,984    317 $66,510 4 2/10/17

And only 2 A24 films - Moonlight & The Witch made over $10m last year.  While, The Room won Best Actress and had a lot of precursors and made about as much as Jackie.

Going in Style is definitely the surprise of the weekend. It can possibly get as high as 13M OW depending on today and a 45-50 finish with even Jersey Boys legs. Will be a good moneymaker in the end, steady revenue source pretty much.

• Like 1