alisson23

Disney: Currently the biggest, most powerful, smartest and (??)most safe(??) movie company in the world.

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Disney should be in the dictionary as the word that means the opposite of creative, talk about uninspired movies, I can't get excited by none of their future shits.

That means you're looking forward to at least one of their films :redcapes: 

2 hours ago, alisson23 said:

But currently, what contribution Disney, the biggest and most powerful studio in the world is giving to the cinema for the art or for the originality?

Right now that would be mostly in the animation side, Zootopia, Inside Out, etc... The genre giant 3D computer animation can sell original movie, much more than live action at the moment. Pixar at over 8 billion was a good investment because it not only "saved" disney animation but updated it in something has big if not bigger than Pixar with Lasseter and Pixar brain trust in charge of it.

Why can not anyone see what's going on?? Disney is setting a bad example for the movies industry. 

Pretty much everyone see what is going on and many (that have money like Universal/WB) are trying to mimic it with less success showing how Disney has been good at it, that said Disney didn't launch a live action franchise (and almost any live action success, that they did not bought/sequel) since Pirate in 2003, almost 15 year's ago, depending on how healthy the Marvel/Star Wars/Pirates/Indiana Jones franchise in 5 year's, the Disney era could already be something of the past. There is a limit on what there is to buy out there.

Not so long ago (late 90's, early 2000's), Disney were the other way around in term of strategy, they thought they could eliminate risk by having a giant diverse slate, they were often the studio with the most movies released, 40-45 a year, the 10-13 movie release a year but only giant budget one ended up being not only much more profitable, but much safer too. A bit like Disney decision to stop doing 2D animation for 3D (they did continue a long time even after Monster Inc. / Shrek year) the movie going audience dictated Disney business model much more than Disney changing audience.

I think there is some hope, there is a chance that audience start to see anything with a MCU logo, star wars, etc... and if so, there is a possibility that they take chance fearing that if they do not it would become stale and being sure to have a first weekend no matter what anyway. But there is so much certain money to be made on them if you just don't mess up, just deliver a good product without needing it to be special, that it is unfair to not expect them to aim for that, the ball is in the audience hand, if more people go see Fantastic Four than Sicario or Kubo, the franchise model would continue to grow and grow regardless of Disney success.

Wishing for high quality franchise/remake output and being happy when they are good (like MadMax, Godfather 2, etc...) is probably an healthy mindset to get in.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Original is Beauty and the beast remake

I liked Life, but there isn't an ounce of originality in it. The film draws heavily from Alien and acclaimed science-fiction film Gravity. 

• Like 5

IMO, I disapprove of what they do inside of their main division (in other words, films not branded as Lucasfilm, Marvel, WDAS, or Pixar).  I'm a huge advocate for originality in Hollywood, or at least building off of an already solid franchise with new, creative material to continue the franchise in a great way.  Marvel and Lucasfilm are both doing an excellent job with their universes, and both WDAS and Pixar frequently create new, original material.  However, if you look at all their upcoming live action remakes in their main division, you'll notice a big problem:  Creating remakes that don't need to be made.  Hell, even Pixar is beginning to fall into this trap in the form of unnecessary sequels (Toy Story 4?  Cars 3?  really?), and WDAS is showing early signs of it with the announcement of Frozen 2.  Their slate consists of: POTC 5 (not continuing in a meaningful direction at the moment), A Wrinkle in Time (a gold nugget in their slate, a film with actual potential), Magic Camp (hey I guess it's original?), Mulan (lol), Mary Poppins Returns (double lol), Lion King (MASSIVE lol), and countless other live action remakes that are "in development," or whatever.

Honestly, it's getting pretty tiring for me.  I did really like Disney when they would at least TRY with originality occasionally (you can argue about their quality all you want, but John Carter, Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland were all steps in this direction).  Now it just seems like that they're put off with the underperformance of these films and are completely losing all hope on this front.  This might be understandable if it were a smaller studio, but this is Disney.  I'm sure they can afford to lose a few bucks if the new Star Wars/Marvel entries per year will continue to generate revenue for them.  And who knows, maybe it will be the next Pirates of the Caribbean and start a new franchise.  But they don't do that, and now that their Dreamworks/Touchstone banner is pretty much retired from them, I don't know if I'll be looking forward to many Disney branded films in the near future (the only ones outside of Lucasfilm/Marvel I'm anticipating are A Wrinkle in Time, Wreck-It Ralph 2, and Incredibles 2).

• Like 4

Just now, alisson23 said:

"Thanks so much, Pixar. You have the merits here. I will release your masterpiece with love." - Disney

So Pixar doesn't count. Okay.

What about Zootopia? Moana? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I liked Life, but there isn't an ounce of originality in it. The film draws heavily from Alien and acclaimed science-fiction film acclaimed science-fiction film Gravity. 

The end... Simple but "original", bold at least. 

Just now, alisson23 said:

"Thanks so much, Pixar. You have the merits here. I will release your masterpiece with love." - Disney

In 1995, Toy Story was the first entirely CGI animated movie but went on to become the highest grossing movie of 1995. Disney has low expectations for it, and it broke out hugely. I'm not saying Disney's slate is original, in fact it's not and from a creative standpoint I'm disappointed, but they do release an original movie every year though the majority are animated. Disney, seems to be trying to branch out with Jungle Cruise and Magic Camp, even some if it's untitled films are untitled live action not untitled fairy tale.