Dementeleus

BOT: THE REVISITING -- now up, 1987! MINI-EXTENSION, deadline is tonight, June 25!

4 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I'm gonna extend ballot acceptance through today. There were a couple stragglers we will count, and that means anyone who hasn't submitted has a few hours to get a list in. 

How many lists have been sent in?

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

ishtar is good and was on my list. it's shitty reputation is a manufactured media narrative because it's no fun to make fun of flops that are good.

Several years ago I think Comedy Central did one of those play the same movie over and over again all day things for Ishtar. Their main advertising tag line was "it's not that bad of a movie." 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I had that reaction to Fatal Attraction. After its first 40 minutes it's a textbook case of a dumb as shit movie masquerading as a serious adult drama

FA starts off good and then degenerates into boogy woman horror.  Ishtar isn't Manos The Hands of Fate - but it's not good - it's unfunny and laborious.  I'm not buying into the revisionism that it's it not that bad - let alone actually good.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

kinda amazing that anyone would give fatal attraction a pass in 2k17. regressive conservative trash.

Especially considering the whole backstory regarding the script and revisions made to it, it's much more valuable as a document of mainstream Hollywood and its messages circa the mid-80s than it is as an actual movie. The ways it continually goes off the rails are very revealing. 

wasn't de palma the one who made those revisions? bummer but at least his version would have some flair to it. Lyne at least gives us the "HE'S DESCENDING INTO HELL" red lighting when douglas first goes to her apartment. was that less of an eye roll move in the 80s?