kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not fanboying here, but Shyamalan is definitely a reliable name again to audiences after the positive reception of The Visit and Split.

I still think he has some trust to earn back with audiences. The Visit did reasonably well but it's not like it was some runaway hit that a ton of people saw compared to Split. So for a lot of people, it's like he got back on his feet again, let's see where he goes now that he's got a big hit under his belt again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Dafuq Bay is God.

:kitschjob:

Let's be honest...most people aren't going to see a Transformers film expecting quality. They expect spectacle and nothing else probably.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Oh, well @Blankments, guess 40M+ isn't in the bank after all. It's my fault, everyone, I jinxed the movie. Sorry.

God, under 40M for this? I mean, it's not like it was impossible (it really wasn't), it just seemed unlikely after that strong preview number. Couldn't imagine this movie being that frontloaded.

YOU RUINED MY WEEKEND :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

:kitschjob:

Let's be honest...most people aren't going to see a Transformers film expecting quality. They expect spectacle and nothing else probably.

They expect BAY-FUCKING-XPLOSIONS.

Spoiler

THIS IS WHY I TRIED TO KILL YOU DAVID. YOU FAILED BAY.

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

True. Though I suppose that depends on the crowd you're appealing to. Everybody knows Clint, but I don't think younger audiences generally recognize him as a director as others might.

The nice thing about Nolan, is that his name is synonymous with quality and his movies appeal to a pretty general audience, young and old, male and female.. The same can't be said for something like Michael Bay who is well known, but not entirely for the right reasons.

His movies get pretty consistent reviews and are a treat to see in theaters, but.....only a few of them really hold up for me during re-watches. TDK trilogy, for starters.

Memento is still really good. 

Anyways, back to my point about Nolan being popular. You make a good point when it comes to the different demographics. Older audiences know Spielberg, younger ones would know Tarantino and Nolan. Still, I'm saying that he's not on that  level (although he's close) of Tarantino and Bay because outside of Inception and Interstellar, he hasn't really been making hits for as long, nor have they been huge with the broader public. 

Anectodal, but when I got the trailer for Split for a movie my brother and I saw, he admitted that he thought it looked interesting, but was turned off by Shyamalan's name being mentioned. Granted he's very reluctant to go to the movies, but there's probably still some people who may know Shyamalan's name but don't find it as a reason to go.

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not fanboying here, but Shyamalan is definitely a reliable name again to audiences after the positive reception of The Visit and Split.

The Visit really didn't make that much money, so I don't think it made that big of a mark on the GA. But the two movies you listed are the beginning of his revival; assuming, ofc, he doesn't fuck up again.

He had a decade run of poorly reviewed films, most of them bombing. It's gonna take a long time to clean up that stench.

10 minutes ago, franfar said:

His movies get pretty consistent reviews and are a treat to see in theaters, but.....only a few of them really hold up for me during re-watches. TDK trilogy, for starters.

Memento is still really good. 

Anyways, back to my point about Nolan being popular. You make a good point when it comes to the different demographics. Older audiences know Spielberg, younger ones would know Tarantino and Nolan. Still, I'm saying that he's not on that  level (although he's close) of Tarantino and Bay because outside of Inception and Interstellar, he hasn't really been making hits for as long, nor have they been huge with the broader public. 

And yet, people have endlessly discussed TDK, Inception, Interstellar, etc. Whatever their re-watch value, they tend to generate huge discussions, so they tend to take on a greater life than the average blockbuster. Even the very successful ones.

Also, I would argue Nolan is ahead of Bay nowadays, because whatever he lacks in terms of how long he's been in the game, Bay hasn't had an original smash that he carried on his name alone in a long long time. Not to mention the degree of difficulty to turn movies like Interstellar and Inception into 600m+ hits without any ties to a property/franchise whatsoever. Granted, the landscape doesn't really support original blockbusters for the most part these days. But the fact that Nolan can get that budget and do what he wants, while Bay is doing his 5th Transformers film speaks for itself, in my opinion. Tarantino's name carries a lot of weight with those who are open to his movies, but his idiosyncratic style limits the ceiling of what his movies will achieve. In that sense, I think Tarantino's name means more to those who have seen and are willing to see his movies. But at the same time, that population is smaller than what Nolan's name can reach if that makes sense.

The point is, when Nolan makes a movie, big or small, it's been a success. And in some cases, giant successes. Even going back to a movie like Insomnia or Memento, or the Prestige, it did what it needed to, even if they were films that were never going to be giant smashes. If he turns Dunkirk into a success, it might be one of his more impressive feats yet.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 8

Shyamalan needs to do at least three good movies (and I don't include The Visit because it's not good) before I can trust him again.

I can let slide funnybad shit like Lady in the Water and The Happening but Last Airbender is a crime against cinema on every level and it's not something you can forgive easily.

After Earf is super shit too but that at least partially lies on Will Smith.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They expect BAY-FUCKING-XPLOSIONS.

Hide contents

THIS IS WHY I TRIED TO KILL YOU DAVID. YOU FAILED BAY.

There's only room for one God in my life. 

Besides, how did Age of Extinction treat you?

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

And yet, people have endlessly discussed TDK, Inception, Interstellar, etc. Whatever their re-watch value, they tend to generate huge discussions, so they tend to take on a greater life than the average blockbuster. Even the very successful ones.

Yeah, that was just my personal opinion, not meant to be a reflection of how the GA felt.

I understand the rest of your argument, though. 

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Like shit :sadben: But Bay redeemed himself with 13 Hours. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

You mean this one?

805441ad255b561c515d5f457f845fb1.jpg

• Like 2