YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

12 minutes ago, StillJayAlways said:

So according to you people pirate movies because they don't like them :kitschjob:

No people pirate certain movies because they feel they aren't worth spending $14 to go see in the theaters. People don't like to leave movies angry at what they watched. It feels like getting scammed. So when the next one comes along, why rush out to the theaters to get burned again? This is the type of film that should have gone straight to HD.

It's why I can wait for The Mummy. I don't want to pay that amount of money to watch a movie I'm probably going to find bad. Other people can justify it and that's fine. Not me.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I think Valerian could overperform simply because everything else is doing pretty shit, other than the SH movies.

People gotta go to something. It is a bit early to make claims like that though; something else might end up breaking out so who knows!

By the time Valerian and Dunkirk release, I can see the top movies of the year being BATB, 4 Superhero movies, Despicable Me 3, F8, Lego Batman and Cars 3. IP is King, superhero licenses are worth even more.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

By the time Valerian and Dunkirk release, I can see the top movies of the year being BATB, 4 Superhero movies, Despicable Me 3, F8, Lego Batman and Cars 3. IP is King, superhero licenses are worth even more.

They really are. The ROI on Disney's Marvel buy must be insane at this point.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I think Valerian could overperform simply because everything else is doing pretty shit, other than the SH movies.

People gotta go to something. It is a bit early to make claims like that though; something else might end up breaking out so who knows!

By the time Valerian comes out, the summer will  be winding down. I think the peak of summer movie going is probably occurring now though and then once War of the Planet of the Apes hits it's downhill. Everything released after that will be lucky to hit 100m including Valerian, Dunkirk, Dark Tower and Emoji Movie. Maybe we will get a late summer breakout (150m+) but i cant decide on which one yet, so many wildcards. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, aabattery said:

They really are. The ROI on Disney's Marvel buy must be insane at this point.

WB actually made so much from superhero consumer products last year, they actually split it into its own category on their year end profit and loss report which they had never done before.

Consumers spent an estimated $4.5B on @DCComics merchandise last yr, contributing to our record performance in Consumer Products–Bewkes $TWX5:47 AM · Feb 8, 2017

The DC stuff increased more than 100% year on year which shows the merchandising potential these movies have. The actual movies make money, but merchandise generates more than that.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, God Emperor Tele said:

Eh, probably not for casual fans like me. I tuned out when the Cavs went up big and don't really feel like I missed much. 

What? The Finals are what casual fans watch the most! Part of the reason why these Finals have had such high ratings. 

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

WB actually made so much from superhero consumer products last year, they actually split it into its own category on their year end profit and loss report which they had never done before.

The DC stuff increased more than 100% year on year which shows the merchandising potential these movies have. The actual movies make money, but merchandise generates more than that.

They always had consumer product line in their annual report, Im not sure consumer product sales make more money than movies (return is often small on those global sales)

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1105705/000119312517053483/d300508d10k.htm

Last year movie consumer product revenues:

321 million

Tv consumer product: 469 million

Or you could be talking about something else and change that I missed between the last warner annual report, do you know the page/section name of what you are talking about in it ?

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

LMAO. THIS HAS TO BE A TYPO BY MOJO.

47 Meters Down
Horror Thriller
Entertainment Studios 3,500

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

I certainly hope not.

It is not wrong, The Numbers is reporting the same number.

http://www.the-numbers.com/news/222560830-Theater-Counts-The-Mummy-Goes-Big

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, I noticed the giant standee at one of the theaters I go to. Seriously, HOW is this getting 3,500 theaters? It's going to be in for a legendary PTA next weekend and a legendary TC drop in 3 weeks.

4 hours ago, franfar said:

Isn't this movie just a wannabe The Shallows?

3 hours ago, Rman823 said:

In all honesty, if it wasn't for This Is Us this movie probably would've stayed direct to DVD. 

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Mandy Moore and Claire Holt are a hotter big screen duo than Scarlett Johansson and Kate McKinnon. Never thought I'd see the day.

Lmfao, at you all fools acting shocked and surprised as to why 47 Meters Down is being given so many theaters and a healthy promotion campaign.

I mean, the answer is obvious...

tumblr_orbbe5DbiG1thx4t0o1_540.gif

tumblr_orbbe5DbiG1thx4t0o2_r1_540.gif

tumblr_orbbe5DbiG1thx4t0o3_r1_540.gif

You all know why!!! Stop FORGETTING Queen's existence, you ----!

Blake Lively is fucking shook!

You all will not slander the Queen's name. I FORBID IT.

You will see, you all will see.

She is snatching roles left and right, she is coming!

BiXPdnB.gif

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

They always had consumer product line in their annual report, Im not sure consumer product sales make more money than movies (return is often small on those global sales)

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1105705/000119312517053483/d300508d10k.htm

Last year movie consumer product revenues:

321 million

Tv consumer product: 469 million

Or you could be talking about something else and change that I missed between the last warner annual report, do you know the page/section name of what you are talking about in it ?

They had consumer products always, they never broke out DC as a specific line item ever before this year. Selling 4.5B worth of products based on your comic book line will probably do that easily.

Just now, grim22 said:

They had consumer products always, they never broke out DC as a specific line item ever before this year.

Cannot find it you mean they will in the Q1 of 2017 ? Or I<m I could find it in 2016 pdf, do you know the page number ? Searching for DC everywhere in the annual report cannot find anything else (outside the generics fans spent 4.5 billion on dc product that do not tell us how much of that spending went to the studio vs the company that make the pyjamas, ship them, sales them, etc..)

Personally, I think Spider-Man:Homecoming is going to overperform.  Could see it earning anywhere from $250-300 M domestically.  Everyone thinks this is just another reboot but actually it's something I don't think we've ever seen before in the MCU, a genuine Marvel Team-Up movie.  We've had team movies before sure and movies like CA:Winter Soldier and Iron Man 2 where you have a second tier hero (Bucky/Black Widow) joining the main hero but never a combo of two tier-one heroes like Spidey and Iron-Man outside of a team movie.  Civil War doesn't count because that was basically Avengers 2.5.  Plus, another big plus that I think people are overlooking is Michael Keaton as the Vulture.  Love the fact that he's playing a blue-collar supervillain, again something I don't think we've ever seen before in the MCU.  A villain driven not by revenge or world domination but in it for the money.  Also goes for Shocker and Tinkerer.  Plus, from the all the trailers, it looks like a whole lot of fun.  A lot closer in spirit to an actual Marvel Studios production than the last two Spidey flicks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

It Comes at Night is an incredible gutpunch of a film if you allow yourself to become absorbed in the film's world. It's one of the few films this year that feels like an experience to me.

It felt like that, which is why I was into it.....and then it just ended. I completely understand why it got a D cinemascore. There was no point to it. 

I was absorbed into it, marveled at the unique camera angles, the great hallway shots....then the experience just cuts to black. It's like the director had no idea what to do to end the movie so he came up with the lamest way possible. 

What was the point? I've watched so many post apocalyptic movies that at least had some sort of message in it. What message did this have? That people suck and are easily paranoid? That's the real horror?

Oh wow, I haven't heard that 1,000 times. Thanks critics, I'm so stoked I rushed out and wasted $15 to hear that again. 

If felt like a haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights at the end of the night when most of the cast members went home (or were on break). So instead of walking through rooms expecting to see something, they are virtually empty...leading to an end scene that wasn't worth the 2 hour wait.

4 minutes ago, L Silver said:

Personally, I think Spider-Man:Homecoming is going to overperform.  Could see it earning anywhere from $250-300 M domestically.  Everyone thinks this is just another reboot but actually it's something I don't think we've ever seen before in the MCU, a genuine Marvel Team-Up movie.  We've had team movies before sure and movies like CA:Winter Soldier and Iron Man 2 where you have a second tier hero (Bucky/Black Widow) joining the main hero but never a combo of two tier-one heroes like Spidey and Iron-Man outside of a team movie.  Civil War doesn't count because that was basically Avengers 2.5.  Plus, another big plus that I think people are overlooking is Michael Keaton as the Vulture.  Love the fact that he's playing a blue-collar supervillain, again something I don't think we've ever seen before in the MCU.  A villain driven not by revenge or world domination but in it for the money.  Also goes for Shocker and Tinkerer.  Plus, from the all the trailers, it looks like a whole lot of fun.  A lot closer in spirit to an actual Marvel Studios production than the last two Spidey flicks.

Yeah, I think Spidey is just an 80%+ tomatometer away from breaking out big. 

• Like 2

Aghhh, this girl texted me she just left a party and wants to stay the night at my place. 

Nobody else is home, and idk, should I? Like, idk why she couldn't go back to her place, her family isn't home either I could give her a ride if she needs one 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, I think Spidey is just an 80%+ tomatometer away from breaking out big. 

Plus, it was a brilliant move to have him featured so prominently in Civil War.  Audiences got a taste of Holland and also Marisa Tomei as Aunt May.  Frankly, they were the two stand-out performances in that movie and I could see audiences really wanting to see more of them.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Aghhh, this girl texted me she just left a party and wants to stay the night at my place. 

Nobody else is home, and idk, should I? Like, idk why she couldn't go back to her place, her family isn't home either I could give her a ride if she needs one 

She wants something that you have

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Don't overthink it, dude. Take her to your place and have a good time.

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I could see this turning into a big problem in the morning if she stays at your place.  I would offer to take her back to her home.