grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

25 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Honestly, this is true.

Every once in a while I'll feel lonely, so I'll go on a date and then I'm over ut about an hour into it.

I reckon I just haven't found a girl who I work well with.  

Relationships are only overrated if your having lots of booty calls instead.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Can we please get another successful hit at the box office? Even them, I'm still sure everyone would be cumming over WW:

Next week: Wow, look at Wonder Woman's 37% drop! Such an amazing run. So fucking good. Yes. DM3 also opened to 100M and Baby Driver to 30M.

July 7: Incredible, Wonder Woman dropped 55% against a 120M opener! Truly a great hold with such weak competition in the marketplace.

July 14: Holy shit, Wonder Woman dropped 65% with the combined wide releases over 80M! I love Gal Gadot!

July 21: INSANITY! Wonder Woman has dropped 10%! There totally wasn't a fudge here with another WB movie! A true testament to a great film by Patty Jenkins.

July 28: Wonder Woman continues proving she's the only female action character with a 25% drop. Just STUNNING!

Image result for sour grapes meme

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I feel really bad for the people who think that Baby Driver is going to be a big hit just because it's a great movie. This might be Scott Pilgrim/Nice Guys all over again.

Baby Driver has broader appeal imo.

4 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Let me see here.   Michael Bay is obscenely rich and will continue on with his career of directing huge blockbuster movies. Transformers as a series will eventually have a reboot. This particular movie will at least break even at the box office and then turn profits down the road.  The franchise has already made a crazy amount of profit throughout the last decade.  

I'm not seeing a loser in this. The franchise is bottoming out in the states but this is hardly something to celebrate.  

Forget it Jake, it's the forums.

I've been fighting this fight for a decade or so.  Everyone here thinks Bay is a talentless hack and the Transformers films are the cause of cancer and global warming and the Yulin dog festival.  There's nothing you can do about it.  Even when AOE made more than a billion people still found a way to minimize that milestone.  Just smile and wave at everyone from now on, it's much easier.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, aabattery said:

I semi-agree that the Gal stanning can get a little over-the-top at times, but I do exactly the same thing with Taika Waititi so I'm not really in a position to criticise that.

Yea, well, maybe it's a bit over the top but that's the universe correcting itself after everyone complained that she was too skinny to be Wonder Woman or that her breasts were too small or that she was Israelian and not American or that her shoes were the wrong colour....or, well you get the point.

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Forget it Jake, it's the forums.

I've been fighting this fight for a decade or so.  Everyone here thinks Bay is a talentless hack and the Transformers films are the cause of cancer and global warming and the Yulin dog festival.  There's nothing you can do about it.  Even when AOE made more than a billion people still found a way to minimize that milestone.  Just smile and wave at everyone from now on, it's much easier.

"smile and wave"  lol

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, franfar said:

Eh, WW is having great drops ofc, but 5th weekend will be what, 15m? That's below the average of Wright's filmography:http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=edgarwright.htm

Then again, I haven't really followed BD, so idk if it's even more outside the mainstream than a typical Wright film.

15m is likely the floor next weekend, I'm thinking 17m+ depending on how high this one goes.

Edited by The Panda

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Defend this post?

What makes Alien Covenant a bad movie?

It makes my top 3 Alien movies easily.

I'll tell you why: simply put, AC shits on the legacy of the Alien franchise.

Alien: a perfect suspense horror thriller. Perfectly paced with masterful world building. One of the biggest strengths and a large part of the appeal was how it treated the characters: they are smart, and they react in a way we completely understand. We understand how they feel, and we believe the way that they react is in accordance with each person's character. Ripley is smart, strong and the way she deals with the alien makes sense. The screenplay is tight and consistent with the world that it builds.

Aliens: an exceptional action-horror thriller. A different flavor, but just as enjoyable. Again, the characters act in a way that is believable to the way we understand them. Ripley is again smart, brave and we see her motherly side in the way she interacts with Newt. The film builds upon the world-foundation that was built in the first film, and expands on it in an an understandable way. The internal logic of the film is pretty solid, and as an audience we buy into it without reservation.

After that, the Alien franchise starts to take off in odd directions. Plot-wise, they are essentially a re-hash of Aliens but start playing with the rules built in the previous two films, and audiences don't react as well. There are a lot of plot holes and some non-nonsensical actions by the characters.

Prometheus picks up the Alien franchise by building off the appearance of the "space jockey" from the original Alien film. It's a tantalizing concept, because there is so much potential that can be mined from this piece. The frustrating part about Prometheus is that is does EVERYTHING amazingly well, except the script seems to purposely destroy the integrity of itself, plus starts throwing away the "rules" built in the first two films. The characters are interestingly created and given three dimensions, but then they act in ways in complete opposition to their character! The guys with the 3D mapping technology get lost. EVERYBODY is careless and foolhardy. The plot turns on plot-inventions that make no sense--like a medical/surgical system that only understands male anatomy?! One dumb move after another sinks this film into the mud. It's one of the most frustrating films I've ever seen, because it has so much potential and it just throws it away with a horrible script. What it does do though, is expand on the Alien universe in an interesting way, with the engineers being the keystone. It leaves with Rapace and Fassbender headed off to the Engineer's home world, and we are teased with finally getting an answer to the origin of man. At least the movie leaves us with that much.

Now comes Alien: Covenant.....and it just takes the worst criticisms from Prometheus and the Alien 3+ films, and instead of addressing those criticisms, it doubles down on them. It feels like Ridley Scott is saying "FUCK YOU, MOVIEGOERS! I'm the creator and director of this franchise, and I'll do what I damn well please!"

This crew is the most incompetent crew of ALL the Alien films. Within minutes of landing on a completely alien planet for the first time, somebody is infected (in a way that NEVER existed in the Alien universe before) because NOBODY follows any sort of sensible bio-hazard protocol. Not one person does anything that makes sense for the 1-dimensional characters we've been given. There are virtually no characters we give a damn about. This film set ups its victims in the exact way a teen slasher film does. The only mildly redeemable part of this film are the android stories, but even that is just meh. The other big F-U of this film is the way it handles the way we were left with Prometheus: are we going learn more about the engineers? NOPE!! We are going to kill them. All that cool technology that we wanted to learn more about? NOPE! What about Shaw? NOPE! How about the origins of mankind? NOPE! What about a chance to talk to the engineers? NOPE!

Not only do we get NONE of that, it now completely retcons the Alien mythology built in the first two Alien movies! WTF?!

So A:C basically becomes a teen-slasher flick set in space, while taking a big dump on Alien, Aliens and Prometheus. It really is just a big budget B horror movie.

Fuck you Ridley Scott...I only hope Blade Runner 2049 isn't going to screw up Blade Runner the same way.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, grimfandango said:

Alien: a perfect suspense horror thriller. Perfectly paced with masterful world building. One of the biggest strengths and a large part of the appeal was how it treated the characters: they are smart, and they react in a way we completely understand. We understand how they feel, and we believe the way that they react is in accordance with each person's character. Ripley is smart, strong and the way she deals with the alien makes sense. The screenplay is tight and consistent with the world that it builds.

Aliens: an exceptional action-horror thriller. A different flavor, but just as enjoyable. Again, the characters act in a way that is believable to the way we understand them. Ripley is again smart, brave and we see her motherly side in the way she interacts with Newt. The film builds upon the world-foundation that was built in the first film, and expands on it in an an understandable way. The internal logic of the film is pretty solid, and as an audience we buy into it without reservation.

After that, the Alien franchise starts to take off in odd directions. Plot-wise, they are essentially a re-hash of Aliens but start playing with the rules built in the previous two films, and audiences don't react as well. There are a lot of plot holes and some non-nonsensical actions by the characters.

Prometheus picks up the Alien franchise by building off the appearance of the "space jockey" from the original Alien film. It's a tantalizing concept, because there is so much potential that can be mined from this piece. The frustrating part about Prometheus is that is does EVERYTHING amazingly well, except the script seems to purposely destroy the integrity of itself, plus starts throwing away the "rules" built in the first two films. The characters are interestingly created and given three dimensions, but then they act in ways in complete opposition to their character! The guys with the 3D mapping technology get lost. EVERYBODY is careless and foolhardy. The plot turns on plot-inventions that make no sense--like a medical/surgical system that only understands male anatomy?! One dumb move after another sinks this film into the mud. It's one of the most frustrating films I've ever seen, because it has so much potential and it just throws it away with a horrible script. What it does do though, is expand on the Alien universe in an interesting way, with the engineers being the keystone. It leaves with Rapace and Fassbender headed off to the Engineer's home world, and we are teased with finally getting an answer to the origin of man. At least the movie leaves us with that much.

Now comes Alien: Covenant.....and it just takes the worst criticisms from Prometheus and the Alien 3+ films, and instead of addressing those criticisms, it doubles down on them. It feels like Ridley Scott is saying "FUCK YOU, MOVIEGOERS! I'm the creator and director of this franchise, and I'll do what I damn well please!"

This crew is the most incompetent crew of ALL the Alien films. Within minutes of landing on a completely alien planet for the first time, somebody is infected (in a way that NEVER existed in the Alien universe before) because NOBODY follows any sort of sensible bio-hazard protocol. Not one person does anything that makes sense for the 1-dimensional characters we've been given. There are virtually no characters we give a damn about. This film set ups its victims in the exact way a teen slasher film does. The only mildly redeemable part of this film are the android stories, but even that is just meh. The other big F-U of this film is the way it handles the way we were left with Prometheus: are we going learn more about the engineers? NOPE!! We are going to kill them. All that cool technology that we wanted to learn more about? NOPE! What about Shaw? NOPE! How about the origins of mankind? NOPE! What about a chance to talk to the engineers? NOPE!

Not only do we get NONE of that, it now completely retcons the Alien mythology built in the first two Alien movies! WTF?!

So A:C basically becomes a teen-slasher flick set in space, while taking a big dump on Alien, Aliens and Prometheus. It really is just a big budget B horror movie.

Fuck you Ridley Scott...I only hope Blade Runner 2049 isn't going to screw up Blade Runner the same way.

so what you're saying is Lord/Miller or Edgar Wright should do the next Alien movie, right?

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

What's Amityville tracking at guys? Haven't heard much about that one. 

it's not releasing lol; BOM hasn't updated from it being pulled from the schedule three weeks ago

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yea, well, maybe it's a bit over the top but that's the universe correcting itself after everyone complained that she was too skinny to be Wonder Woman or that her breasts were too small or that she was Israelian and not American or that her shoes were the wrong colour....or, well you get the point.

Yeah the constant she's a terrible actress and can't carry a movie and is too skinny and has no boobs vitriol wasn't too much but praise is? Give me a break. I looked back on that Wonder Woman thread and there were so many posts of people calling her a terrible actress and miscast.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grimfandango said:

What about in Alien Resurrection when the guy is meshed in with the goo from the queen and he is talking to Sigourney Weaver

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

2017 has not been my year with women. Maybe that changes with Atomic Blonde and I get a gf shortly afterwards? Or maybe that's a letdown too and I stay single? :sadben: 

Being in a relationship is over rated.  I realize we are eons apart in age but a girlfriend does not define you.  Don't go looking for it, let it happen organically.  You'll thank me for this advice one day.

• Like 3

Re: COVENANT (or even PROMETHEUS)... it's weird to get angry at them for "ruining the franchise" when there were four shitty movies before them. They're decent enough -- problematic and certainly stupid in places, but also with some great visuals, mood, and even some solid acting -- hardly the worst of the whole franchise or even close to it. 

• Like 11