Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Zootopia is WDAS's best movie since the 50s.

That is all.

Ummmm...no.

Even if you think it's the best of their recent rebirth...no way is that better than Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, or even The Little Mermaid...epic, epic movies, all 3...much better than Zootopia...and I liked Zootopia as an A- movie:)...

• Like 3

Well no, the movie merchandise sales can be affected by how loved and successful the movie output is without being the only factor, like you said a car franchise is one of the best to be merchandised to young boys (versus a movie like Moana that is harder to turn into toys). Hard to believe that Cars merchandise sales worldwide would not have been 1% higher in the last 5 year's, that they would have been the exact same amount if Cars 2 was a Toy story 2/3 level beloved movie that made 900 million at the world box office.

We would need a by year breakdown to see if there is a jump in the movie year and if it is lower than for franchise with more liked and bigger output.

Someone did try to look for Hasbro toys sales and Hasbro related movie box office and the correlation was really strong:

mattel1b.jpg

Hasbro could be an extreme case, I doubt that would be the same for every franchise, but it is hard to imagine zero link between movie popularity and their merchandise.

Can not see strong correlation there, maybe I do not understand the graph (?)

If I was gonna pick my Top 3 GA animations since 2010, I'd pick Toy Story 3, The Lego Movie, and Kubo.  Beautiful storytelling in all 3...and the endings of all 3...just epic and awesome...if you have to have great moments, it pays to put them at the end:).

And since it's a Will Ferrell weekend, let's talk about where he completely shined in The Lego Movie - watch him act that last live action scene with his young boy and tell me you aren't almost brought to tears...he kept it understated and real...and tell me that you don't know some collector or someone else who had that same mindset about "stuff vs kids"...my husband went through a stage like that with his trade paperback collection...it took finding out how much his kids loved them to realize it was worth having them become "well-loved" vs "like new"...the movie hit that whole thing out of the park...

And the little-sister with duplos stuff at the very end of the lego movie. My kids are at the age, where little sister keeps destroying their lego build-ups [emoji4]
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummmm...no.

Even if you think it's the best of their recent rebirth...no way is that better than Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, or even The Little Mermaid...epic, epic movies, all 3...much better than Zootopia...and I liked Zootopia as an A- movie:)...

Zootopia is better than all of those three.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Zootopia is better than all of those three.

Nothing in Zootopia will be memorable 20 years from now...yet everyone has memories of those 3 movies...who couldn't visualize the entire "best opening of an animated movie ever" to the Lion King, who can't still see the Be Our Guest scene from Beauty or the Under the Sea scene from The Little Mermaid...

I have rewatched all of these movies and certain scenes from these movies 100 times over...nothing gets old, everything is so beautifully sung, animated, scripted, etc...it is the real renaissance of WDAS...nothing they've done in the 2000s hit that peak yet...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ttr said:

Can not see strong correlation there, maybe I do not understand the graph (?)

It not that clear because of world box office vs toy sales (that are a lot US)

That one seem clearer (broke down by franchise), the year with a movie are very clearly helping the sales (and the domestic popularity of the movie also seeming to be linked to the toys performance):

for-5446-p2.jpg

Spiderman:

for-5446-p4.jpg

X-Men:

for-5446-p5.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nothing in Zootopia will be memorable 20 years from now...yet everyone has memories of those 3 movies...who couldn't visualize the entire "best opening of an animated movie ever" to the Lion King, who can't still see the Be Our Guest scene from Beauty or the Under the Sea scene from The Little Mermaid...

I have rewatched all of these movies and certain scenes from these movies 100 times over...nothing gets old, everything is so beautifully sung, animated, scripted, etc...it is the real renaissance of WDAS...nothing they've done in the 2000s hit that peak yet...

Au contraire, I think it's going to be well remembered in the future.

7 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Can't tell if you're being serious or talking about the fact that I got my dick sucked to if

What in the fuck

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Can't tell if you're being serious or talking about the fact that I got my dick sucked to if

Was it the first time in forever? Did she let it go? Was love an open door or did you only see her in summer?

• Like 9