Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Logan, Kong is a reboot that counts as an original film imo

Original - No...

You might want to split into sequel, spin-off, remake, original, and premier (1st time made into a film but based on book/tv show/etc - I don't like "adapted" b/c adapted films sounds stupid)...

• Like 2

There is precedent for such a collapse w/ Ice Age 5 and Happy Feet 2. I don't think Despicable Me is at that point yet, though.

DM/Minions could definitely work in a small-screen capacity.

Edited by tribefan695

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Original - No...

You might want to split into sequel, spin-off, remake, original, and premier (1st time made into a film but based on book/tv show/etc - I don't like "adapted" b/c adapted films sounds stupid)...

they were divided in the original post as sequel and non-sequel. Going off that Kong definitely is a non-sequel

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

C'mon man lol. 

Don't you see this happening? This franchise is playing like a mini Transformers, with the fourth entry dropping at least 30% compared to the previous movie, while the third one decreased between 15%-17%. I don't see M2 doing a lot better than TF5, so, a sub $100m total for DM4 is realistic, IMO. 

1 minute ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Don't you see this happening? This franchise is playing like a mini Transformers, with the fourth entry dropping at least 30% compared to the previous movie, while the third one decreased between 15%-17%. I don't see M2 doing a lot better than TF5, so, a sub $100m total for DM4 is realistic, IMO. 

Minions 2 comes out before DM4 and I think if Minions 2 does poorly and is a poor film, I could see DM4 being the nail in the coffin. 

Never thought id say that 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

There is precedent for such a collapse w/ Ice Age 5 and Happy Feet 2. I don't think Despicable Me is at that point yet, though.

DM/Minions could definitely work in a small-screen capacity.

Minions 2 is going to do worse than Minions if it's the same quality. The Minions short in front of SLOP was hilarious and to me, that's their real strength, they work great in short bursts but not any longer. 

SLOP 2's box office will be interesting to watch. I won't be surprised if it decreases from the first domestically.

Edited by Jonwo

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

SLOP 2's box office will be interesting to watch. I won't be surprised if it decreases from the first domestically.

SLOP2 faces a lot of tough competition. It faces Spider-Man Homecoming 2 on OW and The Lion King two weeks later.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

SLOP2 faces a lot of tough competition. It faces Spider-Man Homecoming 2 on OW and The Lion King two weeks later.

I'm surprised Universal hasn't pushed it to July 12th to give it breathing room. They could still release it two weeks earlier OS. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Minions 2 is next, right? That shit ain't cracking 200M DOM. 

Minions 2 is difficult to predict in my opinion. If it follows the Shrek franchise like it has constantly M2 may do $150M domestic like PIB. On the other hand, Illumination hasn't had a sub $200M film since Hop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next weekend:

Spider-Man Homecoming: 110M

Despicable Me 3: 32.5M

Baby Driver: 14.5M

Wonder Woman: 7.3M

Transformers: 6M

Cars 3: 4.8M

The Beguiled: 4M

The House: 3.6M

47 Meters Down: 2.8M

The Big Sick: 2.2M

Wow why are u predicting such an harsh drop for WW?! I hope it has a 6th weekend with $10 mllion rank.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised Universal hasn't pushed it to July 12th to give it breathing room. They could still release it two weeks earlier OS. 

OS it'll be fine of course since they release it early but the July 12th spot might not be too good either and possibly face a big drop, The Lion King, if done right can open to $200M+.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Minions 2 is difficult to predict in my opinion. If it follows the Shrek franchise like it has constantly M2 may do $150M domestic like PIB. On the other hand, Illumination hasn't had a sub $200M film since Hop.

I fully expect Minions 2 to break that streak. 

• Like 1