Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Emoji Movie will do fine but I agree it looks like it'll have none of the charm of something like Lego Movie or Wreck it Ralph. 

It looks way too much like its trying hard to pander to the kids of today, and the concept was already DOA when they first announced. I certainly know I won't be checking it out in the cinemas, though I doubt it'll outright flop, since it's budget looks to be 60mish.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Yea I don't think Trump supporters were about to rush out and lift Black Panther to new heights no matter what. I'm pretty sure Bernie Sanders supporters didn't rush out and see American Sniper, either. Better to maximize support among your target audience. It'll be huge.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Looking at the WW numbers, franchise fatigue for the Despicable Me franchise is so apparent only in US.

At a WW level it is performing -15% of what Minions did, which is far from  shaby...

The reasons for this are up for grabs. I guess though that Gru was never as liked in US as in pretty much the rest of the world.

I think the bigger declines will happen with future sequels much like what happened with Ice Age, 

The humour of the DM and Minions films seem to be more slapstick compared to say The Lego Batman Movie which may be why it does better OS. 

• Like 1

Fuck Despicable Me 3 is going to hurt me in the derby, I shouldn't have overpredicted it like I did, then again few expected it to drop like it did.

7 hours ago, The Panda said:

I'm even more mad now I didn't make the DM3 < DM club a few weeks back.  I had to make that stupid WW 4th weekend club instead.

To be fair that WW club did seem like the right thing at the time. Despicable Me 3 was tracking for at least 100m at that point, few people actually expected it to underperform like it did. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Fuck Despicable Me 3 is going to hurt me in the derby, I shouldn't have overpredicted it like I did, then again few expected it to drop like it did.

I also overpredicted it, and I think I'm going to win the whole thing. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I also overpredicted it, and I think I'm going to win the whole thing. :ph34r:

Lucky you, stomps feet. Dammit Despicable Me 3. :sadben:

Edited by Fancyarcher

Just now, YourMother said:

I'm thinking $300M+ is happening.

Because of your comment, I looked up the teaser trailer for Black Panther. Looks awesome, and I don't usually care about superhero movies. I can see where the $300m target comes from.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Since the talk of BP has come and it really breaking out, I figured Id ask @grim22 if he talked to @Telemachos about changing the standards to my club/if it would be allowed :poker:

If WW and BP did $400M domestic would be the best thing ever for CBMs.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Because of your comment, I looked up the teaser trailer for Black Panther. Looks awesome, and I don't usually care about superhero movies. I can see where the $300m target comes from.

Not to mention it garnered great trailer views and opening on a 4 day weekend and Black History Month has its benefits.

Just now, YourMother said:

If WW and BP did $400M domestic would be the best thing ever for CBMs.

My club leaves BP out and has nothing to do with WW lol 

Its about the five films opening in May and June being the top grossers of 2018 and leaving the other blockbusters of 2018 in the dust :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It looks way too much like its trying hard to pander to the kids of today, and the concept was already DOA when they first announced. I certainly know I won't be checking it out in the cinemas, though I doubt it'll outright flop, since it's budget looks to be 60mish.

It looks like a film that going to be horribly outdated within a few years. As much as Illumination gets slack, they're better than SPA.

• Like 1