cookie

CAYOM 3.0 - Behind the Camera

Warms my nerdy heart to see people starting to pick out specific formatting choices for their movies since I'm way too interested in that bullshit.

That said, @cookie, if you're going into all this you should be aware that using an Ultra Panatar lens on the Alexa 65 will get you a maximum native ratio of 2.65:1 (which is a bit wider than a "flat" Cinerama image anyway) and that the absolute widest field of view you'll get with that setup's widest lens is about 94 degrees, which is a far cry from the 146 degree curve of the screen. Of course it IS pretty close to how most movies in the 60s were shot "for Cinerama" but it's very much a cheap knockoff sorta thing. Just figured I should let people know ;)

1 minute ago, Xillix said:

That said, @cookie, if you're going into all this you should be aware that using an Ultra Panatar lens on the Alexa 65 will get you a maximum native ratio of 2.65:1 (which is a bit wider than a "flat" Cinerama image anyway) and that the absolute widest field of view you'll get with that setup's widest lens is about 94 degrees, which is a far cry from the 146 degree curve of the screen. Of course it IS pretty close to how most movies in the 60s were shot "for Cinerama" but it's very much a cheap knockoff sorta thing. Just figured I should let people know ;)

I picked it because Rogue One and Hateful Eight used it. I don't know if there's any modern lens that can capture a wider field of view.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

I picked it because Rogue One and Hateful Eight used it. I don't know if there's any modern lens that can capture a wider field of view.

Yeah, it's a valid choice, gives you a lot more flexibility that's for sure! Just wanted to point out it's not the same effect.

Long story short I went to film school to try and be a cinematographer. Had to drop out for health issues but never lost the obsession with the technical nitty-gritty. If people are gonna be getting into this anyhow I might just do up some kinda better reference guide for people who want to be able to play around with formats. Obviously people are welcome to ignore the entire aspect but I find it entertaining, haha.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

They're not pre-loaded but I decided to post the other two films I am absolutely sure I will be focusing on for Year 5.

In expression violation of the rules you evil, evil villain!

Just make sure to tag me or PM me or w/e when they're done so I can actually add 'em

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xillix said:

In expression violation of the rules you evil, evil villain!

Just make sure to tag me or PM me or w/e when they're done so I can actually add 'em

Also can't resist the Page 1 real estate :sparta:

So I'm writing Sabrina's plot summary now, and I took a look inside the book and saw something that I want to talk to everyone about. Like most books, the book has a copyright, and it states that no part of the book may be reproduced in any form without written permission. I've seen that others have been able to write stories based off of books just fine, and it's not like any of us are selling plot summaries for money. It's just that I really want to use dialogue from the book. Do I have any reason whatsoever to request permission from the publisher or am I just being paranoid?

36 minutes ago, Slambros said:

So I'm writing Sabrina's plot summary now, and I took a look inside the book and saw something that I want to talk to everyone about. Like most books, the book has a copyright, and it states that no part of the book may be reproduced in any form without written permission. I've seen that others have been able to write stories based off of books just fine, and it's not like any of us are selling plot summaries for money. It's just that I really want to use dialogue from the book. Do I have any reason whatsoever to request permission from the publisher or am I just being paranoid?

I can practically guarantee you they will not care, primarily because they almost certainly will not find out.

One thing of note; be very careful with pacing and how much of the book you actually adapt. I wrote the first Amityville Nightmare while re-reading the novel and despite my efforts to cut subplots and the like it still wound up notoriously overstuffed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cookie said:

@4815162342 since Fortnight was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay, what source material was it based on besides the historical event? Asking because I'm putting together a list in the Oscar records thread.

It was based on the non-fiction book Washington's Crossing, by David Hackett Fischer.

51G1WxnxolL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1