cookie

CAYOM 3.0 - Behind the Camera

9 hours ago, cookie said:

When I wake up I will post a several paragraph rant on why I came to the decision I did.

Okay maybe cooler heads should prevail before I say something I'll regret (but I've already sacked them but it's a fantasy game so who cares lol). Lord knows Twitter's been on the creators' butts already (and it's gotten pretty nasty which I do not condone one bit).

But I ain't beating around the bush that it was a bad season that not only relied on too many contrivances, but also repeated a lot of character points I thought we were already over and done with seasons ago. And for a show I once thought were so forward-looking, when it came to finally including representation in a certain field it went for one of the most backwards-looking tropes without stepping into offensive stereotypes (that some think engaging in the "bury your gays" trope still makes you look progressive just because you had a gay character at all is a bit... troubling). I know the LD fanbase can be a bit... toxic sometimes, especially when it comes to shipping... but if this was made as a reaction to that it was executed in the poorest of ways. And the response to the complaints was... cowardly, to say the least. Doesn't even add up since if the theme of the season was sacrifice there sure was little of it (Adam didn't even get to make a sacrifice) and even the dullest of side characters got multiple pointless fakeouts plus a boring and stupid pseudo-villain got a far more ceremonious treatment. And the actual villain of the season (a henchman from season one who survived with no explanation lol) sucked while we're on that topic.

Spoiler

If you want to know who the villain is, you know the one I had Dougray Scott play in the first movie? Sendak? Yeah, him. And he's dull af in season seven. Should've just brought Lotor back.

I stand by the sacking though because with Reunion and SkyRiders (semi-spoilers for the latter lol) making genuine stabs at LGBT-representation having this air of negativity attached to their source of inspiration for content and talent makes me a bit queasy even now. I heard there were a lot of behind-the-scenes quarrel on whether or not LGBT-representation were going to be included in LD in the first place (there were talks of killing off Shiro all the way back in season two with the disappearing act I borrowed for the end of the first movie and then pull a Dumbledore on him but they wisely decided against it) but that doesn't excuse the end result nor the unsatisfactory response.

Apologies if this is all a bit incoherent but I just woke up after falling asleep at 4:30 A.M aka shitposting hour. Maybe I should take the day off and play my new copy of Nier: Automata instead (I heard there's at least one genuine lesbian character in that game so it's doubly ironic lol).

Edited by cookie
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, cookie said:

I stand by the sacking though because with Reunion and SkyRiders (semi-spoilers for the latter lol) making genuine stabs at LGBT-representation having this air of negativity attached to their source of inspiration for content and talent makes me a bit queasy even now. I heard there were a lot of behind-the-scenes quarrel on whether or not LGBT-representation were going to be included in LD in the first place (there were talks of killing off Shiro all the way back in season two with the disappearing act I borrowed for the end of the first movie and then pull a Dumbledore on him but they wisely decided against it) but that doesn't excuse the end result nor the unsatisfactory response.

I had no idea it was that bad. Disappointed to hear that. Perhaps you made the right choice.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 1:05 PM, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I had no idea it was that bad. Disappointed to hear that. Perhaps you made the right choice.

It's entirely possible something happened beyond anyone involved's control between the Comic-Con panel and the air date (that they proudly announced it at Comic-Con is probably half the reason there's this big backlash now) but it stung to see nonetheless.

Supposedly the voice cast really pushed for there to be LGBT-representation in the first place

Spoiler

(to spoil SkyRiders further, there's a reason IRL Pidge plays the lead. If you want hint, check her wiki page.)

so I don't mind keeping Klaus, Darby, Keaton and Shada on for SR. I don't think they had that much say in the writing anyway (which, in retrospect, has gone downhill over the past few seasons but it only really became apparent for me in season 7).

I'm not going to hold any further grudges and will give the final season a chance to redeem this last one. But I stand by my choice, even if it's only for my own reasons.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

Probably. Especially since Darkest Minds technically doesn’t exist in the CAYOM universe. :P

I was looking for a SkyRiders replacement and I wanted to still have a female director so I thought of her before remembering you had her for Spark. There's very few female animation directors in film beside her and Jennifer Lee so I'm kinda stumped.

8 minutes ago, cookie said:

I was looking for a SkyRiders replacement and I wanted to still have a female director so I thought of her before remembering you had her for Spark. There's very few female animation directors in film beside her and Jennifer Lee so I'm kinda stumped.

Dana Terrace? 

11 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

Dana Terrace

* checks *

That's... actually not a bad choice at all.

She's even working on DuckTales so I can even keep her for a future Duckverse movie :jeb!:

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, cookie said:

Trisha Gunn is co directing The Lego Movie 2. Brenda Chapman (Brave, the original Prince Of Egypt) as well.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord